CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--MC22 throttle not responding, but now working again?--

I went out for a ride yesterday and everything was going smooth. I was changing gears at 12k RPM every time and was cruising In 3rd/4th gear at 8/10k RPM.

About 40 mins into the ride I was taking off in 1st gear, got up to about to 16k RPM, switched to second then all of a sudden my throttle wasn't responding and my bike eventually just turned off. (My temperature gauge was half way up, is this normal?)

I pulled over to the side of the ride for 5 minutes and my bike wasn't starting. I tried again a couple mins later and it started up again and my throttle was responding. (Temperature gauge dropped Back to normal)

i started to ride again for 30 seconds then the same thing happened. Gave it throttle and noting happened, bike shut down.

i pulled over again, bike wouldn't start so I waited again. Eventually it did turn on and I rode to my mates house 5 minutes near by and the bike seemed to ride fine again.

(bike does have fuel in the tank)

woild anyone know what the problem is? Was I giving it/cruising at too much RPM? Was my bike over heating?
Sorry I'm a newbie to riding. Any reply would help! Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
--MC22 throttle not responding, but now working again?--

I went out for a ride yesterday and everything was going smooth. I was changing gears at 12k RPM every time and was cruising In 3rd/4th gear at 8/10k RPM.

About 40 mins into the ride I was taking off in 1st gear, got up to about to 16k RPM, switched to second then all of a sudden my throttle wasn't responding and my bike eventually just turned off. (My temperature gauge was half way up, is this normal?)

I pulled over to the side of the ride for 5 minutes and my bike wasn't starting. I tried again a couple mins later and it started up again and my throttle was responding. (Temperature gauge dropped Back to normal)

i started to ride again for 30 seconds then the same thing happened. Gave it throttle and noting happened, bike shut down.

i pulled over again, bike wouldn't start so I waited again. Eventually it did turn on and I rode to my mates house 5 minutes near by and the bike seemed to ride fine again.

(bike does have fuel in the tank)

woild anyone know what the problem is? Was I giving it/cruising at too much RPM? Was my bike over heating?
Sorry I'm a newbie to riding. Any reply would help! Cheers
Well I think its an overheating issue, I bet if you had let the bike cool down fully...install manual switch for the fan so you can control the temp, go to shop and buy the most expensive pre-mixed coolant flush it out I suppose. I change gear 17500 rpm except when bikes still warming up.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Temp gauge at "half" IS normal. Depends on what the ambient temp is also. Sometimes mine can go higher on a got sunny day when the bike is stationary.

As to the issue of the motor dying, I would check that its getting fuel flow through the fuel tap/fuel filter. Sounds to me like it might have a slight blockage. Your carb float bowls aren't getting the chance to fill properly, evident by the fact that you have power when you first try to take off but then lose power once the carbs cant get enough fuel. I'd say, when you stop, there is just enough fuel flow to fill the float bowls of your carbs (where they "store" fuel, ready for quick supply to the Carb Jets.) To check my theory, lift your fuel tank, pull the main fuel hose (the thick one) and the vacuum hose (the thin one) off the motor (so they're still attached to the fuel tap on the bottom of your fuel tank), make sure your fuel tap is in the ON position, then apply suction to the vacuum hose (with your mouth is fine, a syringe is probably better though...) if all is fine, you should get a good steady flow of fuel out of the main hose (a good idea would be to have it flow into a bottle or jar, not onto the floor!) If you don't get a good steady flow, there's your issue. Also, if you have an inline fuel filter (halfway down your main fuel hose) check that it is clean and not full of contamination.

Let me know how you go. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I think its an overheating issue, I bet if you had let the bike cool down fully...install manual switch for the fan so you can control the temp, go to shop and buy the most expensive pre-mixed coolant flush it out I suppose. I change gear 17500 rpm except when bikes still warming up.
Thank you for the reply!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks heaps for the reply, appreciate it! I'll try when I go to
my mates house where my bike is currently at

1 - 5 of 5 Posts