CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably like many people with an older generation CBR250R, the sponge/foam around my instrument cluster was pretty tatty and bringing down the tone of the bike. Here's how I went about fixing it with foam matting (about 13mm to 15mm thickness would work) and spray paint.
shoddy instruments.jpg
These instruments have seen better days

To do this you'll need basic tools to remove the front fairing, an 8mm socket (with extender) to remove the single bolt securing the instruments, Stanley knives/cutting implements, and a marking pen.
Incidentally, I got through this without disconnecting the electrics (just the speedometer cable) and simply moving them aside. You'll also probably want sandpaper, primer, and satin black paint if you intend on respraying the metal bit around the gauges (which I'd recommend).

Once you've accessed the instrument cluster, the sponge and metal surround you want are attached by 4 plastic attachments which pinch-lock from the back. Use a pair of needle nosed pliers to unfasten them, and the sponge surround and black metal backing should slide out fairly easily. The clear plastic covering the inside of the gauges can be unscrewed and cleaned too (I did) but this is optional.
P1070462.JPG
The pinch look attachments; these often get pretty oxidised and sun damaged so buff them with Armour all while they're out and they'll look much better when you reinstall them.

P1070461.jpg
Once out it should look like this.

Next get hold of the newly removed sponge surround and trace an outline of it onto the ~13mm thick foam matting you're using. I actually had to do this twice, as I found when cutting it out (the next step) the side you're cutting from tends to look 'rougher' than the side underneath. I got around this by first tracing the sponge bit onto paper, cutting it out, flipping it over, and then copying this 'mirrored' outline onto the foam mat.
P1070464.jpg P1070463.jpg

Once you have the outline on the mat, cut it out using a blade. I experimented with a few tools (long bladed box cutter, utility shears, and a regular Stanley knife), but found the Stanley knife with a fresh blade worked best.
P1070468.jpg P1070467.jpg
These are actually the rough proto-version, but the final one looked pretty similar

Once you've got an outline, mark out and use a 12mm or 13mm hole punch to get the attachment holes. The foam isn't that easy to cut, but it's very forgiving of slightly smaller holes and will look much better a bit stretched.

P1070469.jpg
What you'll need to get the holes right. You could possibly drill them out if you don't have one though, as the pinch-lock attachments overhang a few mil.

This may not apply to all of you, but the metal around my gauges was a bit rusty too so I had to sand it back before priming and painting. Use a fairly rough paper ~800 grit to get the rust off as most of it will be obscured by the foam surround. Definitely using acrylic paint or you'll be waiting far to long for it to dry.
P1070470.JPG P1070472.JPG
Sanded, then painted (not pictured: priming)

Once the paint it dry, it's pretty easy to squeeze the foam onto the metal backing, then just place back over the top of the clear plastic lenses. Finally, just press in the pinch-lock attachments from the front. It's one of those: hard-off, easy-on installs.
P1070475.jpg P1070476.jpg
The finished product, which hopefully looks pretty similar to the stock item back in the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Thanks for the great write up. I've been planning on fixing up my instro panel. You've given me the motivation and confidence now. Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,384 Posts
You only have 6 posts, and are being useful. You've got the wrong forum! :D
 
  • Like
Reactions: Slipry

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,384 Posts
No way, you'll get banned for that un-CBR250.com behaviour! You should be trolling or spamming crap
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top