CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finally got around to ordering some of those hektik shorter levers from ebay. i got the black ones well coz my bikes black and my question is, considering my bike is matt black, the levers are gloss black with an awsome pink adjuster on them, instead of just painting them matt black to suit and have it all rub off as soon as i even look at them, could i use matt black etch primer? i have used this before on other things and its seems impossible to scratch or even get off in anyway. or will it possibly weaken them? last thing i need to be grabbing a handful of "oh shit" and have my lever snap off in my hand. as this could possibly cause me to die, (something im trying to avoid at the moment).
any metal gurus be able to shed some light on this?

·
Registered
526 Posts
As far as I understand etch primer the acid only eats down the first fraction of a millimeter or so.
Therefore the composition of the underlying metal remains unchanged. So it should be just as strong as before.
I've never used it myself so I could be wrong.

C

·
0 Posts
No. It wont weaken them. If i can use etch primer on primary aircraft structure, then im sure it will be fine for your fully hektic shorty levers.

R

·
0 Posts
Jonno said:
if you dont want to worry about snaping a lever dont buy an e-bay special
I disagree, my alloy $50 ebay "adjustable" levers survived a high side. The crash wore down my brake fluid reserviour, both cap and tank? took about 5mm off the corner of it anyway. the levers are just scratched.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
why does it need to be matt? im pretty sure itll look better glossy black

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
^^^ i think he just wants to paint the pink bits ;)

ive used ebay levers without a prob, its metal, same size, minus the bent parts =)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
smiley_666 said:
why does it need to be matt? im pretty sure itll look better glossy black
because they will be the only glossy thing on my bike. and yes the pink looks stupid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts