CBR250 Forums banner

261 - 280 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
So this is a massive thread dig but I now own this bike and just happened to stumble upon this thread, its now just gloss black rather than the repsol scheme.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
So this is a massive thread dig but I now own this bike and just happened to stumble upon this thread, its now just gloss black rather than the repsol scheme.
Gloss black! Bugger, that was a pristine paint job!!! Dude I sold it to must have dropped it.

How is it running?

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Can someone please advise how to restore the photos from Imageshack? I've logged back in after years of not being active but they haven't restored.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely doesn't look dropped, no repairs to the fairings or anything but it currently isn't running, haven't had a good chance to look at it but its choofing a lot of oil smoke and is making a wicked noise from somewhere in the top end, so imma have a guess it will be a ring problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its nothing that can't be sorted, I'll just put a good condition wrecker motor in, my race bike has a motor in it that was sitting around for several years in the weather and its now done 1000s of laps with nothing but regular oil changes and its still going strong. They are usually bulletproof.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
It had new rings and was honed so should be ok there, it did have 0.5mm skimmed off the heads and was shimmed up, do not throw the engine away!

In regards to the noise in the top end I would check the valve clearances first, after the head work, valve seat work and shimming they do settle quite a bit, I stressed this to the guy when I sold it but he was a bit of a noob so it may have been misunderstood.

The heads were ported also, strip it down and check it out, if something has gone wrong a new bottom end bolted up and clearances adjusted it should run well.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
I really hope a valve hasn't hit a piston, with the tightened clearance from skimming and a dropped valve it may be likely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All the valve stem seals are leaking like sieves, an the exhaust ports look like a coal mine, but other than that the clearances aren't over tight. Heads will be coming off this arvo and ill report back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rod bearing on cyl #4 is gone to the point the piston has been lightly hitting the exhaust valves, my guess is the last bloke never checked the oil and it must have been consuming some. It has run dry at some point which would explain all of the above issues, also the bores aren't scored but I can barely see any hone marks which isn't great. Ah well I'm going to put another motor in it to get it back on the road.

Lane - am I correct thinking that it has RVF cams?

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Bugger, it had new seals throughout which I sourced from Rick Oliver who is an NC30/35 guru, they weren't Honda so perhaps they were a dud batch? Disappointing.

I believe the rest of your diagnosis is correct, started burning oil, ran low and bearing failed as a result.

Yes it had RVF cams, it actually a VFR engine.

·
Registered
962 Posts
fuck, that's a shame. Especially since pretty much everyone uses Rick Oliver for RVF/VFR parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's not the end of the world, they are still in my race bike, it let's off a little puff of smoke every time I back off which puts fear into the rider behind me, worked pretty well so far.

261 - 280 of 284 Posts