CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hesitant to post due to the amount threads I've found on the issue in case I'm asking questions that have been answered time and time again. At this point, I feel like I've been through over 20 threads including the official 'my bike won't start' thread and cannot quite find the answer.

I've recently landed a job interstate so i've decided to sell the MC22. I Haven't ridden the bike since the start of the year but I have had the bike started and running several times since just to give the engine a bit of a run and make sure everything is okay. The bike has always had a bit of trouble starting on cold mornings or if it hasn't run in a while, its very much in need of a carby clean but I don't have the tools or knowhow to do it so I've neglected it.

After deciding to sell it, I gave it a really good clean on the weekend. In the process I threw several buckets of water over it thinking there wouldn't be a problem with that (I've ridden it in the rain plenty of times with no issue). After getting someone who wanted to come look at it, I thought i'd give it a bit of a run and make sure its all sweet before the bloke came, and no response. I turn the ignition on and the dash lights come on and headlights work, but the start button gives me absolutely nothing.

After looking into all the threads on here I've checked the fuses, battery connections and wires to the starter motor visually and with a multimeter and can't find any issues. (Killswitch and sidestand deffinitely checked). The battery measures at 12.1V which drops to 12 when I have the ignition turned on which I thought was a bit low but still enough to at least give me a response but I don't even hear clicks of relays or anything.

I live on a hill and rolled down the entire thing trying to jump start it in second gear and didn't get much, but that wasn't surprising as it was giving me a similar response to what I'd get if I hadn't ridden it in a while and tried starting it normally.

I'm really unsure of where to go from here, what to check, what to replace, literally any information would be fantastic as I really need to sell this bike and its a fantastic bike I'd hate to only get a couple hundred because it doesn't start.

·
Registered
27,301 Posts
Try the usual, clean plugs, charge battery and check if fuel has water. Weak batteries are the Achilles heel of the 250's sadly

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, tossing water was probably coincidental since you didn't try to start it beforehand. Can't test individual components, because they are part of larger system. So need to test circuits which includes multiple components and wiring in between.

1. Battery is low, plug it into trickle-charger overnight. Also disconnect headlights or pull 2x headlight fuses so there's no more drain than necessary. What is voltage of battery after charging overnight?

2. next let's pull EVERY fuse and measure it with multimeter. What resistance/ohms do you get for every one? List them all. Especially main 30-amp fuse on starter-solenoid.

3. Key/main-switch ON. Put transmissions into neutral. Does neutral light turn on?

4. Measure resistance (ohms) between G/R terminal of starter solenoid and chassis-ground.
4a. how many ohms with clutch-lever out?
4b. how many ohms with clutch-lever squeezed in?

5. Measure voltage at R wire going into main-switch. How many volts do you get?

6. Main-switchON, measure voltage at R/B wire coming out of main-switch. How many volts do you get?

7. Main-switch+kill ON, measure voltage at B wire going into start-button. How many volts do you get?

8. Main-switch+kill ON, measure voltage at Y/R wire going out of start-button. Push start-button. How many volts do you get?

9. Main-switch+kill ON, measure voltage at Y/R wire going into starter-solenoid. Push start-button How many volts do you get?

10. Main-switch+kill ON, measure voltage at M-terminal of starter-solenoid. Push start-button. How many volts do you get?

11. Main-switch+kill ON, measure voltage at big power cable @ starter. Push start-button. How many volts do you get?

12. unplug side-stand switch from harness. Measure resistance/ohms between two terminals of side-stand switch:
a. What is resistance/ohms between terminals with side-stand up?
b. What is resistance/ohms between terminals with side-stand down?

The numbers from these measurements will pinpoint EXACTLY where problem in system and how to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:
Thanks so much for getting back to me about this. I've had some progress, but still not overly sure what's happening. These issues are compounded by my bike having Tyga kit so several parts are not where they are supposed to be. Being the amateur I am, it took me forever to find the fuse box which was under the headlights. I'll answer your list (thanks so much for this btw) and then give an update on what's happening.

1. Battery is low, plug it into trickle-charger overnight. Also disconnect headlights or pull 2x headlight fuses so there's no more drain than necessary. What is voltage of battery after charging overnight?

Done; 13.5V

2. next let's pull EVERY fuse and measure it with multimeter. What resistance/ohms do you get for every one? List them all. Especially main 30-amp fuse on starter-solenoid.
Is this starter solenoid fuse the fuse to the right of the battery? sitting in a rubber housing accessed by taking red plug out?. If so, this fuse was at 0.00.

Others were:
10A st/ign: 0.2
10A Meter, tail, horn: 0.3
15A Head light: 0.4
10A Fan: 0.3

3. Key/main-switch ON. Put transmissions into neutral. Does neutral light turn on?
Yes

4. Measure resistance (ohms) between G/R terminal of starter solenoid and chassis-ground.
4a. how many ohms with clutch-lever out?
4b. how many ohms with clutch-lever squeezed in?

I'm not quite sure where the starter / solenoid is, and if it is the thing I mentioned next to the battery with the 30a fuse, I can't see a g/r terminal. Sorry if I sound like an idiot. here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

For all the rest, does this involve taking the main switch apart to get to those wires?

12. unplug side-stand switch from harness. Measure resistance/ohms between two terminals of side-stand switch:
a. What is resistance/ohms between terminals with side-stand up?
b. What is resistance/ohms between terminals with side-stand down?

Ran out of time yesterday to get to this part. I'll have another google tonight and try find where to locate the side stand switch and have another crack. Here's whats happening now though:

After chucking the battery on charge overnight, I cracked in to testing out the fuses. When I finally located the fuse box and opened it, it was dripping wet. I stuffed some paper towel in there for a minute to soak up some moisture before hitting it with WD40 automotive electric cleaner. I chucked the charged battery in and you beauty! It started!

30 seconds later it cut out and I once again had no response from the start button. I pulled the fuses out again and gave the box a spray and then it started again. 1 minute later, same deal. Did the same again and it started again and did not cut out. I started it again this morning, after running it for 10 minutes I put my gear on and took it for a ride, getting about 50m down the street before it cut out again and start button wouldn't give anything. I hopped off, waited for a minute, then turned it back on and started it again and rode home and started writing this post.

Hope this gives some more info to go on, could this possibly be the kickstand switch?
Thanks again for all your help lads.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey good work! Yep, this is starter-solenoid:

Plug connector back in and pry off rubber-boot on top. Then you can back-probe the terminal where wires go in. Same with ignition-switch, trace wires back out to connector where you can back-probe it.

I think you found problem! Darn fuse-box is water-logged. First, should find out how water got in there and fix it. Is there cover missing? Or a hole in bodywork over it?

It's probably been soaking for a while, corrosion is most likely issue. I think you're gonna have to remove fuse-box from bike, disassemble it as much as possible. Blast pile of parts with hair-drier to get rid of all water. Then inspect every single piece of metal contact and perhaps lightly sand or polish to get rid of corrosion. Re-assemble and put back on bike.

Keep up good work, you're getting there! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah sweet ill get on to that when I get another day to tinker with things and let you know how I go.

Cheers again legend!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Dannoxyz,

Just touching base as I forgot to let you know how things went!

I followed your tips and it worked a treat! Bike actually runs a hell of a lot better and cranks first go every time now which I always thought was carby related but maybe this was also impacting that?

Either way, thanks so much for your help. I manged to sell the bike this week. It was a real shame to see it go, but I got more than I wanted for it so that's a definite bonus.

Thanks again mate!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts