CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a CBR250RR the bike will not crank. I can push start it but when pressing the ignition there is no sound. the bike will die if you dont rev. The starter relay plug located below the seat is a bit corroded, plastic is a bit melted and metal is a bit dirty o_O. do you think thats the problem ? where can i get a new one (the socket for the relay) & relay & for how much?? im asking this question before i look into the coils, plugs, cdi & blackbox to try find the source of the problem & not to spend money on things which arent necessary

Battery is new & good.
Spark plugs are new.
Checked kill switch contact points.
Fuses all good.
Bike in Neutral, clutch in & stand up

Bike did crank once for about 1 min. (engine did not turn over. i assembled the petcock diaphram wrong and fuel was not going through at the time)
I bought the bike not running, it was sitting outside for months ..

Thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Jump start it off your car to 100% eliminate battery. If it starts its your battery. Even new batteries can cause problems. Make sure the battery terminals are clean and well connected first.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I've seen a starter relay burn out once and all I did was repaired the terminals on the wire side & replace the reg/rec as that wasn't charging the bike as well.
I have a secondhand one here $20 pm me local pick up

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there a way i can test the relay? your about two hours away Aj, wreckers charging $40 and sydney city motorcycles $53.70 brand new

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Put power to the switch side of the relay, if it clicks when you ground it. It works, if not its dead
From memory its the pins 86/87
because 30 is batt post & 85 is ground

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a 2nd hand relay and installed it. still same problem. when i short the two cables that are going into the relay i can hear the engine cranking. The plug that goes into the relay is corroded could that be the problem ? (ive seen worst plugs and they still perform) i dont see how i can repair it unless i rip a plug off another CBR. i tried to disconnect the terminals from the plug but its stuck due to the corrosion. is there a way i can test the ignition button to rule it out 100% as not the problem?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm pretty sure the starter wiring circuit has a fuse inline, under the left side fairing in a little box, along with another few fuses that control lights etc. I'd check that first (if you haven't already), but if you can hotwire it at the relay I'd suspect a dodgy starter button. Also, check all the wiring behind the gauges is connected properly, where the starter button connects back onto the main loom. You're definitely on the right track though, get an ohm-meter (digital multimeter) and test for excessive resistance through the starter button by disconnecting the plugs from the loom and putting the ohm-meter across the two wires, with the button pressed. If it's high or open circuit you've found the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah checked all them fuses. will have to grab my multimeter from work and check the starter button tomorrow. also i just ripped apart the corroded plug that goes into the relay and its all fine. LOL will have to re-crimp the cables now though =.="

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still new to motorcycles or anything mechanical. I do not know what a starter motor is. I googled it briefly earlier will be googling it tomorrow. Lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stupid question but isnt the starter motor turning the sound you hear when pressing the start button? if so there is no sound when start button is hit, it does turn when shorting the cables on the relay though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also if my spark plugs are now fouled would that affect the starter motor turning over? i may need to replace my spark plugs due to all the times hitting the start button? another note when i took off the carbys to clean there was heaps of fuel/water in them and the cyclinders i had to roll start it a shit load of times to make it spit out. probably something i should of mentioned before

·
Registered
541 Posts
If the starter motor wasn't turning when you were hitting the starter button, I wouldn't worry about your spark plugs. It's only when you're cranking the starter motor for ages without actually getting the motor fired up that'll foul the plugs. Fix one issue at a time mate!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey aj how exactly do I put power onto the switch. I've found that my starter button/kill switch has been re wired. Cables are crossing over doesn't look factory. I don't know if the cables are properly wired due to mismatch of cable colours. One kill switch cable goes to pin 30 other pin 87 goes to starter relay/solenoid ? Is this correct?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put 12v power from the battery to the relay on pins 30 & 87 no clicking noise what so ever with ignition on & off. That relay is not working? How much is the relay ? Can I get it 2nd hand or brand new at a decent price?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Problem resolved! Dodgey wiring from the start button/kill switch. The shit people do ....

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
stupid question but isnt the starter motor turning the sound you hear when pressing the start button? if so there is no sound when start button is hit, it does turn when shorting the cables on the relay though.
I'm not sure what shorting the cables on the relay means or does, but it sounds like you have found your problem :)

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
also if my spark plugs are now fouled would that affect the starter motor turning over? i may need to replace my spark plugs due to all the times hitting the start button? another note when i took off the carbys to clean there was heaps of fuel/water in them and the cyclinders i had to roll start it a shit load of times to make it spit out. probably something i should of mentioned before
No .. sparks have nothing to do with whether or not the starter motor will .. errr .. start

1 - 20 of 22 Posts