CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, apologies for not being faithful to the Honda wings, this was just an awesome deal at the time!

Anyway, some of you may know my 125 stunt bike project, if not please see:
http://cbr250.com/forums/project-bikes/9954-little-stunter-could-cbr125.html

A mate of mine wanted to get into stunting, so I striked up an awesome deal, and swapped him the 125 for a stat-write off R6! Specs are:

2005 model. EFI!
stat write-off. Damage to front end. Structurally aiight just brackets and front end fairing gone. Also some dints to the fuel tank.
Starts first go, mechanically seems to be A1 with f-all K's on the speedo!

Goodies that came with the bike are:
520# conversion
paddock stands
Akra titanium slip-on
near new tyres (nothing amazing, entry-level Dunlops I think?)
Come with a push-button start, eliminating need for key!

So this is what it looked up when it rocked up to my shed:

So first thing's first. Started stripping it.
The R6's are known to have glass subframes, so off with the OEM.
Also I thought I may as well do some basic servicing whilst I was at it.

Flipped the clip-ons around for a straight grip! Required some minor material shaving off the clip-ons. In the future I might invest in Vortex-style clip-ons.

Another angle shot:

So a month or so later, some stunt-specific bits of metal arrive to my door!

Stunt crash cage
Stunt subcage
Stunt subframe
12 o'clock scrape bar
Tail saver
50T sprocket. Thought I might start off 'small' and just bump the idle. I don't think I'm pro enough to take full advantage of 55+ teeth. Can always drop the front down 3 teeth if required.

Replaced the OEM subframe bolts with some stainless items.

Did some fitting tonight. Some minor mods required, so thought I'd leave it for another day!

Also decided to sell off the Akra and fit on an OEM 2006+ shorty muffler!

Picked an OEM titanium muffler off an 08 model for $60! Bargain! Brand new as well. Rapped. Will be fitting this bad boy up in the near future.

And, last but not least, got an RSC stunt ezy-pull clutch in the mail! These things are unbreakable. Would recommend to anyone, even for the track racers etc.

More updates to follow ladies.

xo

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said, it was an offer I couldn't resist!

And from a stunt point of view the R6 is such a better package than the f4i!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got some serious progress done.

Fitted the subframe. It was an ordeal to fit the aftermarket unit. Nothing compares to OEM!

Put the stunt pegs on, and the 12bar. check out where it sticks out of! Nice!

Finally put the crash cage on, new oil/filter/spark plugs/fresh fuel, fitted the 06+ muffler, and went to do some wheelies! Felt good :)

Feels good to be doing whooooolies again!

Now all that's left to do:

1/ Install radiator fan override switch
2/ Possibly look into an OEM 98-05 muffler as the 06 shortly is fairly loud
3/ Maybe dint the tank but will be of little use for now as I'm not planning on getting a handbrake setup anytime soon
4/ Cut hole in pillion seat
5/ Fit larger rear sprocket, but will need to extend my chain by another 5 or so links.

Practise time!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Where do you practice stunts/wheelies with an unregistered bike? do you throw it on a trailer and take it somewhere?

Just curious. Also what is the purpose of cutting a hole in the pillion seat?

·
Registered
783 Posts
That ran through my head but I assumed there would be some kind of pillion seat plate clip in kind of thing

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have a trailer and that is the general mode of transport to/from stunt spots.

However there is a stunt spot within close proximity to my residence, so I push the bike on the footpath. Very ghetto-looking! But it's an awesome exercise. Very tempting to ride it down the street though!

Regarding the hole in the seat, yes you are right, the hole is for stand up wheelies. You are also right you can get a plate that clips on and sticks out of the pillion seat. Only problem with that is if the bike flips over (eg endo gone too far) that clip can dig deep into your body if it lands on you.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers.

It depends on how you go about it but generally it's fairly expensive relative to price of motorbike.

If you manufacture all the stunt parts yourself you can get away with around $1K for a full setup including handbrake.

Otherwise, as a rule of thumb:

$1K-$2K stunt setup essentials, as what I've done above (depending on weather you buy from USA or Europe)
$1K-$2K hand brake setup (depending on how extreme you want to go)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick update. In general have been using and abusing the R6 stunter. Very happy with it so far, just need more time under the seat!

I've picked up an OEM '99 muffler. The thing weighs a tonne! Need to modify the connection to suit my extractor outlet pipe, but at this point in time I think I'll keep running with the shorty.

Installed the bigger 50T rear sprocket. Almost regretting not going larger as I end up running around 5KRPM idle when practicing idle wheelies. All good.
Anyone want to buy a 50T 520# steel sprocket for an R6??

Also dinted the tank. Was a tad tricky thanks to the R6 sharp lines. Still some final 'dinting' left to get it 100% pretty but for functionality this should be good enough for now! Highchair burnouts and endos here we come?!
Eventually I'll weld on a lip but not required at this stage.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Update! Not sure if anyone even reads these forums anymore?!?!? Anyway, I've since installed the OEM muffler - but removed the baffle and made a shorty! Looks sweet and sounds nice! Also got some aftermarket rearsets of eGhey but the brake side doesn't seem to have provision for master cylinder, so I'll be making an adaptor to suit. Also scored a shitty looking front end which I am yet to wire up. Other than than, saving the cash money for a handbrake setup! Will be epic, so stay tuned!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Nice!

Seems like a shame to dint a otherwise pristine tank. Did you think about swapping it with someone else's dented tank with cash your way?

Where are the pics of ze wheelies!??

Also what constitutes a 'stunt spot'?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers! Yeh you're probably right about the fuel tank part, but I really couldnt be bothered going through the excersize of finding someone to swap it with!

In regards to wheelies, i no longer have a go pro so can't really tape myself.

A stunt spot, IMO, is an area where you can do burnouts and wheelies where cops have not YET busted you....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts