CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have a look at a 2006 KTM 640 motard on Saturday.
The guy has had it since new and it has less than 4000 KLMs on the clock.

My questions are:
Is there anything I need to know about buying a bike with low KLMs?
It should have had 2 services by 4000 KLMs right?
Any problems with a bike that must have been sitting much of it's life?

Opinions appreciated....
I hope it's schmick because I'm sick of looking at trashed ones!!!

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
Can't give you any advice really, but I hope she's a pearl! 4,000kms is low so you're virtually getting a new bike!

Seems like Motard is the new Sports Bike.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
AFAIK the 640's would have 5000km service intervals (might be wrong though)
it may have starting issues if it has sat around in the shed for a while
for any KTM tard questions you've got you'll probably find the answers here though:
www.supermotojunkie.com

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas.
koiom, yes, the service intervals are 5000KMs but I think the first few thousand KMs should probably have a couple done. I will talk to the guy and see what I can find out.
Thanks for that link!

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
juxt said:
Thanks fellas.
koiom, yes, the service intervals are 5000KMs but I think the first few thousand KMs should probably have a couple done. I will talk to the guy and see what I can find out.
Thanks for that link!
if it's anything like my Husky it will have needed a a service at 1000kms and 5000kms then every 5000 after that.
however, most guys like to change their oil a few times before that first service.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
if its a KTM make sure none of the bolts are coming loose.. and yes i am serious... first thing i would do is locktight all the bolts on it

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Cerberus said:
if its a KTM make sure none of the bolts are coming loose.. and yes i am serious... first thing i would do is locktight all the bolts on it
+1 to that!
mind you it could be said for any thumper, not just Katooms.

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
koiom said:
juxt said:
Thanks fellas.
Thanks for that link!
if it's anything like my Husky it will have needed a a service at 1000kms and 5000kms then every 5000 after that.
however, most guys like to change their oil a few times before that first service.
same as my drz. mines got 6500 kays now and i had the 1000kay service done and ive done a service about every 2000kays since, just cos.

and a big +1 on the locktite, i dont think i have a single original bolt left on my plastics

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, it turned out to be in absolutely SWEET condition.
I put down a deposit so expect another 'new bike thread' in the next week or two...

*so happy*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts