CBR250 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
g'day all...

so i cleaned my chain the other day and then lubed it up with a decent amount of chain lube.

went for a ride today and it flicked lube and shit all over my rims and left side of my rear tyre.

so i was giving the rims a clean with a cloth and some degreaser, and then wiped the lube off the tyre as well with the same cloth.

what are your thoughts on a bit of degreaser on the side/edge of the tyre? am i gonna go for a slide? wasn't sure what else to clean it off with as i didn't want to put extra shit on it....so i just lightly scrubbed the edges with some sandpaper to get the degreaser off :-/

i must say though, the left edge of the tyre with the degreaser felt sticker than the right side where there was still wax.

what do u kids use to clean shit off your tyres?

and what's the best way to scrub in tyres (don't say burnouts)? i still have about an inch each side of my tyre that is still covered in wax. just gradually and slowly increase your lean angles until it's scrubbed in?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
As far as scrubbing my new set of boots in I took it easy for a tank (~200km) and then took it up a twisty run. 1cm on one side and about an inch on the other now. At least now everyone knows which is my preferred side :)

For cleaning tyres I've always just been careful when cleaning my chain. I use a toothbrush and have never really had an issue. When I'm spraying lube on I aim for the tyre not the wheel :p If I notice gunk I just take it easy for a bit till I assume it has been taken off by friction.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
My thoughts? If there was lube on the tyre wall (as opposed to the tread), then I would have left it alone. If there was excess lube over my rims, then I'd be wiping that off with kero - but only every couple of thousand kms. I figure these things are bound to happen, so it's not worth spending too much effort on.

As for new tyre scrubbge - i've never had issues with using brand new tyres on the old road (on a sunny day). I usually keep to the speed limit and keep my throttle smooth (ie dont chop it on and off). Do a couple of laps and build towards your normal pace.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
yep, those ones are shitty mc shit. They have that water dispersing property which would make your tyres very slippery.
I stay away from that degreaser. Look for the degreaser that foams up as it is sprayed, that stuff is much better. Supercheap don't have it.
I buy mine from MCA, or the reject shop.. where its like $1.50 per can. cheap as.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.