CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a question for the guru Eclipze,

I want to install a flashing 12v led onto my dash surround so that when my bikes turned off it will flash and when the key or ignition turns on it turns off, like a thief deterrent or 'fake alarm'.

Does the barrel have a Normally closed contact or anything?

any idea's where else to wire it to?

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
CBRPOWER said:
This is probably a question for the guru Eclipze,

I want to install a flashing 12v led onto my dash surround so that when my bikes turned off it will flash and when the key or ignition turns on it turns off, like a thief deterrent or 'fake alarm'.

Does the barrel have a Normally closed contact or anything?

any idea's where else to wire it to?
Hahaaa... I did something like that for my 675, although I went a wee bit over the top...
http://www.ecliptech.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=163

What you could do, is connect the a flashing LED to the battery (via a fuse), and put the ground side to the headlight circuit. When the headlights are on, the LED won't flash because both sides are up at battery level. But when the ignition is off (and the headlights), then the LED will be grounded through the headlight bulbs. Should work a treat :cool:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh, very good, looks like some work went into that unit :)
i was thinking switching out the headlight relay from a SPST to a SPDT to gain a extra N/C contact?

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
You could, but there isn't a headlight relay. Only a highbeam relay. You might as well wire up a separate relay. But then again, if you wire it as I mentioned, you wouldn't even need a relay. It's a rather simple mod wired as I described.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i cant do that as ive got switchable headlights with no high beam.

what ive done is used the "high beam N/O contact" from the "hi/lo push button" to feed the coil on the "high beam relay", so then my normal beam becomes switchable so i can turn them on/off as i please (not when the ignition turns on).
only downside is high beam which i never use..

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
Ahhh... didn't realise that. Not sure why you made the change, as you're not as visible without your headlights on... and not having high beam means you have absolutely no back up :-(

As an alternative, you could do the same as I advised before, but instead of using the headlight circuit you can use another.

Connect the negative side for your LED to the Black/Brown wire going to the temperature gauge. That will give the same result... as there will be a low impedance path to ground through things like the sidestand bulb and sidestand switch etc... Or you could even use a resistor if needed.

Just to cover all bases... I would recommend a diode inline with the LED, to provide a sufficient reverse bias blocking threshold... for reliability.
If you connect the positive at the red wire / ignition barrel feed, you still need a fuse, as a short on a small gauge wire wouldn't pop the main fuse... it would just melt the insulation, get very hot and risk burning the bike to the ground. So best done properly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahh very good, will do when the bits come in :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts