CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so taking it up to 12-14k rpm and even though movin' fast, get a strong smell of something burning.
(haven't done it lately but been meaning to ask before I do anymore of that. cause it doesnt seem right).

is that normal orr is something slowly frying that I should be attending to?
:-/

cheers

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Do your revs seem to be climbing higher than your speed? Cpuld it b slutch slip?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dayeve said:
Do your revs seem to be climbing higher than your speed? Cpuld it b slutch slip?
na. first gear to like 60 then into 2nd and up to 80 - still only takes a few seconds. first engages perfectly and same into 2nd from what I can tell.

oil level is fine.

ps. even if first is already engaged and slowly taking off. and then just hard acell. say from 10 to 50/60. burnningg.
so I figure that would rule out the clutch too?

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
I'd take your fairings off and see if anything is in contact with the exhaust, although TBH its strange that you can smell anything comming off your bike when you've got a 60+km/h headwind

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drew said:
I'd take your fairings off and see if anything is in contact with the exhaust, although TBH its strange that you can smell anything comming off your bike when you've got a 60+km/h headwind
I thought exactly the same thing...

thats why I figured there must really be clouds of smoke whopping past me that I can't see or something lol.
or something must REALLY be burning.

i'll check to see if anything is touching anything hot that it shouldn't be. but yeah..

ps. wind easily enters my helmet from the neck, so my head isn't airproof either :(

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Not speed related, but I've had brake fluid drip out of my rear reservoir onto the exhaust. Also had a big-arse can of rockstar in the boot that managed to puncture and empty it's contents on there as well. I was riding along thinking "something smells sweet".
:(

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nothing seems to be touchin anything or melting anything anywhere that I can find/see..

i don't even know what piston rings are but I was just watchin' the fast nd the furious and heard that brian had fried his 'piston rings'.
haha anyway, so that got me thinkin, what inside an engine could be burning when putting strain on engine? (hard acel).

come to think of it... it smells like burning if I downshift too early and the RPM in the lower gear is high.

so im thinkin maybe... high rpm = something frying.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
could it be an electrical burning smell? just throwing it out there

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Hows your oil? I remember my mums car was burning up with a weird smell checked the oil there wasn't much left

·
Registered
541 Posts
You sure it wasn't someone burning their rubbish as you passed...? Only way to tell for sure would be to start your bike on the stand, and look around to see if you can find anything unusual... Gees I hope its not electrical!!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what can I do to narrow down and identify the cause of it?

take it to a dyno/shop mcjiggy and ask them to check it out?

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
I used to freak out at the same point in my trip on my way to work each day. Would swear I smelt something burning. Used to think that by the time I reached that point in my trip the bike had warmed up so much that it started to cook something.

Turns out there was a factory/bakery at that particular point in the trip and everyone else I worked with who went that way to work smelt it.

The other thought I had was that I had cancer or something - cos I heard that you're meant to smell burnt toast or some shit like that.

If you're travelling and you can smell things burning - have a think if it's at the same point in your journey each time - it could just be a coincidence like mine was.

·
Registered
27,301 Posts
Get someone to ride behind you and see if your exhaust smokes when you revv the bike up.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Have you checked the inside of your helmet?

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
Sneddy said:
I used to freak out at the same point in my trip on my way to work each day. Would swear I smelt something burning. Used to think that by the time I reached that point in my trip the bike had warmed up so much that it started to cook something.

Turns out there was a factory/bakery at that particular point in the trip and everyone else I worked with who went that way to work smelt it.
lol, it used to confuse the shit out of me when i went past the kellogs factory in the mornings. then i saw the giant sign out the front. smells like cookies...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Xotoby,
I know exactly what you mean, i have the same problem. i've only pushed my bike that hard once and on that occasion i got that smell. i was going 150km Downhill hugging the fuel tank) and could still smell it. as soon as i backed off and went back to riding here easy the smell would go away.
Have you got any signs of an oil leak? mine started dropping oil after doing that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I Think my bike has a weird smell aswell, only occasionally though!!

When i accidently hit nuetral changing into second apparently she blows a heap of smoke
dunno the cause it idels fine/rides fine so hopefully i dont have any further problems

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
StillaCBR said:
I Think my bike has a weird smell aswell, only occasionally though!!

When i accidently hit nuetral changing into second apparently she blows a heap of smoke
dunno the cause it idels fine/rides fine so hopefully i dont have any further problems
I can't imagine you would. It's not like blowing heaps of smoke is a huge glaring warning that something isn't right or anything.

R

·
0 Posts
just putting it out there.... but I had some knob put a certain type of oil in my car once, and every time i hit 4k rpm or above it smelt like something was burning. now it is back to castrol magnetec it is fine at any range (even bouncing off the rev limiter, which I only do once a year or so...).... what type of oil do you have in your bike? If you don't know, perhaps it is that...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts