CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a real fucknuckle of a question but I am curious to know: Are digital tachos easily wound back to display different klm's?? I know how manual tachos are wound back but I'm just looking at another bike with a digital tacho and curious as to whether they are wound back as easily/frequently as manual one's.

Your help/bitch slapping would be greatly appreciated.

Good day...........

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
They're definitely harder to do (need equipment). I believe the easiest way to wind back a digital ODO is to replace it.

Justin.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Ask to see the service history.

I was looking for a car for the wife a short while back and went to look at a buzz box. I asked to look at the books, owner said no worries, that it had a full service history when he bought it, and that after that his mate down the road looked after it for him so there were no stamps in the book but he assured me the car had been serviced properly and there were receipts for filters and oil etc in the book. The last official service was done almost 3 years prior, and showed the k's that were on it at the time. I then looked over at the odometer, at it showed that less than 1,500k's had been put on the car in the ~3 years since the last official service but enough receipts for 4 or 5 services.

"How many times exactly did you get the car serviced, since it's only done 1,500k's in the time you've owned it?"
"Didn't you tell me before that your wife uses this car every day to get to work?"

Mumble mumble duck weave mumble...

No idea how many k's it had really done, but a pretty bloody good idea that it had been wound back!

Justin.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sir.b said:
Ask to see the service history.

"How many times exactly did you get the car serviced, since it's only done 1,500k's in the time you've owned it?"
"Didn't you tell me before that your wife uses this car every day to get to work?"

Mumble mumble duck weave mumble...

No idea how many k's it had really done, but a pretty bloody good idea that it had been wound back!

Justin.

The bike I'm looking at is a 2005 cbr600rr with nearly 5000k's on it. The guy says he has full service history and log books. I guess once I glance over the bike my 4 eyes over it and ask a few curly questions all will be revealed.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
There was someone on another forum im on offering the services of winding back digital tachos to "fixed broken ones, fix up readings that have changed because of sprocket changes"
so im sure it can be done with the right equipment.......

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Drew said:
Well, it should have been serviced at least 5 times then, more likely 6.
5,000k's, not 50,000 ;)

Justin.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
also.......have a close look at things.....at 5000km....i should probably still be on original tyres........pads.....things like that......(unless he tracks it)

a friend of mine bought a bike with less than 2000km on the clock........it had brand new aftermarket tyres on it and heaps of road grime on rims.......
he still insists that its genuine kms..........

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
I replaced my tyres in less than 2,000k's actually, I wanted tyres that gripped the road a little ;)

You're right though, should be easy to spot whether the k's are genuine when they're so low. Less than 1,000k's always sounds dubious though, I'd check it carefully.

Justin.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
sir.b said:
Drew said:
Well, it should have been serviced at least 5 times then, more likely 6.
5,000k's, not 50,000 ;)

Justin.
Yup, first service is at 1000km or 3 months, from then on, it needs to be serviced once a year or 6000km from memory.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
if the ODO is new and has less than 100 k's yes it can be set to match the replacement it is taken from the bikes ECU but, you can fit any cluster with a different reading

having said that there will always be ppl doing hacks but it will cost you $$$ and besides it's illegal to wind it back

1 - 14 of 14 Posts