CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I guess someone has to pick up where others left off.

It's GP time again, and finally after missing the last two in America due to their gay time zone differences it's back to Europe with one of my favourite rounds! Last couple of years have been a bit boring at Brno but with the competition being a bit closer this year I'm looking forward to some good battles.

Pos.Num.RiderNationTeamBikeKm/hTimeGap 1st/Prev.
135Cal CRUTCHLOWGBRMonster Yamaha Tech 3Yamaha307.11'55.527
219Alvaro BAUTISTASPAGO&FUN Honda GresiniHonda311.71'55.7540.227 / 0.227
393Marc MARQUEZSPARepsol Honda TeamHonda313.61'55.8630.336 / 0.109
426Dani PEDROSASPARepsol Honda TeamHonda314.81'55.8680.341 / 0.005
599Jorge LORENZOSPAYamaha Factory RacingYamaha309.41'55.9490.422 / 0.081
638Bradley SMITHGBRMonster Yamaha Tech 3Yamaha308.81'56.0140.487 / 0.065
746Valentino ROSSIITAYamaha Factory RacingYamaha307.91'56.1860.659 / 0.172
86Stefan BRADLGERLCR Honda MotoGPHonda312.41'56.4770.950 / 0.291
94Andrea DOVIZIOSOITADucati TeamDucati307.01'56.8251.298 / 0.348
1069Nicky HAYDENUSADucati TeamDucati308.41'56.9791.452 / 0.154

(BTW - copy & past from MotoGP in the new forum is FUCKING EPIC!!!)

Qualifying reads as though it was interesting, with a massive WTF from Bautista. I missed the last 2 races, did he suddenly grow balls in America?!

At any rate there's been a different winner for the last 4 years - so I'm thinking it's anyone's race.

I'm picking:

1. MM
2. Pedbot
3. Crutchlow

Would love to be proved wrong though.

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to take into account Crutchlow's abysmal ability to start a race... Fingers crossed he gets his arse into gear in Silverstone...

Still, not a bad weekend of racing...

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^I wouldn't go that far.

Yes, he's amazing, but you also have to remember the machinery that he's come through the ranks on. Yes, Rossi didn't win his first GP, but that was also in the days of 500cc 2 stroke bikes. Very different machines with little to no electrical gizmos (compared to now at any rate).

Not to mention how long Rossi's winning career lasted... 8 World titles is going to be hard for anyone to match, even with how young MM is.

Rossi is still one of a kind and even with MM potentially winning in his premier year in GP, you can't compare the 2 simply from a results perspective.

What would have been interesting this year is if Stoner stuck around. Never thought I'd say it but I do miss the guy at the moment.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Looking at MM's current records, he's doing better than Rossi ever did at the same age...

I have no doubt that MM would be fully capable of riding a 500cc monster, but that's a different discussion for a different day. Everyone has been witness to how he learns and adapts very quickly, learning to ride a different style bike wouldn't be much of an issue for him...

·
Administrator
77 Posts
I'm actually starting to feel bad for Lorenzo....he just doesn't have anything for Marquez. Marc just stalks him for a while, figures out his weak spot, and pounces with 5-7 laps left. By then, JLo has nothing left, and no time to figure out when/where/how even if he did. Gotta suck to watch your title streak slip away, week by week, to a rookie.

Go Marquez! All hail the future. Sneddy, think back to what was said about KR when he first went to Europe and showed the world how HE did it!

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking at MM's current records, he's doing better than Rossi ever did at the same age...

I have no doubt that MM would be fully capable of riding a 500cc monster, but that's a different discussion for a different day. Everyone has been witness to how he learns and adapts very quickly, learning to ride a different style bike wouldn't be much of an issue for him...
Let's put him on a Ducati then...

·
Registered
15,509 Posts
I dont think anyone can stop MM.

I honestly thought he would not be doing this well this season. Thought he would be fast, but crashing alot. He has proven he can keep a cool head and thats exactly why he is sitting at No 1 in the points.

Wouldnt say he is the next Rossi either - would argue that he is better.
Rossi is a great rider, and he was the best in the world for a long time. But back then he didnt have a whole lot of competition.. :popcorn:

Imagine if Stoner came back and Honda booted Pedbot for him..

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
Well he steers with the rear, looks as though he has a good feel for what the bike is doing. It would be interesting to see, I don't reckon he would be far off the pace.
Agreed .. he rides like Stoner in many ways, and is just as fun to watch! He backs it into corners, and slides through them :)

The commentators here yesterday were saying "We used to say we had seen the fastest person on two wheels, and that was Stoner, but this guy may just be faster"

Stoner .. come back please. It would be epic!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Kinda feel sorry for pedrosa.. (only a little) After stoner leaving im quite sure he would have imagined being no 1 contender and no 1 honda rider. tehn some rook comes in and blows him away.

Hope MM goes on to break records. He is an entertaining rider, loved seeing his battles and balls come out in moto 2 last year.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
True, but right now Honda > Yamaha and while MM is arguably the most talented rider currently in the ranks it's no secret that JL isn't doing much wrong and still consistently coming up short against the factory honda guys.
Yep .. but bear in mind he still also has a pretty busted up shoulder? Surely that's not 100%?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts