CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy this kit:Here
for my cbr600 headlights. I have looked high and low for some interpretable info on the ADR regarding motorcycle headlights, but vcant seem to find the right info.

I have heard that the rules changed, so its not compulsory to have your headlights on all the time. Can anyone confirm?

If so, could some point me in the direction of the exact design rules? I was wondering weather the halo around the projectors would legally count as having the headlights on all the time. Or do i have to have the actual HID's on?

Also, how far away does the indicator light have to be from the headlight beam? i think its about 70mm but would be good to get some actual information.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
indicators have to be min 300mm apart iirc
and the headlight doesnt need to be on permanantly, but most manifacturors do it anyway.
pretty sure (dont quote me on this) HID's are not legal if retrofitted

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
While I don't have the answer to your questions, I don't beleive that package would be ADR approved anyway, since you're concerned about legalities. You'd need to have them approved by an appropriate engineer, which suddenly makes your project rather expensive.

The ADR you're looking for however is ADR 55. You'll have to do you're own reading however. ;)

I know that cars need to have projectors, washers and an auto-balancing mechanism in order to be engineered, but not sure about bikes.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
dogcrapau said:
be careful.. it looks very tempting and nice.. but those halos got my mate a defect.
I presume they were using coloured angel eyes? Vehicles are only allowed to display certain coloured lights. White/yellow eyes would technically still be legal on the front of a vehicle. I beleive BMW have some cars with angel eyes from factory.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I don't have the answer to your questions, I don't beleive that package would be ADR approved anyway, since you're concerned about legalities. You'd need to have them approved by an appropriate engineer, which suddenly makes your project rather expensive.

The ADR you're looking for however is ADR 55. You'll have to do you're own reading however. Wink

I know that cars need to have projectors, washers and an auto-balancing mechanism in order to be engineered, but not sure about bikes.
Yeah, i was having a look at that but it doesn't have any info on projector headlight legalities.
By washers, do you mean actual things that squirt water or the washers that come with nuts and bolts?
Im pretty sure this lens has a solenoid that levels out the light, which takes care of that problem.

Also, Im not doubting you but just wondering, how will they tell if they are ADR approved or not? they will be stuck inside the headlight permanently anyway. So in order to tell they would have to smash apart the headlight.

be careful.. it looks very tempting and nice.. but those halos got my mate a defect.
Was the defect for the halos or did they pick up something else?

Cheers guys

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
HID's are illegal, pretty much full stop. unless you have a light set up for them, you will be wasting your time

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
nicko said:
By washers, do you mean actual things that squirt water or the washers that come with nuts and bolts?
The first one. :)

Im pretty sure this lens has a solenoid that levels out the light, which takes care of that problem.
If auto-balancing is a requirement for bikes too, I highly suspect this would be insufficient. As an example of one mechanism for cars (I can't recall which brand use this) there are sensors on all four corners of the suspension to gauge how exactly the car is currently tilted, and adjusts accordingly. It's quite a relatively high accuracy thing, which this unit would not be able to come close to achieving.

Also, Im not doubting you but just wondering, how will they tell if they are ADR approved or not? they will be stuck inside the headlight permanently anyway. So in order to tell they would have to smash apart the headlight.
See section 4 of the above PDF titled 'Markings'.

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
As far as I know, it is not legal to fit aftermarket HIDs. Haven't heard anything different, and doubt this would change. It is only legal to have OEM fit HIDs. The only forward light permitted (apart from indicators) is white. Colours like blue, red and amber are reserved for emergency vehicles. If you have yellow, it might be classed as a fog light. In which case you could be fined for having your fog lights on when they shouldn't, as well as defected for not having position lights hahaa... They could defect you for not having washers and auto leveling too.

I'd have your low beam on regardless. Look at the statistic for "car didn't see bike", and you'll understand why it's important to be seen.

Kudos for going down the projector path. Too many people think they see more with HIDs in reflector lenses, because the unfocused light shines everywhere (of course you'd see more as there is light going where it shouldn't). But the problem/topic goes deeper than most think. For example, you can get a lot of light on the road in front, so much that your pupils contract to accommodate the brightness. Subsequently, you actually lose depth of field.... so you don't see as far due to loss in visual acuity.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks heaps for the help fellas. Who would i ring to confirm the above? Vicroads?
Ive had a look at the ADR for car headlights, and there is a whole section dedicated to HID's but as far as the motorcycle ADR goes there is nothing, which i assume, would over-rule the car ADR.

So... this would mean, if there are no rules/restrictions with this then they wouldn't be illegal. the only thing i can find that would not be legal would be the fact that it hasent been approved by an engineer.

I will confirm this tomorrow when i ring whoever.[hr]
Eclipze:
I would definitely keep the headlights on all the time when driving, but it would be cool if i could turn them off for the coolness factor of the halos.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
im sure if there are no rules specific to motorcycles, then the car rules apply. therefore HID's are not legal (im happy about that, as HID's are bloody bright... like cant-see-anything-afterwards bright)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I doubt VicRoads would have much of a clue, but I guess its worth a try. I'd contact a suitable engineer for a certain response.

Without reading that entire ADR I linked to, I'm confident that there would be content either in it to cover high intensity lights, or the corresponding car ADRs would also cover motorcycles. It would be incredibly unusual for such a hole to exist.

Regardless, the endeavour to retrofit HIDs on a bike/vehicle that did not come with HIDs from factory on any model is so expensive its really not worth it.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Tromac said:
Regardless, the endeavour to retrofit HIDs on a bike/vehicle that did not come with HIDs from factory on any model is so expensive its really not worth it.
not really. you just need to make the HID high beam only if you dont stick to the law 100%. if you want it completely legal, then, yes, it it is expensive

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
i have them installed on my CBR600RR. its not 100% finished yet. i havent secured the projectors probably yet, they bounces when i ride on bumpy roads, need to fix that.

I rode pass a few cops and having had any trouble yet (touch wood.)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
smiley_666 said:
not really. you just need to make the HID high beam only if you dont stick to the law 100%. if you want it completely legal, then, yes, it it is expensive
Well.. Yeah, of course if you don't bother with legalities then its cheaper. :p

Just stick some HIDs in a reflector housing, fix your beams upwards and scatter light all over the place for everyone's benefit. It would be selfish to keep all of the light for yourself. ;)

As a note on after market HID kits, I've heard elsewhere that after market kits generally have a 4% brightness higher angled beam used for illuminating road signs and the like, which is far brighter than the 1% that OEMs apparently have.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
smiley_666 said:
im sure if there are no rules specific to motorcycles, then the car rules apply. therefore HID's are not legal (im happy about that, as HID's are bloody bright... like cant-see-anything-afterwards bright)
No offense mate, but to me, its better that i can see more than 2m in front of the bike (especially since i do alot of highway riding) than how it affects oncoming traffic. I know what you mean though, when those beamers go over a speed hump and burn out your retina. It pisses me off 2.

Plus, they are adjustable to how high the low beam actually shines (obviously not auto leveling though)[hr]
an0nymous said:
i have them installed on my CBR600RR. its not 100% finished yet. i havent secured the projectors probably yet, they bounces when i ride on bumpy roads, need to fix that.

Those lights look unreal, did you completely remove the reflectors?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
nicko said:
smiley_666 said:
No offense mate, but to me, its better that i can see more than 2m in front of the bike (especially since i do alot of highway riding) than how it affects oncoming traffic. I know what you mean though, when those beamers go over a speed hump and burn out your retina. It pisses me off 2.

Plus, they are adjustable to how high the low beam actually shines (obviously not auto leveling though)[hr]
an0nymous said:

Those lights look unreal, did you completely remove the reflectors?
yeah, i didnt want to. i was mod'ing it and dropped the reflector and it broke into 5 pieces. im looking for somewhere to buy just 1 reflectors.

but everyone only sell the whole headlight unit together.

·
Registered
594 Posts
technically speaking i thought anything that ISNT stock is illegal and can be defected.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
wins said:
technically speaking i thought anything that ISNT stock is illegal and can be defected.
Not everything. If you can get it engineered then its legal, and there are certain things which you can do within reason such as engine transplants that don't exceed date and power requirements.

Some examples are explained in here.

·
Registered
544 Posts
yeah my mate got defected for halos on his bike, it was blue. which was clearly trouble.
as for calling up VicRoads.. dont bother or waste your time.. they wont know anything theyre just old lady receptionists .. best peopl to speak to are engineers.. trust me i tried with the RTA.. same shit different state.

to anonymous
those are nice projectors.. im doing the same as well but im not goign to do the HID kit with halos, going to use white H7 55w bulbs. and retrofit projectors from cars that i have lying around. il show you guys in due time.

good luck with the kit..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts