CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last time i posted this on a forum, it went all wrong, but il try again...

as you know, im a woman!! im looking for a garage to get a bit of experience in, and it aint so easy to find, with most places giving me the speach of how a girl cant handle the work, or just out n out laugh in my face for even asking. i had gotten one day a week in a garage but they just dont have the work right now, so i havent really got to do anything with them. I now have one year of college under me belt, studying motorcycle mechanics. passed all me exams (just 3 left to do this month)

so my question is.... does anyone want me?? or know any where that i could try to get sum experience in? im in co kildare, so any where that its possible to get to, or even anyone doin work on bikes that knows what there doin that wud let me get involved with it. :huh:

·
Registered
672 Posts
goodluck, hope you find something, it really annoys me when ppl say shit like that. obviously your interested in motorcycles and its not just a job to you.
keep looking,when you say one year of collage is that one year of an apprenticeship or just school type learning?

all great mechanics were apprentices at some point. we need more chicks into bikes, wish my wife was :( she doesnt like them at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its just one year of college itself, we do theory and have a nite in the garage aswell with practical stuff to do, 1st year been all basics like oil change, fork oil change , take off wheel, clutch cable stuff like that, but dont get to do enough with the bikes!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Can't think of anywhere around Galway or Clare, sorry. Best of luck though.

Next time someone gives you the speech, grab the nearest wrench, preferably 24 or larger and wack them across the knuckles.
Then ask if they need help tightening up any bolts?
Don't forget to slap the wrench on your palm for added effect.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I know of a place in SE Melb that are looking for someoneat the moment and already have a female mechanic there (she's been there since the start of her apprenticeship) so that side of it wouldn't be a problem.

The only problem is that I'm not even sure if what state kildare is in so it may be completely useless but thought i'd mention it just in case it might help.

·
Registered
9,697 Posts
are you a member on biker.ie?
a few of the lads that post on there work in shops so it may be a decent way to get yourself out there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, kildare is a county in ireland, so austraila be a little bit away for me :lol:
and the other forum i posted this on is biker.ie, they seem to think i have an attitude problem on that forum because i wont put up with the hassle they try giving. the garage i had a day a week in - the two guys that have that garage are on there, and there about the extent of the help thats on that forum. i can still drop in for work with them, just they havent got antin on.

·
Registered
9,697 Posts
ah right, i havent been on there in a while so wasnt sure
Im just back in the country but when i'll be touching base with my mates around the garages soon so if i hear of anything i'll bear you in mind.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
what course are you doing and where?[hr]
you're not going to find any work on a bike shop in ireland, they're struggling to keep the people they have on. i fix bikes to put me through college and have noticed a huge drop in work, and people only willing to spend money when their bikes are about to fall apart

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zane said:
what course are you doing and where?[hr]
you're not going to find any work on a bike shop in ireland, they're struggling to keep the people they have on. i fix bikes to put me through college and have noticed a huge drop in work, and people only willing to spend money when their bikes are about to fall apart
im doin motorcycle mechanics, in dit bolton street. and im willing to work for free, and willing to start off with one day, any thing that will get me some experience, not doing it for the money, just really really wana get a chance to learn some stuff and get the experience.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
oh and stay away from biker.ie, full of ouls ones that just moan[hr]
that's a maintenance course, not a mechanics course, i'm in bolton street doing mech engineering. i have the red and black cbr in car park

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its a mechanics course, motorcycle mechanics is the title of it.. 3years of that and then the 4th year is diagnostics. ya get an imi certificate at the end of it.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hi Inkedchick,
There is a good few lads from Celbridge on this site, where are you in Kildare?
Are you looking for paid work or just experience?
All the lads from celbridge are handy with the bikes as we have been breaking them for years!:D and then fixing them.
One lad, Davetrix on here is a fully qualified car mechanic and knows his fair share of his bike stuff too.
Four of us have raced in mondello until we ran out of money from doing so.:rolleyes:

We do be regularly working on all sorts of stuff, at the moment im throwing money at an Rs125.

Unfortunatley there is feck all money in bike mechanics but there is money in car mechanics.
My advice is to start a car mechanic apprenticeship and keep the bikes as a healthy hobby.
You know what they say about work and pleasure.:lol:
If you want to pop over to us at any stage pm me. Im no mechanic but im handy at some stuff.

Good luck.

P.S. is that bike course in ballyfermot?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Dwarf said:
Hi Inkedchick,
There is a good few lads from Celbridge on this site, where are you in Kildare?
Are you looking for paid work or just experience?
All the lads from celbridge are handy with the bikes as we have been breaking them for years!:D and then fixing them.
One lad, Davetrix on here is a fully qualified car mechanic and knows his fair share of his bike stuff too.
Four of us have raced in mondello until we ran out of money from doing so.:rolleyes:

We do be regularly working on all sorts of stuff, at the moment im throwing money at an Rs125.

Unfortunatley there is feck all money in bike mechanics but there is money in car mechanics.
My advice is to start a car mechanic apprenticeship and keep the bikes as a healthy hobby.
You know what they say about work and pleasure.:lol:
If you want to pop over to us at any stage pm me. Im no mechanic but im handy at some stuff.

Good luck.

P.S. is that bike course in ballyfermot?
well paid work wud be great but i know thats not gona happen so il do it for free, anything at all, as long as i get to work with the bikes. have been lookn for apprenticeship , with cars or bikes, if i said for how long you wud laugh at me :( (6 years) the course is in dit boltn street , used to work in mondello, just live down the road from it!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I will have an ask about a few garages I know, cars mostly.
They usually start off on a trial and then decide if they want you as an apprentice but it will be hard as times aint good at the momment.
You living in Prospourus ?
Post a pic of your Mc19, is it on the road?
Will have to meet up for a spin if it is.
Mondello is a good place to pop down on trackdays and have a chat with racers, most are happy enough for you to give a hand and explain all they know.
I work shift work so I am about during the day if you want a hand with the mc19 at anystage.
Also If I am doing any decent work on the bikes Ill let you know and you can call down and give a dig out.
Have a look at The Itialian grenade project in the project section, thats my wee baby.
Did you try City Spares? The are always run off their feet and may appreciate a hand??? just a though.
Hope it all goes well for ya!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bike's not on the road, its up der in the projects section too, its gona be my 1st road bike ..
where is city spares?
the lads in mondello gave me a hand with me project for college alrite, i musty pop in more...
yeh im in prosperous, car garage wud do me either,

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
city spares is on it's ear, dd u not see the add they had on gumtree? was talking to eric they're not do too well, but that just means more bargins!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts