CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new member here from Perth Western Australia.
I have a 91 MC22 250RR that i've owned for 3 years now and its developed a no start scenario..

(before anyone says, yes ive read the sticky thread)

so before i took off over seas, (september 2015) i washed my bike and put it in the shed untill my return. after washing it i did the usual start and run to dry out any moisture from where it shouldn't be.
it started and idled perfectly for probably 45 seconds, then died and refused to start, only back firing randomly here and there, i checked fuel, double checked switches etc etc and tried again only to drain the battery flat. i gave up and pushed it in the shed and didn't touch it again.

i returned back home to australia not too long ago and recommenced trying to get the ol girl running again.
i tried new fuel, i checked all fuses, cleaned all harness connections, new battery, tested coils, tested pulse generator. tested a bunch of stuff and nutted out its getting an insufficient/random spark, like as if timing got totally muddled up.
so i bit the bullet and bought a new CDI module, it arrived in the post after the bike sitting for 2 weeks, i plugged it in, hit the key and she fired into life almost instantly. i shut it back off to check the plug leads because it was miss firing (running on 3), couldn't find anything out of place so tried to re-start and i'm back to square one, back firing here and there with no hope of starting, have i just fried my new CDI???
Getting a bit stuck, not sure if it was a coincidence it started after swapping CDI or if there might be an underlying issue thats got nothing to do with it. thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
361 Posts
Check these sections of the forum:
Maintenance

General Technical

In particular try and find posts about testing your reg/rec, testing your stator.

Have you pulled the spark plugs out? If they look dry as after trying to start the bike then you probably have blocked jets in your carb.

Look for posts by Eclipze

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'd be looking at the plugs and carbs, assuming western AU has the same ethanol problem the US has. Ethanol will gum up carbs in no time flat.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
There was no mention in your post about new spark plugs, people that start their bike unnecessarily always foul up their plugs, don't clean them replace them.

And clean your carbs.

99% of problems are fixed with these two processes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts