CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently discovered a fuel leak with my MC22. I had accidently unscrewed the idle screw(cable) and thought mysteriously this had caused the leak. To fix this I took the tank off and air box re-attached the idle cable. I than secured all fuel lines and put the tank back on but its still leaking. I took everything back off and found that it appears to be leaking from the 4th carby?

Has anyone experienced this type of thing before?

Since I've pulled it down this far I was also considering upgrading the carby for extra power, any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
walshma said:
Since I've pulled it down this far I was also considering upgrading the carby for extra power, any ideas?
You want the red powerband, fully synthetic headlight fluid, and the HRC flux capacitor.

*Puts on pointy hat and sits facing the corner*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
Take the entire carb apart and clean them, especially the float valve seats.

Use a cotton stick with some very fine metal polish like autosol and put the cotton stick with the autosol on it in a cordless and clean the inside of the seats but don't put to much force on the drill. Also check the actual float valves for any wear.

Best thing to do for piece of mind is replace all the seals.

BTW the only carburetor upgrade I have heard of is the flatslide FCR Keihin carbs valued at $2000

Here's the link to it: http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/carbs/fuel-line/fcr-keihin-cbr250rr/prod_232.html?review=write
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,167 Posts
Use Indian gasket or a silicone that is petrol resistant to seal the carbs.
Dont bother spending money upgrading, keep it standard and buy a bigger bike with the money you save!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Dwarf said:
Use Indian gasket or a silicone that is petrol resistant to seal the carbs.
Dont bother spending money upgrading, keep it standard and buy a bigger bike with the money you save!:)
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback guys.....i'll be sure to get the highest quality headlight fluid and flux capacitor I can find.

In regards to upgrading I was mainly thinking of upgrading the needles or jets that pump the fuel in, I've heard around the traps you can get bigger carby needles and than allow more air through the airbox which increases performance?

Also is there any documents or links on cleaning and resealing the carby?

Cheers :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
The most comprehensive CBR250 upgrade thread on the whole internets.

http://cr-xorg.readyhosting.com/cbr250/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26849
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
walshma said:
In regards to upgrading I was mainly thinking of upgrading the needles or jets that pump the fuel in, I've heard around the traps you can get bigger carby needles and than allow more air through the airbox which increases performance?
Remember, you are limited to the amount of air/fuel that is needed by the size of the engine. In other words, going to a larger carb is just a waste of time (assuming that there have not been any engine mods). If you are using a different fuel (ex ethanol added, etc), have changed to a less restrictive air filter, or other minor mods that alter the mixture and/or combustibility, then consider swapping out jets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,167 Posts
walshma said:
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback guys.....i'll be sure to get the highest quality headlight fluid and flux capacitor I can find.

In regards to upgrading I was mainly thinking of upgrading the needles or jets that pump the fuel in, I've heard around the traps you can get bigger carby needles and than allow more air through the airbox which increases performance?

Also is there any documents or links on cleaning and resealing the carby?

Cheers :)
Humm I sense sarcasim in your reply.
Now if your looking for advice and decide to be a dickhead in replying to the most sensible advice you will get then go ahead and piss off.

Now what you really wanted to hear.

The truth about cbr250s is that they are very highly tuned as standard.
Yes messing around with jets can get a tiny bit more power but you won't "feel" a huge difference.
The best way to go about getting more power is to get a decent can(or full system from japan, which are hens theet!) increase your airbox size, use a hi flow air filter(will have to be custom, nothing made to cbrspec) and then get it to a dyno and pay lots of money.

For the increase in power vrs the money that will cost it's just not worth it.

The cbr 250 goes 112mph restricted, now when you can go around corners that fast then start tuning.
The best way to make a 250 go faster is to make you go faster, that means getting some track time in.
Suspension mods are money well spent, decen tyres too but spending money on power gains is pissing into the wind.

So here is the deal, follow the guides on the old thread then dyno it.
I'm not being harsh but it's the truth.
A cbr400 or 600 is where more speed comes from.
Please don't mention slapping a turbo in it either!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Dwarf said:
walshma said:
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback guys.....i'll be sure to get the highest quality headlight fluid and flux capacitor I can find.

In regards to upgrading I was mainly thinking of upgrading the needles or jets that pump the fuel in, I've heard around the traps you can get bigger carby needles and than allow more air through the airbox which increases performance?

Also is there any documents or links on cleaning and resealing the carby?

Cheers :)
Humm I sense sarcasim in your reply.
Now if your looking for advice and decide to be a dickhead in replying to the most sensible advice you will get then go ahead and piss off.

Now what you really wanted to hear.

The truth about cbr250s is that they are very highly tuned as standard.
Yes messing around with jets can get a tiny bit more power but you won't "feel" a huge difference.
The best way to go about getting more power is to get a decent can(or full system from japan, which are hens theet!) increase your airbox size, use a hi flow air filter(will have to be custom, nothing made to cbrspec) and then get it to a dyno and pay lots of money.

For the increase in power vrs the money that will cost it's just not worth it.

The cbr 250 goes 112mph restricted, now when you can go around corners that fast then start tuning.
The best way to make a 250 go faster is to make you go faster, that means getting some track time in.
Suspension mods are money well spent, decen tyres too but spending money on power gains is pissing into the wind.

So here is the deal, follow the guides on the old thread then dyno it.
I'm not being harsh but it's the truth.
A cbr400 or 600 is where more speed comes from.
Please don't mention slapping a turbo in it either!:D
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. I've had the carby checked out by someone who knew what they were doing. Aparently I have to get a new float bowl seal in the 4th carby. I'm going to take it to the shop and get them to fix it as taking the carby off looks difficult. My guy said that if the carby dries out by letting the bike sit to long eg 2-3 weeks without starting it. The seals in the carby will dry and the seals will be weakened. Obviously I didnt intend on letting it sit that long but hey time gets away on you. Maybe a warning to others from my experience.

Cheers
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top