CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wondering if it is safe to ride with ONLY the rear brakes. There is a bike that has been in a crash without any front brakes but everything else is supposedly good. Thinking of checking it out. I have no other means of transport at the moment, so if all goes well, was wondering if riding it back home is a deathwish or do-able.

Cheers!

·
Registered
183 Posts
your rear brake probably only does about 30% of the braking. if you only plan on taking 70% longer to stop.. by all means.. good luck when an inconsiderate fool in a car pulls out infront of you.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Trailer rental from servo: $45 for 3 hours (55 with insurance)

Straps/tie downs from bunnings: $40

Not putting yourself up for a Darwin award: Priceless

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Dude - that's just silly.

+1 to Darwin award candidate.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
No it wouldn't. I presume since it's been in a crash that it's not currently registered? If so, you'd need an unregistered vehicle permit, and if it gets found out that the bike is not roadworthy then you're in trouble - if you survive the trip.

It's just not worth it. Rent a trailer or have it delivered.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You need a pinkslip (roadworthy cert) to get an unregistered vehicle permit in the first place, so that's not an option either.

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
I've done it before with a freakin pillion, it sucked! Had no choice though when the brake lever broke.

You can do it, I wouldn't recommend it!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
its dodgy, but not all that hard if you take it really easy. i lost the front on a 4wd track the other day and snapped the brake leaver off at the base. had to ride home through some twisties. was difficult, but im still alive.

·
Registered
594 Posts
yeh i broke my front lever and rode home, its def possible if you know the bike well i guess...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Sif this is a serious question.

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
mitch179 said:
I've done it before with a freakin pillion, it sucked! Had no choice though when the brake lever broke.

So you did that but you complain about the lack of runoff at lakeside?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
depends how your riding is and how far you have to go.....
i wouldnt recommend it and im sure for around 150.......you can have it in a van back to your place instead of you in an ambulance to the hospital.....

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
Merudo said:
mitch179 said:

So you did that but you complain about the lack of runoff at lakeside?
here we go, it was roughly a 3 kilometer trip in 50k zones, slightly different circumstances I think, but if you want to pick it apart some more go right ahead.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Are you the guy that was saying you haven't ridden a bike in 6 or 7 years?

Riding a bike that you don't know, that has been crashed and has parts missing or not working plus a rider that hasn't ridden for a long period of time sounds like a really really bad idea.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Just to make it even more fun, try and wheelie for as long as possible

1 - 20 of 53 Posts