CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Found this reaction timer for something to do on the HEL Performance website.

HEL Performance Reaction Timer

Obviously this wouldnt be accurate given the outside influences whilst riding as opposed to sitting behind a computer.

Anywho, my average reaction time is 0.27480000000000004.

w0rd.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
0.2782
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,629 Posts
Interesting story, usually peoples programmed reaction times are between 1/6 and 1/4 of a second, if you ask them to do something relatively simple then they take a small multiple of that time (figure out what you're doing then do it as opposed to just do it).

So if you know what you're doing then you should be on the way to applying your brakes within about .16 to .25 of a second, if you're not very sharp on a bike then this is probably a good representation of your time to react.

If you ask Vicroads though they'll tell you that your reaction time is around about 1.6 seconds... the fucking idiots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
Average Time

0.25939999999999996

Best was a 0.14
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Drew said:
If you ask Vicroads though they'll tell you that your reaction time is around about 1.6 seconds... the fucking idiots.
yeah but you were looking at the box with your finger on the mouse, ready to click the button when the text changed. You knew exactly what you needed to do, and you were expecting it within a 3-5 second gap, you didn't have to analyse the situation or move to 'grab your brakes'.. You weren't thinking about the speed you were going, what cars around you were doing, where your next turn is, what the road surface is like etc etc..

My point being if it were a real situation, your reaction would not be 0.3 seconds.. Unless maybe you had spotted someone doing something stupid and you had already set up your brakes and were ready to squeeze it..

And Vicroads probably stated a slightly higher reaction time than is normal because they would rather you allow more time to stop than is needed, rather than just enough time for the average person to stop.. Because let's face it, there are alot of 'sub-average' people out there lol..

Just my thoughts :D My reaction times were crap.. my best was about .35 :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,629 Posts
alex92 said:
Drew said:
If you ask Vicroads though they'll tell you that your reaction time is around about 1.6 seconds... the fucking idiots.
yeah but you were looking at the box with your finger on the mouse, ready to click the button when the text changed. You knew exactly what you needed to do, and you were expecting it within a 3-5 second gap, you didn't have to analyse the situation or move to 'grab your brakes'.. You weren't thinking about the speed you were going, what cars around you were doing, where your next turn is, what the road surface is like etc etc..

My point being if it were a real situation, your reaction would not be 0.3 seconds.. Unless maybe you had spotted someone doing something stupid and you had already set up your brakes and were ready to squeeze it..

And Vicroads probably stated a slightly higher reaction time than is normal because they would rather you allow more time to stop than is needed, rather than just enough time for the average person to stop.. Because let's face it, there are alot of 'sub-average' people out there lol..

Just my thoughts :D My reaction times were crap.. my best was about .35 :(
Cars travel down the eastern freeway with about 10m between them on a good day, if somebody hit their brakes, or even varied their speed by as little as a few m/s then a reaction time of 1.6 sec would have turned the eastern freeway into a giant concertina about a day after its inception...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blackness said:
Obviously this wouldnt be accurate given the outside influences whilst riding as opposed to sitting behind a computer.
Yeah agreed.

You knew you had to click a button when indicated.
Which is obviously totally different to riding along happily and suddenly going "oh shit I need to brake".
Requires a whole lot of things, analyse the situation, think ok I have no other option but to brake, moving your fingers over the brake lever, accessing how much pressure to apply, think about rear brake and hoping the semi behind you has reaslised shits goin down and depending on the person, hesitation might play a factor.

So a lot of shit goin on in your head that is going to influence how quickly you react to the situation.

Anyway it was just a bit of a time waster i found.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,484 Posts
alex92 said:
Drew said:
If you ask Vicroads though they'll tell you that your reaction time is around about 1.6 seconds... the fucking idiots.
yeah but you were looking at the box with your finger on the mouse, ready to click the button when the text changed. You knew exactly what you needed to do, and you were expecting it within a 3-5 second gap, you didn't have to analyse the situation or move to 'grab your brakes'.. You weren't thinking about the speed you were going, what cars around you were doing, where your next turn is, what the road surface is like etc etc..

My point being if it were a real situation, your reaction would not be 0.3 seconds.. Unless maybe you had spotted someone doing something stupid and you had already set up your brakes and were ready to squeeze it..

And Vicroads probably stated a slightly higher reaction time than is normal because they would rather you allow more time to stop than is needed, rather than just enough time for the average person to stop.. Because let's face it, there are alot of 'sub-average' people out there lol..

Just my thoughts :D My reaction times were crap.. my best was about .35 :(
Nah Drew's right, Vicroads are fucken idiots.


'tiK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,493 Posts
0.3224 - us old bastards are gettin creamed by the younger guys! Good thing experience counts for more than outright reaction time or we'd all be brown bread.

I dont think it's a true test of reaction. When you're on the bike all your senses are high tuned & sensitive & your body reacts much fast when faced with a real threat other than a box on a computer screen saying 'Brake'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,629 Posts
King Kenny said:
0.3224 - us old bastards are gettin creamed by the younger guys! Good thing experience counts for more than outright reaction time or we'd all be brown bread.

I dont think it's a true test of reaction. When you're on the bike all your senses are high tuned & sensitive & your body reacts much fast when faced with a real threat other than a box on a computer screen saying 'Brake'
+1 you're not trained to press the mouse button when the box says brake, whereas, at least in theory, everybody here should be capable of identifying a threat and undertaking emergency action as a programmed response so you'd expect that you'd be a lot quicker on a bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,703 Posts
Drew said:
King Kenny said:
0.3224 - us old bastards are gettin creamed by the younger guys! Good thing experience counts for more than outright reaction time or we'd all be brown bread.

I dont think it's a true test of reaction. When you're on the bike all your senses are high tuned & sensitive & your body reacts much fast when faced with a real threat other than a box on a computer screen saying 'Brake'
+1 you're not trained to press the mouse button when the box says brake, whereas, at least in theory, everybody here should be capable of identifying a threat and undertaking emergency action as a programmed response so you'd expect that you'd be a lot quicker on a bike.
Or (and not aiming this at you drew, it's just a nasty coincidence that you've done this) pinching the fuck out of the brakes, and throwing a bike down on it's ass from a totally recoverable situation.

The reflex thing swings both ways.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top