CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YOU'RE A NOOB LIKE ME, AND YOU WANT ASSISTANCE WITH STARTING YOUR BIKE.
DOES YOUR BIKE CRANK, BUT DOES NOT FOLLOW THROUGH?
WHAT TO DO?
Have you tried push starting? Checked all wires/cables are connected? Battery OK & charged? Petrol lines are not blocked? Carbs and Air filter are clean?

OK so you have checked and tried everything.
What I did was I decided to change the spark plugs as it's what was recommended from other CBR forums. The Carb seals were replaced and valve clearances done by the last owner, so I didn't think the Carbs was the problem. The MC22 starts perfectly fine now!

When I first took out the OLD spark plugs, it was black at the very end. It smelt and contained of petrol. I think with the little knowledge that I know about MC22s, that the spark plugs weren't getting any spark because of the petrol flooding it.

Now, that the NEW spark plugs are in, it starts first time every time.

MY ADVICE TO ANYONE WHO HAS A CBR250RR & HAS TROUBLE STARTING IT:
If it cranks, but doesn't follow through, Check your spark plugs first as this is cheap to replace and you've got to do it one day. Only thing you stress about is TIME. Taking off the fairings, the plastic covers on each side of the undertank, and loosening the radiator can take you up to 1 hour, squeezing your hands into the limited space you got underneath the air box/above the engine... but in my opinion, once you've done so, you have a better knowledge on where the bolts and screws sit for next time & a better understanding of your bike and its' parts.

I have attached photos of where the leads/spark plugs are situated so you know where to start. Remember to take off the fairings accordingly and loosen the radiator so you got room to weave and dodge your fingers in there. GOOD LUCK

[attachment=145]
[attachment=146]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
This has all been covered it the sticky thread!
What other Cbr forums?
You have to remember you are looking for advice on the Internet, I could diognose your bike in seconds if it was in front of me but when your half way round the world and explaining things it ain't so easy.
Glad you got her started.
I recomend a full service done by yourself if you are not sure of the bikes history?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know what guys, after putting in those fresh plugs, tried starting the bike this morning... NO F'ING LUCK AGAIN!!!!! It just cranks but doesn't follow through. Same story as last time before I changed the plugs.. I am over these Carb bikessss honestly... just CBF anymore..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey guys, tried starting the bike today after not starting her for a week, I thought I'd leave it this long to try start or do anything to her because I have this theory that last week I clogged the spark plugs with too much petrol and if I leave the bike for a week without starting, the spark plugs could dry up and start again.

Still, again the bike won't start. It just does the same thing, cranks over but does not follow through.
Could I have caused damage to the new fresh spark plugs again? I tried to crank the bike over 20 sec - 30 sec periods.

I think I may have to tune the carbs or buy a new airfilter.. what do you guys think?
How much would it cost me to tune the carbs by a mechanic?
I live in Melbourne Australia.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
You can sell it me for fitty dorra!

S

·
0 Posts
Lol at this thread.

Look at me I'm a noob and i can solve all your not starting problems with just changing the spark plugs and now my bike starts first time every time.

31 hours later

My stupid bike won't start.

xcwizit

Don't take this too personal champ, it just made me laugh at the fact that your pretty new here, admit that your a noo and yet still give advice why cbr's won't start. Then yours won't start and you ask for help. Can you see the funny side?

As for your bike. What sort of technique are you using to start the bike?

The reason I ask is that I've seen too may new bike owners that do a 47 point safety check on themselves and their bike before hitting the starting. Mind you they have had the ignition on the whole time.

It doesn't take long for the battery to fall below the voltage that will crank the engine, but slowly and then foul plugs due to weak spark. Another thing to check is to see if the battery is getting fully charged when the bike is running.

Are you using too much choke?

The last question is what sort of fuel are you using and how fresh is it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Studricho: LOL I can see the funny side of it mate. Makes me look quite stupid as a matter a fact, that is why I've joined this forum and tried to be a hero and thank everyone that I've started the bike again and now won't start.

Hrmm the battery seems fine. I don't use the choke.
Today, I decided to pull everything apart again, the spark plugs look ok, am I supposed to "SCREW" the leads back on top of the spark plug? I noticed that there is a thread on top of the plug so I tried screwing the lead as much as I can turn it clockwise without damaging the lead.

In regards to starting the bike, my technique is, turn on ignition, and press the start button, occasionally I would move the throttle abit to get that bit of push. is this wrong?[hr]
So i pulled everything apart and in regards to the fuel tank, the fuel is only running out from the bigger hose. I have Hose line #2 connected but there is nothing come out. I have tried pushing the fuel to ON --> RESERVE, and still it only leaks from Fuel line #1. There is Fuel line #3.. I have no hose attached to this... Is this supposed to be attached to anything? I have attached a photo of what I mean!

Since, I got the bike, I only filled up once and it was BP - ULTIMATE.
Is this the wrong fuel to use? I believe it is 98RON. I know these CBRs run fine on 91RON which is your normal unleaded fuel, but I thought I'd give her abit more cleaner fuel.[hr]
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4779/petrollineforums.jpg

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
Fuel line one is were the fuel should come out and fuel line 2 is were the vacuum hose (smaller hose) attaches too.

Do me favour. test your fuel tap. Turn to res and then using a small hose on the fuel line 2 suck on that hose.

This should open the diaphragm up and fuel should pour out.

Let me know how you go. I have seen where either the diaphragm has carked it, vacuum hose either split or just the filter in the tank block.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
studricho said:
Fuel line one is were the fuel should come out and fuel line 2 is were the vacuum hose (smaller hose) attaches too.
Do me favour. test your fuel tap. Turn to res and then using a small hose on the fuel line 2 suck on that hose.
This should open the diaphragm up and fuel should pour out.
Let me know how you go. I have seen where either the diaphragm has carked it, vacuum hose either split or just the filter in the tank block.
Thanks for the advice studricho. So you're telling me fuel line #2 should be pouring out petrol as well ? You want me to suck the petrol out... does not sound healthy man hehe

I tried puting a little pin inside that line #2 .. is there a way to check INSIDE the tank?
And is the diaphragm located in the petrol tank? or where the hose ends up the other end ?

MAn, I sound such a fuK!n noob... thanks so mch for ur patience man ...
Could this be the reason why my bike doesnt start?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
u knw wat guys.. turns out .. the spark plugs I recently put in got fouled .. bought new ones..

Instead of buying NGK - CR9EH-9 ... I decided to buy CR8EH-9 the shop guy sed high heat resistance .. and now the bike starts and runs like normal again !!!!!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
i had 8's and the bike would lag on revs and just grumble lol, when i put cr9 back in and it liked it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How weird ey ... with these 8's & 9's .. When I put the 9's in .. the bike didn't like it .. it would grumble and lag .. after putting in the 8's .. it runs like a gem again ...

very weird true AJ26 ??

·
Registered
82 Posts
Didnt know which thread to bump, but this seems ok. Got my bike Wednesday, put a new battery, starts foine. Still haven't gone for a ride, was gonna go last night, but didn't hink that was the best idea, woke up 6am, tried to start my bike, it cranked. Nada. How long can you hold the start button for? I tried a few seconds, and did it a few times, and gave up, it wasnt even that cold this morning.I thought I was gonna ruin my spark plugs, so I went back inside. Felt like kicking my bike. Started fine last night, before I went to sleep.. thought it would be a good time to ride, early sunday morning...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Take your bike off its side stand, put it in second gear, hold the clutch in while either you or a friend push it ( preferably down a hill ). If its on a steep hill and it's an MC22, let the entire bike go and watch in admiration. If its an MC19, make sure you're sitting on the bike and once you get a bit of speed up to help the inertia and then let the clutch out. Again, make sure it's in second gear because first gear should really be used for taking off from a stand still. To be honest, You should try your choke first and also check a multitude of other things before push starting.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My neighbour had a look at it, checked the battery, was flat, charged it a bit, tried to start, still nothing. Got no idea what is. Left it over there to completely charge. Don't have money for a mechanic, so we'll wait and see..

so disappointing, haven't even taken it out for a ride..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts