CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals,

What is y'all opinion of a 200 rear tyre going on a GSXR1000 as opposed to the standard 190?

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
200 if you're a fully hektic drag junkie. 190 if you want to ride the thing.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Are you talking about some sort of R420 or R16 tyre? Or an R17 200?

I'm guessing that you're talking about the R17's which are cruiser tyres, it seems a bit totally insane to do that to a bike, what are you after? More tyre life? Better commuting? If so the harder 190's are a better go, they put them on heavyweight tourers, so you're going to find tyres that will last to the end of time if you want.

If you're after something with a bit more performance then you might want to think about trying to fit a 190/55, I'm not sure if you can fit it or it will foul on the swingarm, but inevitably somebody somewhere will have tried it and posted it on a forum.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
You can run a 200/70 pretty safely on a thou. Fuck you can run em on a 600 if you're feeling keen (or they're a control tyre...)

You'll easy get a 190/55 onto the gix mate.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
there are some thous where a 190/55 will foul on the swingarm under hard acceleration.

BTW Isn't a 200/70 an R16?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm talking about older thous as well, early to mid 2000's

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Well DBanger rides a K9.

Iunno if street tyres are somehow different, dunno anyone having an issue with 190/55's on a thou with stock wheels and swingarm.. plenty of people running 200's on stock wheels too.[hr]
And as to whether a 200 is an R16 (we are talking diameter here yeah..?) I doubt it.. they fit on stock rims.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A 200 will fit, that's not the issue. I am just wondering if anyone has done it on here and can give any feedback to the difference it will make. I have googled a fair bit and even went into (here we go) the Gixxer forum. Majority of people gave negative feedback to the handling of the bike with a 200. What I don't understand is I have bought them from a mate who races a 600cc which has 200's on the back. How come a sponsored professional racer will recommend me this tyre, yet half the internet won't. I am going to put them on no matter what, as the price is just too good. But what I was hoping to hear was someone who has done it and can give some 'real' feedback, not just jump on a bandwagon like everyother forum does.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
D Banger said:
A 200 will fit, that's not the issue. I am just wondering if anyone has done it on here and can give any feedback to the difference it will make. I have googled a fair bit and even went into (here we go) the Gixxer forum. Majority of people gave negative feedback to the handling of the bike with a 200. What I don't understand is I have bought them from a mate who races a 600cc which has 200's on the back. How come a sponsored professional racer will recommend me this tyre, yet half the internet won't. I am going to put them on no matter what, as the price is just too good. But what I was hoping to hear was someone who has done it and can give some 'real' feedback, not just jump on a bandwagon like everyother forum does.
first of all.. if you have already made up your mind why get upset when ppl dont agree.. or even ask the question? validation

as for real feedback, i suspect you would struggle with that as not many ppl would do that to a road bike because its pointless. an opinion of a professional racer that i would gather uses them as race tyres is about as relevant to road riding as... *insert witty remark*.. i suspect he runs something like 20 - 25 psi hot in the tyres too if they are a race number. good luck running that on the road. some feedback if more relevant than other.

a lot of course depends on make if the tyre. not all 190's or 200's are created equal (as in the width varies). if you got them for a cheap price it may be worth the experiment but in general terms it will alter the geometry of your bike which will have most likely an adverse effect on the handling unless the bike is set up for it (my race bike would dramatically change how it behaved (for the worse) by just going from 50 to a 55 profile tyre). add to that the fact that a wider tyre will most likely make the bike harder to tip in.

what tyres are they anyway? dunlops Gp racers? D209's i think they are?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I had a 200 dunlop qualifier on my 954 when i bought it, Then i put the pilot road 2 and put it on and it was so much easier to ride and turn, that tyre got slashed about 1500 klms later and now its got a 190 in a power on it, easier to turn again? must have been a different profile between it and the touring tyre, But anywho, get 190 mate.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
FWIW, cold 209's aren't sticky. At all.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Cerberus said:
richo said:
FWIW, cold 209's aren't sticky. At all.
most supersport tyres arent sticky when cold! i would never recommend using any verision of the supersport tyre for the road.
Totally agree, but compared to say the Supercorsas on Sophie atm the 209's are even slipperyer :/

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
yeah supercorsas arent too bad compared to some others.. tho it depends on heat cycles too.. 8 pins and metal plate later were enough to convince me never to run supersport tyres without them being on warmers first :p lol

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good reply Cerby, and yeah, my post was a bit contradictive, but hey, it was 4:30am. Yes, they are Dunlop GPR's. I get 2 rears and a front for $320, they have done a few laps on them, but the middle is like new and the edges just scuffed up a bit. I guess I will have to post some feedback after I put them on this weekend if you like. In the long run, I could just set the bike up to allow 200's as I am getting them pretty cheap.[hr]
mitch179 said:
I would just stick with the factory tire sizes, I think they did a fair bit of R&D with those eh!

Maybe, and sizes are one thing, but my bike came out with Bridgestones, which are really shit, who r&d'd that, or does money speak louder then research sometimes? Not everything factory is beneficial.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Honestly dude, I wouldn't run them on the street.

Saving a few hundy on tyres, only to spend many times that on repairing fairings and then STILL buy tyres just isn't worth it imho.

Hope it works out for you though.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
ok.. if they are the GPR's do keep something in mind.. ex race tyres go through heat cycles and even tho have tread left they might have used up all the catalyst in the tyres that when hot, makes them sticky.. this means that they wont grip.

also, might not be as much of a problem in sunny QLD but on cold/wet nights/days you will struggle for grip.. and i mean that in a real scary sense when it feels like you are riding on ice. so factor in the safety into the "saving". new fairings might cost more than new rubber. As stated above supersport tyres are shit cold.. period. and again, as stated above, its not 12 months on since i added 8 pins and a plate to my wrist after riding on BT003's on a cold night (highside). they are an equivalent to the GPR;s in grip. now, not to talk it up etc but i have at that stage ridden over 80 000km, most of them on race rubber and i still got cought out. for extra $80 get yourself a set of pilot powers that will behave brilliantly in the wet and dry, will hold up to a track day and you should get close to 10 000km on them which will be more than the two GPR's combined.

thats my advice on the matter even tho i know its slightly off topic as you only asked about the profiles. just given my experience i figure i might as well try and save someone from similar fate! ;)

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Cerby, and don't hold back mate, every bit of info is handy. I have always had Pilot Powers and just thought I would try something different as the price was good. I am not a super fast rider, so I will take even more caution on a rubber I don't know. I am not one of these riders that have to be in front, or if a random rider overtakes me it must mean he wants to race me etc. Just wanted to hear some thoughts of people who have had a 200 on there bike, so thank you. I must say though, the Pirelli Super Corsa that Hurricane has on his bike, are by far the stickiest rubber I have ridden on, but yeah, going off topic big time.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Supercorsas come in a race compound and a street one. Even then, the street compound is hard to keep on the boil.

FWIW, those dunlops will be WAY stickier than any road tyre, once they're up to temp. However if you get them there on the road you're breaking the law and in all liklihood the lives of those around you and yourself..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts