• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a pretty talked about topic this year, so just seeing what the thoughts are on this forum?

me n my bf have been together for 3 yrs now and we decided that we wanted to get hitched but if gillard gets in she says she will try and stop gay aussie's from going OS to do it.

At the end of the day Im human to, and just cause I do something different in the bedroom should'nt mean I get treated alot differently.

Plus if more guys come out then that leaves more girls for you straight guys?

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
The thing that shits me about the MO of the people who are opposed to all this stuff is that they are hell bent on telling you what you should do, whether its gay marriage, abortion, censorship or whatever. As far as I'm concerned nobody has the right to make a persons decision for them but themselves and I can't stand fucking dogooders who stand around saying "well, that bit really is a bit scarey for you", "Well you shouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place" or "well, marriage is about babies/religion/whatever". Patently opposition to gay marriage is not related to religion/babies/family group makeup, athiests can get married, infertile people can get married so its not about religion or babies, single parents can have children, so its not about having a man/woman about the house, its just a method of control that some interfering bastard is desperately trying to hold onto.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
Of course you should. There is no valid reason why you shouldn't. There is not a single bad thing that could come of it. I for one don't give a flying fuck if it upsets religious/conservative types, that's their problem, and even then it's a made up problem with no genuine or demonstrable impact. I see this as discrimination in it's purest form and it's shitty that it's so socially accepted.

'tiK.

·
Registered
15,510 Posts
of course it should be allowed!
Just because you are gay, does not mean you have any less rights than any other person

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I'm not going to support it, but I'm also not going to not support it. I don't care.

I think the real problem with it, is calling it marriage, as opposed to 'legally joined' or some shit.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
Good point Luke. Where is that option cheffy? I tells ya, if there's anyone that shouldn't be allowed to marry, it's Russians. Fucken Russians.

'tiK.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
i don't see what the issue is, everyone should have the same rights for everything no matter what their sexuality is.

maybe the only issue is the actual definition of the word marriage, and without going and hunting down a dictionary perhaps the definition of the word might mean for people of the opposite sex but who really cares, find another word the allows it.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
i dont have anything against it......it doesnt really concern me, and i dont know why ppl are so against it when it doesnt really concern them either.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I guess I take it for granted so I have never given it too much thought.

What are the things you feel you are missing out on by not being allowed to get married?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the support guys! It's good to see an ACTUAL opinion poll! Not the silly ones you see on Telly. I understand people say that the term marriage should be defined, but if the pope make downloading music a sin , then I'm sure he can keep with the times an change marriage. Mp3's are far younger than us homo's!

P.S I Like the Russians, I think that the vodka-guzzling Boris Yeltsin should be pm out here, or atleast get bike enthusiast Putin! They would rip through our conservative pollies!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I said no but to be honest I don't really care, it's a first world luxury problem and one that I'm not really interested in. That said I can't really see why gays would want to get married, for one the church has always villanised them and I don't see why you'd want to be a part of one of their inane rituals.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I said no because I wouldn't support it, nor would I oppose it, but is that little piece of paper you are after really worth it? If you just want the same last name you could just go change it, other then that I can't really see how being married would change anything?
I agree that it's a prehistoric law that they are trying to hold onto for some reason that should be changed, but if it isn't is it really that big of a deal?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I don't support it, but I'm not against it.

Scrap that, I just made up my mind looking into the history of what marriage actually is.

I have no problem with same sex couples getting married. Marriage did not stem from religion as I suspected it did, it stems back from before recorded history. From Wikipedia:
The way in which a marriage is conducted and its rules and ramifications has changed over time, as has the institution itself, depending on the culture or demographic of the time.
One of the oldest known and recorded marriage laws is discerned from Hammurabi's Code, enacted in ancient Mesopotamia (widely considered as the cradle of civilization). Various cultures have had their own theories on the origin of marriage.

C

·
0 Posts
Hm. It's actually an interesting point those two bring up^^
marraige has it's own hindrances legally, but I can understand you wanting to tie the knot too. I didn't vote but I would say it shouldn't even be an issue to begin with, religion is the only factor involved with this. If pollies weren't trying to win votes it wouldn't even be spoken of. People trying to push their views onto you sickens me, in any way, shape or form.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Drew said:
The thing that shits me about the MO of the people who are opposed to all this stuff is that they are hell bent on telling you what you should do, whether its gay marriage, abortion, censorship or whatever. As far as I'm concerned nobody has the right to make a persons decision for them but themselves and I can't stand fucking dogooders who stand around saying "well, that bit really is a bit scarey for you", "Well you shouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place" or "well, marriage is about babies/religion/whatever". Patently opposition to gay marriage is not related to religion/babies/family group makeup, athiests can get married, infertile people can get married so its not about religion or babies, single parents can have children, so its not about having a man/woman about the house, its just a method of control that some interfering bastard is desperately trying to hold onto.
haha brilliant
couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
13,792 Posts
loslogo said:
That said I can't really see why gays would want to get married, for one the church has always villanised them and I don't see why you'd want to be a part of one of their inane rituals.
Marriage does not belong to the christian church, it's much much older than that. Christians just like to claim ownership of the things, such as marriage, morality, creation of the universe....

I'm married, do not believe in god (neither does my wife), and there was no mention of god during our ceremony.

Justin.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
loslogo said:
I said no but to be honest I don't really care, it's a first world luxury problem and one that I'm not really interested in. That said I can't really see why gays would want to get married, for one the church has always villanised them and I don't see why you'd want to be a part of one of their inane rituals.
Theft is a luxury problem as well, you can't be stolen from if you don't have anything to steal.

Marriage isn't a religious event anymore, people get married in parks with civil celebrants, its about making a commitment to something. Arguing that one group shouldn't have the right to make that commitment implies that they're not capable of it.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
sir.b said:
Marriage does not belong to the christian church, it's much much older than that. Christians just like to claim ownership of the things, such as marriage, morality, creation of the universe....
This.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts