CBR250 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used one of those stands that lift the bike from under the engine and I'm wondering how stable they are.
I like the idea of one stand getting both wheels off the ground (cheaper than two stands).

Something like these:
http://www.sharpracing.com.au/products/dirt-bike-gear/dirt-bike-lifter.php
http://www.kaneg.com.au/products/Motorcross-Stand-Black-.html

I'm sure someone here has used them and I am wondering;

1: Does the bike 'wobble' if you get too eager when undoing a tight bolt/nut?
2: Is there any problem wih keeping a bike on a stand like this for a week or two at a time?
3: Would you trust this stand to hold a bike in the garage next to your car?
4: Anyone know of any brands/styles/features I should look out for or even better look for?

If I end up getting one of those Sharp racing ones (in the link) I have already decided on which colour! :)

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
those stands sit on the bottom rails of the frame and lift that way so they are fairly stable and you cant leave the bike like that for a while and not have an issue. just make sure you can still access sump plugs etc if you need to

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
I wish I could use one of these stands but my pipe on the DRZ makes it impossible. They're very stable though... But as shane said, just make sure you can reach all the bits and bobs you need.

I've managed to use my standard rear stand under the bike though - so if you already have a rear stand then they're pretty versatile.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
What bike are you planning on using it with? Most sports bikes have quite thin sumps and the exhaust is the lowest part, so this type of stand is not useful. If you're going to use it with your 640 then you should be sweet though...

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, should have mentioned which bike.
I'll use it with the KTM 640sm.
The CBR is going to be sold soon and the postie usually gets propped up with a toothpick.

·
Registered
312 Posts
juxt said:
1: Does the bike 'wobble' if you get too eager when undoing a tight bolt/nut?
2: Is there any problem wih keeping a bike on a stand like this for a week or two at a time?
3: Would you trust this stand to hold a bike in the garage next to your car?
4: Anyone know of any brands/styles/features I should look out for or even better look for?
No.
No.
Yes.
No. The cheap and cheerful ones work very well. If you pay more than about $90 you are being ripped off.

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Sneddy said:
I wish I could use one of these stands but my pipe on the DRZ makes it impossible. They're very stable though... But as shane said, just make sure you can reach all the bits and bobs you need.

I've managed to use my standard rear stand under the bike though - so if you already have a rear stand then they're pretty versatile.
get a decent pipe then you noob! :p

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
shane said:
Sneddy said:

get a decent pipe then you noob! :p
Oh no you didn't...

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I've got one of these from ballards.

Cost a couple hundred but well worth it. It'll bring the footpegs up well over waist height and I've left my old 640 on it for months at a time. Has a locking bar so the hydraulics don't need to hold it once its up. Steady as a rock on a flat floor even with 160kg of ktm a metre in the air and has footpeg clamps to secure the bike.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I have found a couple of stands that have a maximum weight of 160kgs.
The KTM is 149kgs DRY.
Hmmm, it comes back to the good ol' question of what does dry weight mean?
Absolutley NO liquids/fluids or just no fuel?

Do you guys reckon it'll be sweet, or will I end up picking the bike up off the floor, crying???

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
juxt said:
So I have found a couple of stands that have a maximum weight of 160kgs.
The KTM is 149kgs DRY.
Hmmm, it comes back to the good ol' question of what does dry weight mean?
Absolutley NO liquids/fluids or just no fuel?

Do you guys reckon it'll be sweet, or will I end up picking the bike up off the floor, crying???
Well, there are a couple of different definitions of dry, theres the proper one, which is sans fuel, coolant and oil and there is the Japanese one, which is sans tyres, battery, fork oil, fuel, engine oil, coolant and probably some other stuff.

I'm not 100% sure which the KTM uses, but I think it would be the proper definition of dry. Do you have access to some scales? Just throw the bike on them.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well after a few months of looking around, Bursons had this stand on sale for $149.

Works a treat, stable as a rock.

Uses a bottle jack to lift the bike and is rated to 680kgs. We have lift off! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.