CBR250 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
RE: Crash damaged ZX10R

mitch179 said:
take it from someone who has repaired a crash damaged bike... It's probably going to cost you twice as much as you think and then some!
How long did it take to fix? What kind of bike?

I'm hoping that only the fairings, indicators, lights, missing fairing bolts, screen, rear sets, and missing damper are all that need to be fixed plus a few other random items.

I have spent a lot of time doing some research into the parts and often parts turn up on ebay that no one wants and don't even get sold. My estimate for the fairings is $650 from ozzymotorcyclefairings plus free screen, damper from ebay max $500 in auction, rear sets max $400, lights max $300 ebay, indicators max $100 ebay, bolts max $100, and randoms max $1000. Super max fee @ ~ $3000 and bike cost $4500 so $7500 total. Not a big saving but I'll learn something.

· Registered
8,753 Posts

www.bikebolts.com

Great fucking site, great bolts, and you can get them colour coded for your bike in almost any colour.

It even comes with a map of the bike to tell you exactly which bolt goes where. Can't recommend them enough - used them for the 954 and was very happy with the result. Would gladly use again for that small bling on any future road going sportsbike as well.

Oh, and the paint on the bolts never chipped from taking them on and off for god knows how many oil changes or just fiddling around with the engine.

· Registered
326 Posts

The OEM ohlins damper is useless.. The have a tamed down needle(extra holes) in them to stop noobs from cranking it full tilt and fucking themselves up fron not being able to steer..
I recently sourced the genuine ohlins needle and seat from the US for my damper to get it to proper spec so it actually does what its meant to..
Atm its as useless as all fuck on my 10!:rolleyes:

· Registered
3,389 Posts

hmmm ok where do i begin...

first of all it would be silly to just look at the cosmetic damage and think thats all you have to do. It would be extremely wise to get the frame, forks and subframe checked out to make sure that everything is straight. Frames on sportsbikes these days are notoriously easy to bend even if they are not directly hit.

As far as OEM damper.. if the suspension is sorted out and dialed in well you shouldnt need strong damping. on my r1 i still use the OEM damper and havent had any problems with slappers even at the track, once my suspension was sorted out. even the old race bike i didnt have to have it on more than 4 clicks from soft. so if you are going to spend $1200 (which by the way is way exxy even for ohlins. should be able to get one for ~$400US) on a damper... spend it on the front forks instead! that model ZX10 imo is fine on the road but the suspension is way too soft and unrefined for any hard spirited work, road or track. it does have a good engine tho which is a plus!

PS.. that model zx10 isnt the angriest bike you will ride... the 04-05 zx10 was :p lol

· Registered
472 Posts

Yo Dazz,
I can help with some parts if you want.

I'll check my bits but I can offer off the bat:
oem rear sets.
Uhh... that might be it. Once you have a better idea what you need I'll look at what I have.

Woop!

Also the oem dampner works for me. Sure at max winds you can still move the handle bars, but you wouldn't want to ride around in a car park like that.

(I have the 06 model).

· Registered
1,422 Posts

Sneddy said:
www.bikebolts.com

Great fucking site, great bolts, and you can get them colour coded for your bike in almost any colour.

It even comes with a map of the bike to tell you exactly which bolt goes where. Can't recommend them enough - used them for the 954 and was very happy with the result. Would gladly use again for that small bling on any future road going sportsbike as well.

Oh, and the paint on the bolts never chipped from taking them on and off for god knows how many oil changes or just fiddling around with the engine.
Just be aware that they dont do thoes quick turn screws. I dont know what the 07 zx10 has but i was very dissapointed after ordering my fairing screws when they turned up and they were all the old ghey screws.

· Banned
7 Posts

Wow thanks for the site, was looking for these bolts forever.

Sneddy said:
www.bikebolts.comtirescars

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.