CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided that I will transfer this project across as it's been my favourite bike that i have built so far in all my life.

Here is the original thread. Enjoy the reading.

By the way this thread started back in May 2008

As if i don't have enough on my plate. I've dragged out this beast from the back shed to finally make a start. I thought I'd post some pictures and also to get some ideas.

The story so far.

I bought the bike for a good all round commuter that has some poke to it. Also it will look pretty good once finished. I may go street fighter, not sure yet.

The bike was bought with bent forks, front wheel and frame. It also had heaps of parts missing from it. I've started to collect parts now.

I've had the front wheel fixed, sourced good second forks and got the triple clamps straighten.

Here's the bike at about 12pm today.

2 hours later it's ready for it's trip to the man himself for some tweaking, the man would be Laurie.

I'm also thinking about a different exhaust. I've found 2 types that i like the sound of on youtube. Check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXmxutpW6Sk&feature=related

I know it's a 600, but it may be adapted to suit the 250.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsQt_QX1jU0&feature=related

I don't mind the twin pipe set-up either.

I'll keep you guys in touch with the progress.

Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:22 pm

Bike is stripped and awaiting the painter.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:32 pm

http://s3performance.com.au/acewell-3963-digital-speedo-computer-with-lcd-p-38.html

Got this little gizmo in the post today. Very happy with the service and the product so far. I can't wait until I fit this up.

Took the parts to Daytona to get blasted and I should get it all back next week. I'm making slow progress, but you get that when you have many going at the same time.

I still need to chase up side fairings, front disc and a front guard.

This will be a very neat bike. I know so may think I'm wasting time and money on a 250, but It will make a very nice commuter with some bling.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:28 pm

I got the frame fixed and then it was stripped down to a pile of parts.
The frame, swing arm and other bits got sandblasted and then painted in a very nice semi gloss 2 pac black.

Here's some pictures for you..

It was a bit tricky trying to fit the stand to the frame. The next few are taken at my mates panel shop.

Swing arm..

Bits and pieces

Here is where it's up to. I've just put some RR wheels to get this thing mobile around the shed.

I've fitted new head stem bearings and all the swing arm bearings were checked and re-greased. I used a long bolt and some washer to prevent any sand grit or paint getting in there.

I'm going to sand down the wheels tomorrow and they'll get painted. I should have the wheels back soon.

Just waiting on my engine stand so I can check the valve clearance and give the engine some paint.

I'm waiting on a fake carbon fibre front guard and when money allows some side covers for it.

I also have a digital dash for it..I'm off to play with wiring now..

Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:48 pm

The wheels have been painted and the pictures don't do any justice.

It's a candy orange centre with gloss black outer edges. I also got some new rubber. Mick at Bike tech hooked me up with a pair of pilot sports for a really good price and fitted them the same day.

I get some more pictures of the wheels on the bike tomorrow.

A big thanks to Tony with helping my get the wheels for two wheels and to bike tech/home for me..

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:22 pm

Did some more work today...well as much as the back pain permitted. I had my mate help me with the heavy stuff.

Motor in the jig ready for painting. I checked the shim clearance and I was amazed to see how low klm this motor is. Under the tappet cover they are normally golden brown from the oil. This was like brand new. No staining what so ever.

Got to love that 180 rear..

The wheels look awesome on the bike. Bit hard to tell without any rubber at first.

Front shot of the wheel.

I never got a speedo with the bike, but looking at the bike I would say it has less than 20,000 klms on the bike.

I did have this running before the tear down and the engine is very quiet and smooth.

I also noticed that the rear sprocket to the sprocket carrier has the original honda dot. This is the original sprocket and it still looks new.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:31 pm

Christmas has come early for me. I got the stuff back from the painters and these pictures will explain themselves..

I have to say that this is the best bike by far that I have built for myself. I've only built 2 for myself if your wondering..

Still a few little things to do, but very close. By the time I'm able to ride again this bike will be finished and registered.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:56 pm

The bike is registered and I can't believe how nice this bike is to ride. Best bike that I've built/ridden by far.

Love it.

The number makes me smile too...SHA97

Shagged for the slow minded. These were random plates. Even the RTA lady had a laugh..

Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:21 am

Here's some pictures after we went on a bucks weekend ride to bathurst.

We left around 11am Saturday and got into bathurst around 4-5pm. We checked into pub and headed straight to Mount panorama.

That was an awesome experience to actually ride around the track.

6 bikes in total went up. Gixxer 1000, CBR1000RR, FZ1000, Hysoung GTR 650 and me on the hornet 250.

All the boys were surprised at how well the hornet went. I kept up to them in the twisties to a certain point.

The hornet suspension is soft and when you really push it, you van feel wallow under you.

We went through some road works on the way back, hence the mud/dirt.

I can't recommend a hornet 250 enough for someone who is on their L's/P's and travels heaps.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
she is amazing mate! you've done an amazing job! Shame you don't see many of these around really!

Love the tachometer on the bars also noticed today she even breaks down to . point was doing 49.5 haha

Again awesome mate

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fitzy said:
she is amazing mate! you've done an amazing job! Shame you don't see many of these around really!

Love the tachometer on the bars also noticed today she even breaks down to . point was doing 49.5 haha

Again awesome mate
How was the ride how today?

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
your right she is so much comfy than the blades. power was delivered smoother also! feel you could really do some long rides on that and not have ? back.

·
Registered
614 Posts
wow! i enjoy seeing these bike restorations!! looks sick mate!
love the whole orange and black color scheme! looks mean!

·
Registered
74 Posts
i love this thing ppl say a picture adds up to 1000 words but when u up front and on this thing and riding feeling what a smooth ride for a resto then ur realisewhat a bike this really is

1 - 11 of 11 Posts