CBR250 Forums banner

MC22 Aussie Restoration

114105 Views 228 Replies 53 Participants Last post by  kula
Hey guys, new member here. I've actually been browsing for many many hours. Was inspired by many projects to start my own. I found my self a 1998 Honda CBR250rr for sale on Ebay for $1900. Still had over 6 months rego left. Started first time every time.

I didnt really want to get too crazy with it, but I love pulling things apart and understanding how things work. One minute I was pulling things off to see what condition it was in, next minute the bike was in complete bits.

So the overall plan is to break the bike down and rebuild everything to like new condition. As much as I want to play with the engine, it was running fine so Im going to leave it alone. Just give it a fresh look.

I love the look of the bike and will not be going the Tyga kit. The plan was to keep the original look, but once I had everything in pieces I thought I would get everything powdercoated to give it the best chance of looking new again.

So I've been at it for a while, I was going to share it with you guys but for some reason my account wasnt been activated. So now that it is, I'll throw up some random pics ive been taking.

Its pretty much up to rebuilding now. So let the fun begin :D
Reactions: 3
201 - 220 of 229 Posts
In focus photos! Good to see a nice write up.

How do you feel about spending some big $$ on a 250? Wouldnt the cash be better spent on a bigger bike?
It's hard with that lense to be in focus so close up.

Didn't really want to spend the big bucks on a 250. I enjoy working in the garage. I'm using this bike for practice being my first bike, then I will have the confidence restoring a more valuable bike.

I had already gone balls deep on this bike so I thought I would finish it off properly....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Miring hard dude. I wonder what Honda would think of this rebuild?
Hey blokes!! Finally recieved all my parts to rebuild my engine. Have been busy at it and its mounted on the bike nearly ready to start for the first time.

Have been very lazy finding time to upload all my photos for your viewing pleasure. Since I left it so long it has been painful uploading all the photos to photo bucket.

So I took the engine case to Classic Motorcycles to be Hydra blasted. Everything come up like brand new.

Brand new pistons, rings, bearings, valve seals, o-rings and gaskets!!!!!!

See less See more
All valves cleaned and measured for correct tolerances. All valves were lapped in their seats. Was frustrating at the start because the suction cup wouldn't stick to the valve unless it was bone dry. In the end I got the hang of it.

new valve seals

Brand new exhaust mount studs. Old ones were bent and worn.

Nuetral switch

See less See more
Shift drum and shift forks inspected and sharp edges blended.

Drum shifter and poles cleaned and lubed

Guide plate in

Shift spindle

gasket on

shift cover on

Transmission

First cam gear attachment

Oil pressure switch

See less See more
Wow everything looks brand new. So clean.

Good work!

Sent from my iPod Touch
Reactions: 1
Time for the piston rings to go on the pistons

Had the cylinders honed at Classic Motorcycles

All new bearings measured and selected from codes on case and crank.

checked the oil clearances again with plasti-guage to confirm the new bearings are correct.

new big end bearings

Installing pistons with piston ring compressor

See less See more

Oil pump cleaned and inspected.

Magnetic sump bolt.

Rebuilding clutch

See less See more

New head gasket on

Checking valve to piston clearance

See less See more
Wow!
Are yo going to clear coat the block to keep it shiny?
Wow!
Are yo going to clear coat the block to keep it shiny?
I was going to but old mate at Classic Motorcycles said hydra blasting makes the surface easy to clean.
Water pump inspected and new seals

Starter pulled apart, inspected and case painted.

See less See more
This thread is my OCD wet dream!

Well done Benny.
Benny,
I just discovered this thread and really enjoyed the super-crisp photography. What camera are you using? Another question: the MC22 engine parts looked amazing after hydra-blasting, but I must ask you for more details about what hydra-blasting is. Here in the USA I've never heard of it. What exactly is mixed with the water to leave the parts looking so clean? One place on line mentioned glass beads, but if that is correct could it still be considered a non-abrasive process? Thanks for your help!
Benny,
I just discovered this thread and really enjoyed the super-crisp photography. What camera are you using? Another question: the MC22 engine parts looked amazing after hydra-blasting, but I must ask you for more details about what hydra-blasting is. Here in the USA I've never heard of it. What exactly is mixed with the water to leave the parts looking so clean? One place on line mentioned glass beads, but if that is correct could it still be considered a non-abrasive process? Thanks for your help!
Thanks S600. Im glad you enjoyed the thread. The majority of the photos are from my Nikon D7000. I did alot of research into cleaning the engine and I found hydra blasting. I'll add the link to the place I had it done. Hydrablasting Classic Motorcycle Parts - Wet Blasting Equipment

"Campbell Classic Motorcycles have invested in the very latest technology in wet blasting equipment. The hydrablasting system was developed in The United Kingdom and is by far the best process for cleaning all types of metal components.

Often referred to as vapour blasting or vaqua blasting, the process uses a high volume, low pressure wet slurry system. It does not cause surface damage to components, therefore threads, seal surfaces and other sensitive areas do not have to be protected.

As part of the hydrablasting cleaning process, a high lustre surface finish is achieved that won't fingerprint and is easier to keep clean.

Campbell Classic Motorcycles hydra blasts components for a range of different industries and customer requirements some of which are: The Aviation, mining and marine industries. We have also blasted various components for vintage and classic car clubs, pneumatic and hydraulic valve bodies, suspension components for Mercedes cars as well as Cessna aeroplane props. Hydra blasting is a versatile cleaning process and it lends itself to cleaning a whole variety of different components, so don't be afraid to call and ask us for a quote to clean or a part!

See less See more
I've been lazy and havent given an update on the bike. Its all up and running and have taken it out once to start the break in of the engine. I really need to find somewhere I can ride it to break in away from traffic. That will be a while though, I had a fractured bone removed from my foot so no riding for a while.

Will try get some photos and maybe even a video of the finished product.
Some of those before/after hydra-blasting photos on the linked-to page are almost unbelieveable. Great process.

Your engine really does look brand new. I'm not a big fan of painted engines -- I like to see the aluminum. Hopefully your friend is right, and the hydra-blasted surface will be easy to keep clean. Anyway, this thread is going to be inspirational for a lot of us thinking about refreshing our CBRs. Thanks again; I hope this engine runs (and looks) great for years!
Did you by chance document the needle bearing size/part# in the swingarm? I was certain this would be a part common to a ton of Hondas. Shame on me!
Did you by chance document the needle bearing size/part# in the swingarm? I was certain this would be a part common to a ton of Hondas. Shame on me!
Hi mate, sorry for the late reply. I had a look at the old needle bearing and the part number is HMK 2420.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this is cool project,,, and me also really inspired on this site very serious lads to do their toys restored and upgraded, and also I just bought a cbr300r and planning to put a mc22 cbr250rr front set for it to make it dual disc I got the forks, wheels with disc, and also the calipers with bracket, what I am missing is the brake master for the front calipers.... Just want to know if the previous brake master will be compatible on the dual caliper as it is originally goes on single caliper.... thanks in advance
201 - 220 of 229 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.