CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of a friend owns a cibbie and calls me up today for advice.
Turns out he switched to reserve on the way home but was to lazy to fill up, the bike then wouldn't start when he tried to go out later and being the genius he obviously is he rummages through his garage for fuel finds none and pours a litre of kero into his tank to "top it up to get me to the fuelo hey"

His bike apparently ran like shit for a bit and now wont start at all. I told him to drain his tank and his carbys (confused silence on the other end when i mentioned carburetors) take everything apart give it a good clean and hope like hell. After a few more awkward questions about why taking the tank off included removing his seat i just told him to tow it to a mechanic.

But it got me wondering how much damage may he have really done? Im assuming from what ive seen of kerosene lighters it would leave alot of carbon all through his engine, maybe warp shit from different burning temps? Would it eat at seals like ethanol does?

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Wow.

Just, wow.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
wheres those facebook buttons "like" !! cool story tell your friend his a legend haha :D:D

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
While there are no cars that can run on kerosene, many people use it to either extend the life of their gasoline or to keep gas from freezing during winter. It's important to note that kerosene is as volatile as gasoline, so it should be handled with care at all times.
:-/

try cleaning the carbs and plugs and filling the tank up and see how you go.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Wouldn't even burn, more likely than not his carbs will need a clean but thats about it.

Give him a clip over the back of the head from me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I imagine it would knock like a mofo.

Annnnd a quick wiki later and we have
"Paraffin has an octane rating of zero and would damage an engine built for petrol."

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Kero is essentially diesel, you wouldn't be able to jam a spark through it at that compression and if you could it wouldn't light.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
well atleast its all going to be clean of the gunge built up over the years :p

·
Registered
977 Posts
I reckon I can beat that. My brother was at the servo cause all the warning lights started coming up on the dash. So he took his initiative and put oil in the coolant reservoir, oil in the windscreen fluid reservoir and then really blew us away when he put water in the oil...

That was a costly repair job.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, that's amazingly fail, especially for a guy. Could perhaps forgive a girl for pouring stuff anywhere it would fit.
I probably should have told him to throw some redbull in there to counteract the effects of the kero :p

But on a serious note, although i love pulling these bikes apart for maintenance I'm offering him no help, dont think he has the cash for a mech atm so hopefully hell stick to his commodore and live a little longer.
actually in saying that, dont know why the fuck he didn't siphon form his car.... ??

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If you'd to be busy what would you use as an additive with petrol for the carbs?

Like those bottles of fuel injector cleaners you can get?

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
hell it might just be a case of draining the fuel bowls of kero and starting it up with petrol.

I don't see what damage kero could really do...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
My gf just asked me what I was laughing about. So I read out the first post. Now we are both laughing. My gf knows sweet fuck all about cars, bikes and engines but she knows what goes in the 'petrol hole thingy'

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
jemook said:
I reckon I can beat that. My brother was at the servo cause all the warning lights started coming up on the dash. So he took his initiative and put oil in the coolant reservoir, oil in the windscreen fluid reservoir and then really blew us away when he put water in the oil...

That was a costly repair job.
at least he tried :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts