CBR250 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 MC22. I bought it as a project and have most of the mechanical work done but I can't get it to fire. It has never started in my possession.
I replaced plugs, air filter, changed oil, replaced the battery (Li-ion), and fuel tap. The engine sputters and I can hear ignition while cranking but it won't fire and continue running. It'll run a couple seconds if I spray starter fluid.
I tried pouring gas into the fuel line without the tank and fuel starts to flow out of the overflow ports on the carb so I don't want to try that again. Strangely the engine sometimes stalls the starter. I can turn the engine over if I attempt a bump start but still no continuous ignition.
What am I missing? I reviewed the "Bike Won't Start" thread and verified the run switch and fuel are turned on.
The only electrical peculiarity I can find is the neutral light is always on. If the sensor is grounding out, can this be my issue? Send me what you have, I'll try anything!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I replaced the fuel tap and cleaned the carbs as best as I can a second time. Some of the screws securing the bowls are stuck and won't come loose. I tried a spare carb but still nothing. (Spare carb leaked)

I know it's getting gas because fuel pours out of the carbs when I remove them.

Is it possible I have the wrong spark plugs? I think it's getting spark because it runs for a few seconds on starter fluid. It ran strong for a brief moment when I poured too much starting fluid in.

Also, I'm running 91 octane gas (US). This is a long shot, but would I be better off with 87?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it. I could only open one of the fuel bowls because at least one of the 3 screws on each one is stuck and won't break loose. I tried penetrating oil for several days to get them to pop loose. I'll give it another go today and get it cleaned up.

What gauge copper wire should I be using? I'll need to get some

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks for that! I ordered some brushes this morning. I have JIS screwdrivers but I don't have a JIS bit for my impact screwdriver. I'll get one on order today.

For reassembling the jets, do they just go back together or is there a whole tuning process upon reassembly?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to give them a shot this week. I sorta started last week but had a whole bunch of crap come up that stopped me from getting into the garage. Topping it off, the engine in my Tuono let go this past Friday at Buttonwillow. I'll address that later this summer.

If I still don't get anywhere, I'll give this guy a shout. I just wish he was on my side of the country!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't do anything because he needed a rebuild kit before he could start any work. I set out to clean the jets that were in there just to see what would happen because the rebuild kit wasn't supposed to arrive until August. However it showed up Friday so I thought I'd give it a shot myself.

Install was easy and I found a good video online of what to remove and replace. So I swapped out both jets, cleaned the tunnels through the carb with carb cleaner, and figured I'd be good. Nope, still won't start.

I'm out of ideas and I'm beginning to think it's something other than just the carb. Will the bike run the starter if one of the safety switches is triggered, like the kickstand switch? Because it cranks, it just doesn't want to fire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got the rebuild kit off ebay but the jets were 4 sizes smaller than what came with the bike. Gordon cleaned the stock jets and it works perfectly. I'm registered for a trackday in a week! Can't wait.

Do you have your bike registered in CA? If so, did you have to go through any crazy hoops to get a title?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.