CBR250 Forums banner

Bike was knocked over

5K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  HauntedDawg 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Long time reader and first time post but great site to everyone!

My cbr 250RR was knocked over recently at work and because of the damage vs age of bike the insurance company wrote it off.

I purchased the bike back because it was only fairing damage
(cowl,windscreen,H-frame, and some scuffs on the ducktail)

It was about 6 weeks before i could pick it back up and now i have it at home i started it and eventually it fired up (i assume 6 weeks stationary did this), took it for a little ride up and down the road to see how it was.

It doesnt pick up very well and seems to 'bog down' if I apply revs, almost like its the rev limiter, but then if you hold the throttle in the right place it does pick up a little better

Is there a procedure for after a bike has been knocked over, things i should check or do before any more riding?
A friend said it could be oil on the spark plug but i thought it would have burnt off during starting?

I dont know how long the bike was on it side for, security at my work found it like that and then stood it back up.

But something to note is the bike was absolutely fantastic prior to this, no flat spots and mechanically excellent, it also had just come back from the mechanics a week earlier where the carbs were cleaned and balanced, hence performing so well.

Any help/info on what to do or look for would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Replace spark plug's, you might need to clean carb's depending on how long it was on it side, normaly all the gunk flow's into the floatbowl (from what i've heard) that it's leaning to and can block up jet's, but then again, it's jut been cleaned and balanced, so that's not an issue. I would reckon spark plug's need some cleaning or replacing.

#7 ·
@eddd no i didnt a friend and myself changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and plugs about 2000km's
ago, then i had the carbies cleaned and balanced about 2 weeks before accident.

I know someone hit my bike as it fell stand side (hope this doesnt change possible causes?) when i got back to it was in a different position with above damage.

Ill look at the plugs in the next 4 days im working nights atm

So just to re-cap there isnt a "u must do this procedure" for bike that have been knocked over?
i was worried that fluids may gone where they shouldnt have and i would need to drain the oil and all of that and start with a clean dry engine and try again?

#8 ·
as per the exhaust...

http://cbr250.com/forum/thread-1170-page-1.html?highlight=trading+post

Just making sure it wasn't you.. I put the high octane thing and the recent service thingo together.

God help you if it is...

My bike got knocked over once (old one did) and it was fuel injected, but most dirt bikes i've dropped have flooded and the like, most probably some carbie issue.

Try it again, shit sometimes just fixes itself.

#12 ·
lol @ eddd that bike is disgusting, i would be to embarrassed to ask for help with that thing,
I only paid $4000 for my bike and it was in pristine condition with only 30,000 kms on the clock.

Will get some photos up for you guys

just wanted to say thanks to all those that posted, really appreciate the help.

#21 ·
My bike had similar damage to this, iv ended up replacing the entire fairing set because I cant handle anything that turns heads in a bad way.
On eBay it costs $550 for a complete fairing set, which I currently have and they certainly are quality but then again I'm no master painter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.