CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought this oil Motul 5100 10W30 and already broken the seal, is it suitable for MC22?

Normally use 5100 10W50

·
Registered
526 Posts
Check the manual.
It has a graph for oil viscosity vs. external temperature.
Table 3 - 2
10W30 works for temps from -10 to 30 degrees C.
10W40 is the recommended oil and works for -10 to above 40 degrees C

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what happens to the bike? because my friend has already poured it in

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
imo... 10w50 is a bit thick then again, the cibbie's engines are 20years+ old and might benefit from a bit thicker oil.

10w40 is what is recommend for in aussie conditions.

10w30 will be fine.... use it now in the cooler months and by the time summer hits, it'll be time for another change, and this time buy the one you need.

S

·
0 Posts
There is a motor bike on the front, so it must be the correct oil.

Like others have said, your fine.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I went to buy some Motul 5100 10W50 one day and then the Honda shop said they don't make 10W40 any more so he wanted to sell me 10W50 and tried to rip me by selling it for $80 but I told him I want it cheaper so he did it for $50.

Is it true that 10W40 is not made anymore because it seems kind of strange...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No you can still buy 10w30, 10w40, 10w50. I brought 10w50 from MCA normally roughly $65 for 4L

·
Registered
20 Posts
dazz245 said:
I went to buy some Motul 5100 10W50 one day and then the Honda shop said they don't make 10W40 any more so he wanted to sell me 10W50 and tried to rip me by selling it for $80 but I told him I want it cheaper so he did it for $50.

Is it true that 10W40 is not made anymore because it seems kind of strange...
Yeh, go to MCA, its all there 30, 40 and 50. I use 7100 10w40

And tell the douch at the Honda shop to pull his head out of his arse...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Damn I hate when assholes tell me shit that's not true, I knew they were wankers.

From that same shop I wanted to buy a throttle sleeve thing, that thing you twist to accelerate, so he looks it up on the computer and says it costs $22.50 and I accepted it and said order it, then he said it might be on back order so then I told him to ring me first before ordering it. 6 weeks passed by then I had got my sleeve from another shop and an invoice arrived in the mail for $22.50... I didn't even get a call in that time about it arriving, something that never should have been ordered anyway.
Unfortunately my dad paid for it wrecking my plan of not paying for it.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$39.99 off ebay + $10 postage upto 10 bottles 4L no additional charge :D

And... $50 for 4L bottles from Action MC the other month not sure if still running?

Dazz what shop was it ?

·
Registered
861 Posts
aj26 said:
$39.99 off ebay + $10 postage upto 10 bottles 4L no additional charge :D

And... $50 for 4L bottles from Action MC the other month not sure if still running?

Dazz what shop was it ?
Kyabram Motorcycles and Power Equipment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd recommend against using 10W-50 as the thin 10 weight base oil needs a lot of friction modifiers to meet the standards of a 50 weight oil when at operating temp. 10 or 15W-40 would be fine, and 10W-30 should also work well. It may provide slightly less protection when being used in higher temperatures, but provided you aren't doing a trackday in 40'C heat then I wouldn't see a problem.

Also, if you change your oil regularly (every 5,000km or 12 months) along with the filter every change or two, then I generally wouldn't worry about the oil you use provided its either a 10W30, 40 or 50. Again, this is assuming you aren't doing silly things with your bike, such as prolonged periods at or near redline (eg 180km/h freeway rides).

Cheers - boingk

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Changing to 10w40 or 10w50 in 5000km or less including oil filter, spark plugs, coolant flush & air filter clean. I don't go by months with the bike

Not redlining for now lol, just cruising at 80km/h and the wind is cold enough to keep the temp gauge at cold or just little bit over cold.

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
While we're on the topic of oil - I need to do my first service and need a good mineral oil as she's still in the break in period.

Anyone have any recommendations?? I've never had to buy mineral oil before so I'm a little out of my league...

·
Registered
53 Posts
The myth about needing mineral oil for the break-in period is just that - a myth. The engine will always get enough internal wear and tear in the first few thousand kilometers of use to bed itself in properly and function as designed, regardless of the oil used.

Unless the oil says '100% synthetic' or similar, its mineral oil. Otherwise, just whatever type of oil (10W-30, 15W-40 etc) your bike manual says to use is fine. I would recommend a basic container of Valvoline 'Engine Armour' 10W-40, or Shell 'Motorcycle 4T' 15W-40. Both can be found at most good auto stores, or the closest Supercheap Auto.

Cheers - boingk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts