CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

I put a tyga kit on my MC22 and moved the reg/rec under the fuel tank to where The guys at tyga said to put it. It didnt last too long, its cooked it. i assume its not getting any cooling. has anyone else had that problem or have i done something wrong. also does anyone have a fix for this once i get a replacement? Maybe a better place to bolt it down too?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Isn't it ment to go somewhere with airflow? I remember putting some thermal paste on the backside of the rectifier to transfer the heat from it to the bike frame

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i thougt too but i went to their website and it says "The next task is to relocate the regulator. It needs to be removed because it will be in the way of the new seat cowling. Its new home is tucked under the fuel tank rear mount and mounting hardware is supplied in the kit to make the task easy." and they had the attached pic (not sure if the pic will work). but it makes no sense. it would get 0 cooling there, but i assumed these guys knew what they were talking about

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The Honda reg/recs are crap and often fail in the original position, even with the subframe as a heatsink. I would definitely get one with cooling fins and find a decent piece of metal to bolt it to.

If you need one Eclipze sells them cheap.
http://www.ecliptech.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=24&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=113

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
someone with a sumoto/tyga bike needs to pipe and let us know if thier reg/recs are fine in that postiion

·
Registered
27,297 Posts
Chrissybenn said:
someone with a sumoto/tyga bike needs to pipe and let us know if thier reg/recs are fine in that postiion
They're all probably busy fixing their rectifiers :)

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
That's friggin' ridiculous... the reg/reg needs to be mounted on the frame to sink the heat. They are designed to work given the frame to sink to the heat into. Same with all bikes. Not mounting one to the frame is just going to end badly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big Al said:
The Honda reg/recs are crap and often fail in the original position, even with the subframe as a heatsink. I would definitely get one with cooling fins and find a decent piece of metal to bolt it to.

http://www.ecliptech.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=24&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=113
Had a look at my rec this morning, it's completely fried. So I'm sure eclipze will be hearing from me later today. Now I just need somewhere to bolt the new one down too. Not too keen on putting it in the same place. Hopefully someone with a tyga kit can shed some light on this....

Thanks alot for all your posts and replys guys and gals. Much appiciated. I'm only new to bikes but i'm sure with time and trial and errors working on the bike I'll be able to help someone else out.[hr]
Big Al said:

Had a look at my rec this morning, it's completely fried. So I'm sure eclipze will be hearing from me later today. Now I just need somewhere to bolt the new one down too. Not too keen on putting it in the same place. Hopefully someone with a tyga kit can shed some light on this....

Thanks alot for all your posts and replys guys and gals. Much appiciated. I'm only new to bikes but i'm sure with time and trial and errors working on the bike I'll be able to help someone else out.
[/quote]

ive atached pics of what the rec. looks like 2 weeks after relocating it... it has completely cracked open. i dont know if this would stop it from working?? but im sure its not meant to be cracked. the connector had char marks on it as well and the wires were charred and i could hear them cracking as i wiggled them a bit (not sure how visible they are in the pics) so ill be cutting them and changing them.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
this is where my rec/reg was on my old bike..not a great pic but yeah...1 side of the rec/reg was mounted to 1 of the exhaust hanger mount...no problems at all!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pOint_01 said:
this is where my rec/reg was on my old bike..not a great pic but yeah...1 side of the rec/reg was mounted to 1 of the exhaust hanger mount...no problems at all!

awsome that looks like a good a place as any to put it. i was thinking maybe bolt it to where the rear pegs were cause i didnt put mine back on but i think where you had yours looks better. thanks mate

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
Ouch... that is a massive fail for the reg/rec. A crack at all is a bad sign and I'd be surprised if it still works.

You should definitely replace the terminals on the wires. They'll be weakened, probably charred a little and won't conduct very well. Leave them, and it'll likely cause excessive heat at the terminals due to the bad connection. Bad terminals can cause a reg/rec to fail, as often the wiring gets too hot, fuses together and shorts out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eclipze said:
Ouch... that is a massive fail for the reg/rec. A crack at all is a bad sign and I'd be surprised if it still works.

You should definitely replace the terminals on the wires. They'll be weakened, probably charred a little and won't conduct very well. Leave them, and it'll likely cause excessive heat at the terminals due to the bad connection. Bad terminals can cause a reg/rec to fail, as often the wiring gets too hot, fuses together and shorts out.
I'll defenately be changing the wires near the terminal. Any specific wires I should use? Because if I just cut them and put new connectors then I don't think they will reach to relocate the reg/rec and put it on the exhaust hanger as point_01 advised.

Also I have already ordered and payed for a reg/rec from your store.

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
...I've already posted it hehee...

For the 3 yellow alternator wires, get a small roll of wire from Autobarn, won't cost much. 4 metres of Narva 4mm cable. It's 15A automotive cable.
For the green and red wires to the reg/rec, I'd personally recommend to go the 5mm wire size. You could probably get away with the Narva 4mm, but it comes down to performance (voltage drop) and for this application I wouldn't stuff around.

Get a roll of electrical tape too.

Shame I didn't know you'd need this when I posted the reg/rec today. I've got wire and electrical tape here I could have thrown in the satchel.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Eclipze said:
Shame I didn't know you'd need this when I posted the reg/rec today. I've got wire and electrical tape here I could have thrown in the satchel.
And this, folks, is Ecliptech customer service in a nutshell.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stavros said:
Eclipze said:
And this, folks, is Ecliptech customer service in a nutshell.
The order was recieved, processed and ship out and I recieved a tracking number via email all in an hour! Doesn't get better than that![hr]
Eclipze said:

For the 3 yellow alternator wires, get a small roll of wire from Autobarn, won't cost much. 4 metres of Narva 4mm cable. It's 15A automotive cable.
For the green and red wires to the reg/rec, I'd personally recommend to go the 5mm wire size. You could probably get away with the Narva 4mm, but it comes down to performance (voltage drop) and for this application I wouldn't stuff around.

Get a roll of electrical tape too.

It's ok mate you helped me out heaps already

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi all

AN UPDATE
Thanks to eclipze i recieved the new reg/rec today. i went out and bought the wiring as specified by eclipze and got some new shiny connectors to fit. i cut the wiring where it was burnt and charred and put new wiring and connectors and decided to follow point_01's advice and mounted it on the exhaust bracket. bike now runs like a dream. it idles at bout 1600 and holds at that idle really well. and for the first time since ive owned it , i was able to start it without using the choke and it hadnt been started in almost a week. most of the noises and crappy sound from the exhaust is now gone and most importnantly its holding power on high revs and is revving as it should be. before i was restricted at 8000rpm. and the flat spots are gone when on the throttle.

heres the issue though, i hooked up the multimeter to the battery and got some wierd readings.

bike off/closed ignition 12.36V
open ignotion with low beams on and in neutral 11.97V
idle at 1600rpm 12.58
3000rpm 14.20v
5000rpm 13.80V
8000rpm 13.50V

Question is, should this be happening or is there a problem? i mean im new to bikes but pretty sure that somethings not right.

also im still getting a whinning/ whistleing sound. when the bike is on idle you can barely hear it but it get louder and louder when you get on the throttle. it does it in neutral and in gear while riding and while standing still. i cant really figure out where its coming from (bloody exaust is super loud). i got audio on my iphone but i dont know if i can post it here......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts