CBR250 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1991 CBR250 MC22 into the US after a long drawn out import process. The bike has been dropped and has some worn plastics, but the seller was kind enough to include a used Tyga body kit. I haven't decided if I'm going to run it with the Tyga kit or use what's left of the stock plastics and make a streetfighter.

This bike's primary use will be at the track. Before I do take it there, I'm planning a restoration to get the bike in good working order. I'll need brake pads, brake lines (prefer braided), chain, sprockets, fuel petcock, all filters, spark plugs, and tires. I'm 180lbs so I expect I'll need heavier springs in the fork, and I'll want to replace the fork seals while I'm in there.

I'm guessing Honda used many of the same parts on different bikes, and I'm hoping wear items can be easily had from US retailers. Can anyone provide me with part numbers for the following:

Brake pads (EBC or other aftermarket brand is fine)
Fork Seals
Air Filter
Oil Filter

I'm 180 lbs (82kgs). Can anyone recommend a spring and fork oil weight I should start with?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Racetech has spring-calculator for you (and springs). I'd suggest about 0.80-kg/mm springs and 15w oil to start.

Also install the Gold Valve Emulators while you're there. Makes HUGE difference in handling at track.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check it out. Thanks for the pointer! I found brake pads, oil filters, and I have a lead on equivalent fork seals. But I decided to wait until I have the bike to order parts. 2 days and I'll have it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the bike! It's in better condition than I expected, so good news there. I have a leaky left front brake caliper, so I'll need a rebuild or replacement. Oil and filter, are on their way, and I desperately need a new chain and sprockets. I assume that's off the shelf standard? What size chain do people use? I'm guessing 520.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Please post some photos of your new bike!!!

I think earlier CBR250 & CBR250R(H) used 520 chain. Then later CBR250R-MC19 & CBR250RR-MC22 uses 428 chain:

Front Sprocket: JTF1298 - Teeth: 17
Rear Sprocket: JTR1244 - Teeth: 52
Chain Pitch: 428 - Length:136 (some references I've seen say 134)

I use a 18x59t 428 combo on my Ninja 250. Saves about 2-lbs over stock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pointers on the chain. I did a little browsing for chains and sprockets, I'll get something on order this week. Is there anything special about the stock pieces?

I'll get some pics uploaded soon. I've been absent from forums for years, I assume I still need to upload the pictures to another host site and copy the links here?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nothing special about stock chain that I know of. The particular one on my bike seems to have some shiny plating. Hasn't gotten dirty or rusted.

I used basic JT X-ring 428 chain on my race bike. Lasts about a season. Much better than the 415 conversion that's popular. Those use what looks like a bicycle chain and lasts only 1/4 season.

Photos are easy. Hit photo button and select picture to upload directly to site. For example, my next bike has been shipped!

yup, that worked!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A couple pics so far. I have 2 sets of fairings plus a Tyga kit. I'm going with the Tyga parts when I get it running. I'll have to get some more pictures, but the bike is coming apart so I can get the engine to fire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi;
I have a1990 CBR250RR; like you I am in the USA. I have ordered some new and mostly used parts on the yahoo Japan auction site. I also have ordered a lot of new parts from Japan.webike.net. The site cmsnl.com also has some rare parts.They are a very nice firm to deal with. The USA site rscycles.com or risingsuncycles.com has a parts list for the MC22 that you can download as a pdf. On their site under the Go Fast Parts Header click on parts books. You can also purchase a hard copy parts book from Japan.webike.net. Here in the USA I have used the site Babbitt’s online.com to search for the CBR250RR part numbers to see what US spec bikes, if any, they fit and check if they are still available. I’m in Massachusetts; where are you located? I am looking for a left hand lower fairing if you have one or stumble across one in your parts search.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in southern California. I have extra plastics that I'd like to sell since I got a little more than I expected and I intend to use the Tyga kit I bought anyway. I'll have to take a closer look to get an idea of its condition, I'll try to post pictures this weekend when I'm in my garage working on the bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've fixed those by plugging outlet, heating up dent to glowing red/orange and pressurising inlet. Fine-tune by waving torche over areas that haven't fully expanded yet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rubber cork stuffed into inlet with hole in middle. I then stick in one of those blow-off duster nozzles connected to compressor. If you find someone familiar with building custom racing bicycle frames, they can do it in 30-minutes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for that. I have a mountain of those stoppers at work.

The lower fairings I have are pretty beat up. They've been down. Are you guys looking for something in good shape?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rashed is ok. I'd repaint anyway to replicate an OEM colour scheme. Please post photos.

Take a look at your engine's serial number. First section shows engine-family. What do you have? I may have an extra header that fits.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts