CBR250 Forums banner

New to CBR World

1039 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  CBR023LO
Hi all!!

I have a few questions please...

Ive just become a CBR250r MC19 Rider totally new to bikes and all that, now the bike... LOVE IT!! the RIDE even more so!!

but I seem to have some strange things going on..

1. Idle when cold is really ruff and the bike is very prone to stalling.. once warm it runs fine but still has an un-smooth idle, could this just mean it needs a tune?

2. the fuel pump is some American thing thats HUGE!! nothing like that in the manual, and the fuel filter is bigger than that of the Subaru..... Could this affect the running of the engine

3. Fuel guage... can I install one??

4. 10mm free play on the throttle grip, is this normal?? being its an 89 model?

5. PETCOCK.... on... off.... res... all do the same thing.... lets me ride and run fuel into the banger box... do I need to replace the tank as its all in the tank and 2 bolts just give me a small plate with 3 holes in it

I am sorry to bombard with what may be stupid questions I just cant make sense of anything as what I see in the manual is not whats on the bike....

Thank you for your time...
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
#1 the bikes are finicky, but do a carb sync to be sure that's not the issue.

#2 no experience with an mc19. Unless the pump isn't flowing enough fuel it shouldn't be a problem. Pretty sure theres a flow test in the service manual.

#3 why? Run on primary, once she starts to spat and sputter flip to reserve.

#4 10mm sounds excessive. Dig up the factory service manual for specs and adjustment procedure.

#5 Sounds like the MC19 has a different style petcock than the MC22, which bums me out as I need info in the MC22 petcock. Regardless there likely is a direct fit replacement available, if you can find the part#. An alternative is one of Pingels after market petcock and their adapter plate to match your style.

Hope this helps! Dig around, the service manual is easy to find on this forum.
Hi all!!

I have a few questions please...

Ive just become a CBR250r MC19 Rider totally new to bikes and all that, now the bike... LOVE IT!! the RIDE even more so!!

but I seem to have some strange things going on..

1. Idle when cold is really ruff and the bike is very prone to stalling.. once warm it runs fine but still has an un-smooth idle, could this just mean it needs a tune?

2. the fuel pump is some American thing thats HUGE!! nothing like that in the manual, and the fuel filter is bigger than that of the Subaru..... Could this affect the running of the engine

3. Fuel guage... can I install one??

4. 10mm free play on the throttle grip, is this normal?? being its an 89 model?

5. PETCOCK.... on... off.... res... all do the same thing.... lets me ride and run fuel into the banger box... do I need to replace the tank as its all in the tank and 2 bolts just give me a small plate with 3 holes in it

I am sorry to bombard with what may be stupid questions I just cant make sense of anything as what I see in the manual is not whats on the bike....

Thank you for your time...
When you read the manual for the CBR250 you have to flip to the end where it has the addendums for the MC19 and MC22 models.
Depending on your engine number it will advise you which specific model you need to be reading. Ours turned out to be a CBR250R model K (they range from H, J, K, L I think)

The model K has a section in the addendums which advises how to test the fuel pump and what it looks like ect.
Thank you: ) well turns out I replaced the dirty filter and.cleaned the tank of half the bikes weight of sludge and crud... but now the bassard me all day won't start lol
I'll check everything.you.guys have mentioned thanks heaps
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.