CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to purchase oil for my bike today the mechanic recomended 10W50 motul oil i asked him about 10W40 after reading the forum i think he said its more synthetic and not as good is this a big deal or just go with 10W50

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
It doesnt really matter with the 10W40 or 50. Penrite makes their 10W40 stuff with "an extra 10" on the side as a marketing gimmick.

The most important thing is that you dont have any friction modifers in it, otherwise your clutch won't work

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cheers mate yeah i read the post about clutch slipping with wrong oil but there wasnt anything about what type was wrong only had the brands on there

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
i use sunoco motorbike full synthetic 10W50. IMO works better, ie no leaks, for the older MC22 engine

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
nappa4eva said:
i use sunoco motorbike full synthetic 10W50. IMO works better, ie no leaks, for the older MC22 engine
How does your clutch go?

personally, I use this stuff. And yes, its actually green

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Motul make different oils (not just viscosity) so you haven't given enough info for us to work with, BUT, it sounds like your mechanic is bullshitting you (probably only had 10w50 in stock). The difference between 10w40 and 10w50 is how thin the oil gets when it's hot, 10w50 oil won't thin out as quickly as 10w40 when oil temperature goes up, but it also might be too thick during regular running in cold temperatures (I think you'll be fine though).

Justin.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah he said he had to order it in he uses mobil 10W40 but i wanted motul because i've read its better (only want the best in my pride and joy) for some reason he could only get 10W50 in Motul i didnt ask why. So 10W50 is thicker when hot so less chances of leaks being an older engine makes sense i guess and it never really gets that cold here for it to be an issue with running temps i wouldnt imagine. So theres dif types of motul oil, what type is best and i hope thats what he ordered cause its on its way thanx for help

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
It's not about leaks, it's about adequate protection.

http://www.linkint.com.au/motul_4_stroke_oils_page.html 5100 is their "standard" stuff and most likely what you're getting.

I wouldn't want the best in my engine unless you're paying for it... :lol:

I use Fuchs Titan Super GTO, full synthetic 10w40 with no friction modifiers and less than $10 a litre. GOOD oil and GREAT price.

Justin.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Usually you get what you pay for so i figure its got to be more expensive for some reason. Obviously the bikes nearly 20 years old so its prob seen its fair share of shit oil and me spending the extra money on oil now prob wont benefit much but it will keep me happy knowing shes running on the goods

·
Registered
14 Posts
I switched to Motul 7100 10w40 a week or two ago. It's the full synthetic one. I'm a fan, no leaks, fixed an issue with my bike not finding neutral while turned on and not rolling. So i'll keep using it.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Ian, sounds like they adjusted your clutch.

If you want to look after your bike, frequent oil changes are better than expensive oil..

Justin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
sir.b said:
Ian, sounds like they adjusted your clutch.

If you want to look after your bike, frequent oil changes are better than expensive oil..

Justin.
Nah, i did it myself. All i did was oil, coolant and plugs.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
sir.b said:
It's not about leaks, it's about adequate protection.

http://www.linkint.com.au/motul_4_stroke_oils_page.html 5100 is their "standard" stuff and most likely what you're getting.

I wouldn't want the best in my engine unless you're paying for it... :lol:

I use Fuchs Titan Super GTO, full synthetic 10w40 with no friction modifiers and less than $10 a litre. GOOD oil and GREAT price.

Justin.
in your 250rr? i'm after another oil to compare to motul for an oil change coming up. haven't had a problem with it, but if i can still get good oil without the premium $, i'll be happy.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
what with the 'no oil leaks'
most full syn oil will make your clutch slip on older bike especially the cibby , if it's not you're driving like a pansie.
recommend motul 5100

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Oil technology has come ahead heaps since cibby was designed,
modern oil stays in grade heaps better, the helix or ball shaped molecules in the oil that open up when oil gets hot to make the thin base oil thick, and that get sliced up by mcycle gear box,
'viscosity index improvers' have become a lot stronger,

most manufacturers use the same ad pacs, additive packages, and friction modifiers aren't used for a variety of reasons, some car parts don't like them either,
so as long as you don't leave your engine idling cold, or lug in a high gear, and change it occasionally, use the cheapest semi syn oil, and send the balance to me

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
upper said:
in your 250rr? i'm after another oil to compare to motul for an oil change coming up. haven't had a problem with it, but if i can still get good oil without the premium $, i'll be happy.
My 600s. Same shit though. Give it a go.

Available at Burson auto.

Justin.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts