CBR250 Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
And what about the airbox tho?[hr]
And just cause we arent on it, doesnt mean to say we ARE. Ebay says Im not on the list and to contact the seller

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
The pitch would have to be the same to fit onto your engine, so the only issue might be a change in diameter, but I'd imagine theres a bit of room for play in there... worst comes to worst its time for a round file and silastic though ;)

EDIT: I nearly forgot to mention though, don't forget EFI though, it is -very- cool :D

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Oh, one thing I just noticed reading the sole comment on that page. There is NO choke. They are apparently marked "motorcycle race use only". I don't know how you think but in my mind that sounds like a serving suggestion. Given you live in a warmer climate, it shouldn't be a problem. On the other hand I very much doubt these are the factory items.

'tiK.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So one one hand ZR7 32mm carbs (smaller)
On the other insanity and possibly impracticle CR carbs
Then theres really out there with fuel injection.

No choke shouldnt be a problem - I live on the top of a hill :D

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think fuel injection is probably a bit too out there for me, considering I have enough difficulty diagnosing carb problems :S

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
yeah, but EFI you can diagnose with computers... and where the fuel is pouring out...

Its a whole different type of problems to mechanical problems ;)

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well the dude in the US has let me bid on it - reckons it'll be like $70 postage or something. I was like suuuuure it is. But you either want it or you dont, so I'll pop on a couple of bids for the insanity - as far as no choke goes, I'll have to carry around a little tin of aerostart just in case :D[hr]
Im sure this is the beginning of the descent into madness.[hr]
Also take a look at this http://www.keihin-us.com/fcr.htm

It says that a Zephyr 750 (close enough to mine) should use a horizontal 35mm. The ones on auction are downdraught 39mm

Will this have a huge impact to the point of being unusable?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Hessian said:
It says that a Zephyr 750 (close enough to mine) should use a horizontal 35mm. The ones on auction are downdraught 39mm

Will this have a huge impact to the point of being unusable?
Yes. Downdraught carbies won't work properly if they're not mounted on the right angle. That's why they're downdraught. A few degrees either way can be compensated for by altering the float height, but once you start to go 45° or so from their design attitude, you'll have problems.

This thread is a catalogue of bad advice, mainly from Drew. You're so keen to bolt a Microsquirt onto something, champ? Do it yourself. Get a mate to do it. Pay someone to do it for you, I don't give a shit. But DON'T encourage some other poor bastard to do it when they don't have access to the tools and facilities they'll need.

He lives in Rockhampton FFS. From a bike development point of view, the poor sod may as well be squatting in a mud hut in some tinpot central African "republic" and scratching his arse with a stick.

(Having done it before, I can tell you that developing a fool injection system from scratch is not as easy as it says on the side of the box. You really need access to a dyno and a wide-band lambda sensor to make it work properly. Even then, it's a frustrating merry-go-round of chasing unintended consequences all over the map. Very doable, with time and the right gear, and the results can be impressive. But it's not easy.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
I've read into it quite a bit and the Microsquirt stuff looks like its not too far from good to go out of the box. Theres an extensive community of people who've done it before and they've all posted up their experiences on a forum which I directed luke to a couple of times.

Mechanically you do only need the components which I indicated, I don't think I posted up any bad advice or led luke particularly far astray and considering that he's been fucking around with carbs for the last who knows how long. I've also mentioned that he'd need access to a dyno and the Microsquirt people (I'm pretty sure) have a system which interacts with tuning link for the Dyno Dynamics dynos so assuming thats the case you can get a half arsed dyno tune just like anyone with a power commander.

These things are pretty well developped from what I've seen, I get that you and a few mates designed and built an EFI from the ground up, but I can't imagine installing a microsquirt is anywhere near that full on, otherwise none of the Americans on the mega/microsquirt forum would have had a hope :p

It is a shame he's not around here though, I'd be happy to build him a manifold and fuel rail, then modify the fuel tank to fit as well as help with the electrical debugging.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok, well given Im living in the african "republic" of rockhamptonzwana, Im going to try the following:

Talk to the last machinist in town for the fixing of that bank of GPZ carbs
Possibly (really possibly) try those ZR7 carbs (32mm-34mm), $200 from SA

I'd probably give fuel injection a go if I had access to Drew in Melbourne, but yeah. And I appreciate everyones input, but I guess Im just trying to find the path of least resistance for a quick fix with bang for buck.

I just want to get back to enjoying riding and having a predictable bike! Hopefully the KV gets put back together on the weekend too.[hr]
What about these, lolz $1200

http://www.okshon.com/v.cgi?YYurl=http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c250442071

21 - 31 of 31 Posts