CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So i was doing the valve clearances on my mc22 last week.
I admit it was my first time but i think i did well, measured all the clearances, calced the needed shims etc.... it was just when it came to putting the slippery things back in the damn bike i had issues!
well, i was fine till the very last shim, where i lost concentration talking to my roomate, bumped my hand on the frame where the tank sits and the shim vanishes :((((((((

I was doing the 2nd exhaust valve shim on cylinder number 3. Of course trusting my luck this is located right next to the cam train and from what i can see the only possible oil drain hole a shim could fit in!

I have done some research as to what to do.. most answers have been to contemplate shooting oneself or punching ones self in the eye......... ive considered both

Anyway, im not sure but i have a feeling it went down the drain hole rather than down in the gear train (I hope :s)
Wondering what the community here thinks would be the best thing to do?
Im thinking of removing the whole exhaust + sump to see if its made its way down there?
or would it not reach the sump through that drain?
any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Will post my nooby pics in a few hours :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
I bet it's hiding somewhere, the chances of getting it into the oil drain would be greater than winning the Lotto.

Years ago, while doing a full rebuild on a smelly old CB750, I dropped an o/h gear washer, sounded like it rattled down along side the cam chain gallery, so I tore it down again, no washer anywhere ? so re-assembled the engine, and went riding, no probs until I bent a conrod revving too hard with a GREAT cam (I was warned)
Tear down #3, removed the starter motor cover, and there was the missing washer,,stuck to the starter motors magnetised body :rolleyes::mad:
Drop another shim,,,actually TRY to lob it into your oilway,,lol, what have you got to loose ?
Tiny :bootyshake:

·
Registered
13,106 Posts
Seeing as you will need to pull the engine apart to find it might as well ride it and hope for the best. If it fucks up, you need to strip the engine.... So either way you will need to strip it or you got lucky :p

·
Registered
314 Posts
Seeing as you will need to pull the engine apart to find it might as well ride it and hope for the best. If it fucks up, you need to strip the engine.... So either way you will need to strip it or you got lucky :p
this, is a very bad idea. it could render your engine or other parts unusable. take the damn thing apart. unless you want to turn a simple rebuild into sourcing pistons, a crank, or an entire crank case. use the opertunity to get to know your bike better

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sooo bit of an update.

i removed the exhaust and sump had a a gander and couldn't see anything. got the magnetic tool and tried poking around to see if i could get anything but that proved useless.

Soooo i decided to remove the right hand side cover as i thought it could be stuck somewhere near that alternator thing :D but it wasnt there :(
i was searching for about an hour inside the engine, began searching again from the head. I ruled out the possibility of it being stuck in the oil feed pipe by shoving some light wire down to see if there was any obstructions but it glided down with ease.
Eventually i went to investigate the cam gear train one last time annddd

I found the fucker :D !!!!!!!!

It was hiding under the bracket that holds the gears down! had a beer to celebrate..

heres some piccies, becuase everyone loves piccies ;)

Pretty annoyed with myself that i didn't thoroughly check that area at the time though...

^^ As she currently stands

Sooo i FINALLY finished the valve clearance.. well part 1, still have to put the cams on and check clearances again, but lesson learnt ill be plugging up areas i don't want shims to vanish too!

Anyways, in the process of finding the gremlin, i think i wrecked the gaskets :( automatically assumed they need replacing and quoted some up.

I've never actually replaced or mucked around with gaskets before but that looks wrong am i right?
Also the sump gasket it split soo i assumed it need rep[

the headers had this orange rubbery shit around them? some residue was left where they sit

Another cylinder...

Cylinder 4 actually didn't have any of this residue on it? as can bee seen heree

Ok so for some more advice!

1. Do i need to apply something to the headers when replacing the gaskets? (orange rubbery stuff???)
2. does this seem like high prices for oem gaskets?
Headers $8.75
Sump $13.95
Right hand cover $24.10

3. Before attempting the valve clearances i was getting an engine tick noise from the right hand side of the engine sort of top area.(hard to tell) originally i did research and thought my valve clearances could have been way out (they were) causing said tick.
But! i also read it could possibly be an exhaust gasket leak? cylinder 4 header port looks alot blacker and didnt have the orange stuff on it, could this possible be the cause of the tick?
Also is that an obvious sign that my header gaskets are shot?

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wasn't runaway bay but in Gold Coast at that time, why is that?
I may have looked at the bike you bought as the first bike I looked at. It was sold before I could buy it (but I'm glad I didn't, I'm happy with mine).
It's just nice coming across bikes you recognise, even if you never really knew them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may have looked at the bike you bought as the first bike I looked at. It was sold before I could buy it (but I'm glad I didn't, I'm happy with mine).
It's just nice coming across bikes you recognise, even if you never really knew them.
Just did some super stalking to sus out your bike through "post your cibs", I almost bought yours! i was desperate for a mc22 at the time and i checked it out, although when i arrived i was turned off by the fact he had to jump it to start the bike :( saw my bike the next day, took it for a spin and sold. Im glad yours hasn't been to much hassle though!
Also ive seen your bike at uni for a while now, will park next to you when mines running again ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just did some super stalking to sus out your bike through "post your cibs", I almost bought yours! i was desperate for a mc22 at the time and i checked it out, although when i arrived i was turned off by the fact he had to jump it to start the bike :( saw my bike the next day, took it for a spin and sold. Im glad yours hasn't been to much hassle though!
Also ive seen your bike at uni for a while now, will park next to you when mines running again ;)
OH FUCK AHAHA this is a small world.
All the battery issue was was the reg/rec was partially working, so it would slowly discharge (and thus it killed the battery)
I'll look forward to the day when a Repsol MC22 appears next to my bike and then I'll think "oh shit this guy knew where I was before I knew he existed"

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
I'd turn the engine over by hand a few times very carefully. This will tell you if its jammed in something, and hopefully dislodge it down into the sump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And on this day we were blessed with Schultzy's blessing. Today was a good day.
Nice work haha

b-but guysss!

still need some guidance as to what to doo: (bottom page 1)

1. Do i need to apply something to the headers when replacing the gaskets? (orange rubbery stuff???)
Headers $8.75
Sump $13.95
Right hand cover $24.10

3. Before attempting the valve clearances i was getting an engine tick noise from the right hand side of the engine sort of top area.(hard to tell) originally i did research and thought my valve clearances could have been way out (they were) causing said tick.
But! i also read it could possibly be an exhaust gasket leak? cylinder 4 header port looks alot blacker and didnt have the orange stuff on it, could this possible be the cause of the tick?
Also is that an obvious sign that my header gaskets are shot?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Headers $8.75
Sump $13.95
Right hand cover $24.10
Get some gasket paper from a motor factors and make your own. Use the old gasket as best you can to make a template

1 - 20 of 21 Posts