CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im gonna give it a crack cleaning out my carbs on my own on my 250r mc19.

(Yes, ive been over & over the step by step thread on how to do them)

Just wondering if there might be someone in or around Brissie who may be planning on doing this soon to their own bike who wouldn't mind giving me a few pointers.....

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
i took my carbs out on my mc 19
was gonna dismantle them and clean them till i saw that most of the screws were chewed up far beyond repair
had to get a mechanic to get them out

but taking them out and putting them back on is pretty easy
cept the guide doesnt really cover these methods, so i thought i might help coz it took me a while to figure some shit out
first take the tank off, theres 4 screws, 2 on the h frame mount, 1 underneath riders seat and 1 allen key on the right side of the bike which connects the rear side fairing to the tank
take tank off and disconnect 2 fuel pipes(1 has the clamps you use pliers on and the other has a flathead clamp)
take airbox off, this consists of about 10-15 screws or something, an airfilter and some stuff
you should be able to see the carbs once you've taken the airbox off
my advice is to take plenty of pictures
i was lucky to have a mate with a good memory with me when i did them
i had absolutely no idea what fit where and how when i was putting it back

take your side fairings off and loosen the screws which hold the clamps(on the rubber boots) to the engine
make sure not to loosen them too much or the nut will fall off and you probably wont be able to find it, since its black and tiny
disconnect the choke cable, which consists of this hammer thing which you just line up with a gap in the black thingy and it'll pop out
now you might need a hand as the carbs are stuck to the engine pretty tight
i sat on the bike and pulled towards me, not up
it will pop out

next you disconnect the choke and accelerator cables
first loosen the wires, its 10mm nuts, you'll need 2 spanners
next push it in so that the wire on the pulley comes out and again its a hammer thingy which should pop out
theres 2 cables so remember which one goes on top and which one on the bottom
connecting them the other way will make your throttle work in reverse
theres a hose connected to the carbs, if your sitting on the bike then it'll be on the side closer to you
disconnect it and the carbs should be free
now follow the guide to clean them

for putting them back on
its recommended to put the carbs with the boots side down in hot water for 10 mins or so so that the rubber becomes soft and easy to fit
and then apply some rubber grease on the inside of the boots
quickly attach throttle cables and put them back on
but i couldnt find a tray to put my carbs in and repco was closed so couldnt get grease either
good old vaseline did the job for me(not sure if im meant to use it btw)
its a pain getting them back on
you have to apply a constant downward pressure while rocking them back and forth trying to put them back mm by mm
connect choke cable and the hose to the carbs
put the airbox on, fuel tank on and connect the 2 fuel lines

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
viper33 said:
i took my carbs out on my mc 19
was gonna dismantle them and clean them till i saw that most of the screws were chewed up far beyond repair
had to get a mechanic to get them out
Vice grips and a suitable size phillips head before you do anymore damage.
Grab some new screws before you start, it would make life easier.
http://cbr250.com/forum/thread-98.html

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
i have failed at taking rounded screws out before so i didnt wanna attempt these ones
besides i don't even have an impact driver yet
i didn't round them btw, the old owner did
got a mechanic to take them out and give it a clean(took the carbs to him)
got new screws from stud and replaced them

now just need to take the bike to the mechanic to balance them coz i dont have a manometer and the labour is cheaper than the manometer

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
I helped a mate do his a couple of years back, you'll need new screws for the float bowls for sure, most likely new seals too, we went to a bearing place and just got an o-ring the correct size and pushed it in to the groove, it's a bit of a bitch but it works fine!

You'll be fine with it I reckon, just take your time and take some photo's as you go in case you get to one of those points where it's a case of 'WTF is this bit'

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
also, whn you dismantle them, make sure you lay out all carb 1 parts together, carb 2 together, etc etc. this way your gauranteed not to mix up the parts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Yeah what the guys have said here is all pretty spot on. Its a pretty daunting task the first time round, bits and pieces of bike flying off all around the place. But once you've done it a couple of times its alright.

If you want a hand you can bring the bike round to my place on day and I can guide you through the process. I've got a bunch of stainless steel screws that I use to replace the OEM Honda cheese and plenty of spare carb pieces in case anything should go wrong.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I'd recommend hitting Gus up, the new screws are worth it atleast :p.

I've got 2 sets of mc19 carbs sitting there so if anything breaks just steal some and replace them later

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow thanks for all the feedback.. much appreciated.

Special thanks to Viper for the detail...

Yeah Gus, if thats cool with you man, I may take you up on that offer in a couple of weeks or something. First time jitters...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
BriZer for sure mate, Just bump this up or shoot me a PM when you're ready.
Got everything here to do the run through and get them sweet.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Gus... I've got my carbs all apart atm for cleaning...

But Im not too sure on balancing them... Would you be interested in lending a hand sometime? I'd pay ya! :D

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
not sure if gus has a manometer to balance them with, however you should be able to put them back together, set the mixture screws to standard and then ride it over to Gus's where he can then help you balance them

Gus does it for love and kebabs, they are his currency!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know where to get a manometer? (in gold coast area)
I pulled apart my carbs recently, gave them a good clean and now i need to balance them.

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
BriZer said:
Im not too sure on balancing them... Would you be interested in lending a hand sometime?
BriZer said:
Make one?

Wood, tubing, liquid... VWAH-LAH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p8oZucZiv4

:huh: mebbe try that yourself?

make a note of where they're at now if you bork it, so you can set them back to standard and then ride it somewhere to receive help :p

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hence why I found the video link... Im going to...

Was more asking Gus coz I thought he may have done it before.

But thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts