CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks

It's been a while since I came on here. Like the new look, and seems to be more traffic coming through which is fantastic. I'm getting another bike in the next couple of weeks for road and not sure what to do with the MC19.

My intention was to make it into a road/track bike after slowly bringing it back to life (rebuild calipers, new fuel pump, carby clean, tune and what not) and doing all the little mods (braided lines, sintered pads etc). Still was planning to add frame slider or get someone to weld some aluminium to protect engine in case of fall....but wondering now if I should continue on or just sell the bike off. I have a tonne of parts, even a spare fairing set, pads, carby parts as I was set on having this as a road and track bike. Yes, silly me considering I have not been on the track with a bike before.
There is a small track up here in Townsville (anybody from there?) that can cater 250s. Not sure any bigger bikes could go. But figured I should start off with a 250 to learn etc etc..and then from there it's only a small step to MotoGP right? ;)

No one wanted it as a trade-in - best offered was $500! I reckon I could get 2K from a private sale with all additional bits and pieces but wonder if I should keep it as a track bike or maybe MC22 or similar 250 or possibly look at a 400 purely for track? The MC19 is a tad uncomfortable when hugging the fuel tank - tends to crush my junk if you excuse my french. And gear foot peg is a tad close to the gears but nothing I haven't got used to. Unsure if any of this really affects you in a racing situation but I thought I might put it out there.

So much blood sweat and tears have gone into fixing this bike but on the other hand I am unsure how long it would take to get started into racing and it may just lie there for several months, which I would hate to see.... I understand you have to join a club and possibly do a couple of advanced riding courses before racing?? Is it a time consuming process to get the basics right? I want to learn as much as possible.

Maybe some recommendations for a bike to get into racing with and learn everything I possibly can. Or do you think I should sell? I'm sure there are probably others who are keen to get into racing immediately and I could sell to..

Anyway, enough of this essay. Thanks beforehand for your help and time. Any suggestions - even if it is to go buy a go-kart instead.

Cheers
NK7

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate. Wasn't sure if this was the correct sub forum anyway. How do I ask mods to move the thread?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Nk7 if you like your 19 then keep it I guess? Will be fun around a small track. But not sure how the 250 proddy class is up there, maybe not many competitors? Otherwise you can get fairly new 600s pretty cheap. They will be better for parts as well and there's always stacks of people to race against.

To get started in racing you have to join a club, but generally you don't need to have completed any courses. But before you get carried away, keep in mind you will probably want to have logged some decent track time before starting your first race.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Hey mate, Im a local too. Suncity raceway is supposed to be pretty good. I had to sell my ZXR250 project and the bloke reckoned he was going to track it as he already has another. He reckons its a good track for 250's. Townsville is a hard place to sell bikes at a decent price for some reason, so I dont know about the 2K.

Club rego is an option, but it does restrict you to club rides. The Townsville Restored Motorcycle Club is an option, but they get around on pre war BSAs etc and they're all fairly old (members) :lol:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nk7 if you like your 19 then keep it I guess? Will be fun around a small track. But not sure how the 250 proddy class is up there, maybe not many competitors? Otherwise you can get fairly new 600s pretty cheap. They will be better for parts as well and there's always stacks of people to race against.

To get started in racing you have to join a club, but generally you don't need to have completed any courses. But before you get carried away, keep in mind you will probably want to have logged some decent track time before starting your first race.
Yep, yep. Definitely some track time before I venture into the big time of course. I do know someone selling off a SV650 - but I don't think the track here can accomodate the larger fellas.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep it and get club rego for it.
Club rego seems a good idea - will have to chase that up. Otherwise I was going to hire a trailer of sorts for track days. Wonder how old the bike has to be in QLD.

Hey mate, Im a local too. Suncity raceway is supposed to be pretty good. I had to sell my ZXR250 project and the bloke reckoned he was going to track it as he already has another. He reckons its a good track for 250's. Townsville is a hard place to sell bikes at a decent price for some reason, so I dont know about the 2K.

Club rego is an option, but it does restrict you to club rides. The Townsville Restored Motorcycle Club is an option, but they get around on pre war BSAs etc and they're all fairly old (members) :lol:
What club were you in, if at all? Did you track the ZXR at all? Does Suncity take anything bigger than a 250 out of curiosity?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are there other slightly tallish riders tracking MC19s? I ask mostly because my elbows are right on my knees when I crouch right over. Anyone have issues with that when tracking? Obviously I won't know until I do track the bike but I would rather ask first.

In fact, I was expecting more posts saying ditch the MC19 and get an MC22 with dual front rotors and what not.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Im over 6ft an 95kgs. The cibblet mc22 is fine for me.I got used of its size. I cant duck behind the screen and cant rest my arms on the tank when hanging off. But can still get my knee down and get about 160-170 out of it at mallala. I understand the mc19 is a little more upright.
Just take it to the track and see if you even like. Ifyou throw it down the track it wont cost much to fix and the off will not be a break neck speeds.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Slipry (and all others posting). 5' 9 here and roughly same weight so your comparison is quite pertinent. Getting 160 out of the MC19 is an issue with me. 140/150 at most. I need to check compression/valve clearances etc next. And get some gear.

But yeh, track days first to see how I like it. Understood. Cheers

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hint. You'll love it
And when getting gear consider 2nd hand. BargIns to be had for boots and jackets. Many boots are fully serviceable and blokes sell their gear after their mid life crisis is over. Sell bikes. Move etc.just do new gloves and helmet.
Upgrade when you know what you are to do with tracking and as you can afford it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So seems like I am keeping it. Was about to run out of rego so I decided to pay another 6 months and disconnected battery and lying in storage right now. As soon as I paid for rego a mate from work tells me he is selling his for $500 but it isn't running. MC19 obviously but might get it for spares. Don't think I will get onto the track till mid next year so was considering selling mine and fixing up the mate's one. Choices are not a good thing. :confused:

At any rate - what should I do with this barely used fairing set? I still have the old one and mate still has his old (slightly damaged) fairings as well that I could fix up. Should I sell?

I also installed Eclipse's headlight kit for the MC19 earlier in the year that I will remove or at least be not very useful on track...What do folk normally do? Keep their goodies in storage and cross their fingers and hope they don't fall in their tracking phase and then sell with all these bits and pieces to help the sale? I would sooner someone actually use them rather than it lie there in wait...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you can store a good set it will help you. Spares for the track are a must. One day you will spill and be glad you have them. Repairing abs plastics sucks balls. My 2c

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep and not to sound pessimistic but I feel a few falls might be coming as well and don't want to waste this good paint. Anyone using frame sliders on their MC19s or some cover ontop of the clutch cover?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Sliders and covers are custom jobs. I came off at 120 (greedy with over velous braking) and went for a good slide. Clip on, leavers, and fairing set and good to go again. The cases suprisingly if oem are quite thick! Id love some covers tho as eventually they will wear through (hope I will not need to find out how many they can take).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts