CBR250 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have attempted to do a stick conversion on my NC29 race bike I have coils from an 07 cbr600rr which are perfect.

The problem I have is the wiring... I have it all setup and turn it over I get backfires through the carbs and out the exhaust as well, clearly somewhere I have gone wrong. Can anyone supply a diagram of the wiring or have done this before? I'm wanting to get it running asap so i can get back to the track. Any help is great!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Did you check that the coils you are using are suitable? i.e. they need to have the same dwell times (inductance) as the stock coils they are replacing if you are running them from the stock CDI. Below is the diagram I used to wire mine up. I haven't run my engine with the stick coils though as #2 fouls the radiator fan casing on the mc22 so I cannot verify that this wiring is perfect. At the same time though it makes sense.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9LQbPVIBLjldkh6QS03OTF0UFE/edit?usp=sharing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply, it's midnight here, so i'll give it a shot tomorrow and keep you posted. That diagram its perfect. What I haven't done is wire the two + & -'s together on the 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 coils so that could be were im going wrong as i only have one firing at the moment... Mine doesn't have the fan, that was taken off a long time ago haha.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Glad to be of help. The wiring is different from how the stick coils would normally be wired because you are still running wasted spark so you need to run the corresponding coils in series so that they act as one coil. Unless of course you have installed a cam angle sensor and programmable ignition unit to allow sequential ignition! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All wired up, that wiring diagram was spot on runs awesome, test day at the local track on friday, thanks a bunch guys! Would you like to see a video of the beast running? Would anyone like to know the parts i used etc?

·
Registered
104 Posts
You have to wire them in series or you'll fry your CDI. So just go from + to - on the two of the wires of the coils that run together and the other two wire go to the CDI. Otherwise you're pulling twice the amperage from the CDI.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[video=facebook;10154151059300109]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10154151059300109&set=vb.884620108&typ e=2&theater[/video]

There is also a video of it on the track. Goes really well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
that was actually fun to watch. maybe mount the camera up front next time. i wish there was an open track in sri lanka. im dyin to go faster than 80kmph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts