CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and did 100mph across the millau bridge. Hard not to really!

Some quick pics:



Stayed in this hotel for our first night in France, route66hotel


The stunning tarn gorge


An unlikely trio but it worked


The mediterranean sea


Le hog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,859 Posts
Cool photos.
That bridge was on Top Gear a while ago. Pretty amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
nice pics man!
im a civil engineering student ! i saw a documentary of the construction of that bridge!! cant wait to see it myself!!
looks spectacular..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,384 Posts
I suppose the harley is a practical tourer... thats the only reason you'd get on one I guess :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,648 Posts
Makes me want to finally ride to Austria to visit the inlaws instead of fly over. Need company though .. anyone here with a bike that wants to join me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
^^ unless youve sold the sv650 that means youve got two bikes. nudge nudge.

cool shots mr O. how far south in the country did you ride? theres some sections of the tour de france route in Ariège (down near the pyrenees) which id sell my grandmothers left nut to ride with a sports bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Started in Roscoff and headed along the west coast initially, then headed towards the south east coast to a small place called Vias (near Beziers). Just a short walk from the mediterranean sea. Essentially bisected France.

Millau was only about 120kms away so had to do it. Ended up crossing it 3 times over 2 days. The roads leading to Millau were stunning - carved out of a mountain side with several tunnels. We had lofty plans of exploring the ardeche gorge and the pyrennes but weather and time went against us. The south east suffered unexpected heavy rain and flash flooding while we were there so it hampered plans. Could've done with another week to explore.

The Harley was a great laugh. Ground clearance was it's real only downfall (that and vibrating my gear lever loose!). Piece of piss to ride at town/city centre speeds and it held 160kph without a hiccup and that was pretty much our cruising speed for the trip when we had to crunch miles. Surprisingly competent overall. I think the most we did in one day was 700-ish kms or thereabouts.

Thoroughly recommend French roads. They're maintained to a very high order, don't have much traffic and seemingly have abit of fun designed into them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,484 Posts
getnkd said:
nice pics man!
im a civil engineering student ! i saw a documentary of the construction of that bridge!! cant wait to see it myself!!
looks spectacular..
Yeah I saw that docco too, it was a serious engineering marvel to construct no doubt about it.

Looks like ya havin' a riot Mr. O. Maximum jealousy goin on here right now.


'tiK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,648 Posts
fortytwo said:
^^ unless youve sold the sv650 that means youve got two bikes. nudge nudge.
Nah sold that yonks ago :([hr]
Mr Orange said:
Started in Roscoff and headed along the west coast initially, then headed towards the south east coast to a small place called Vias (near Beziers). Just a short walk from the mediterranean sea. Essentially bisected France.

Millau was only about 120kms away so had to do it. Ended up crossing it 3 times over 2 days. The roads leading to Millau were stunning - carved out of a mountain side with several tunnels. We had lofty plans of exploring the ardeche gorge and the pyrennes but weather and time went against us. The south east suffered unexpected heavy rain and flash flooding while we were there so it hampered plans. Could've done with another week to explore.

The Harley was a great laugh. Ground clearance was it's real only downfall (that and vibrating my gear lever loose!). Piece of piss to ride at town/city centre speeds and it held 160kph without a hiccup and that was pretty much our cruising speed for the trip when we had to crunch miles. Surprisingly competent overall. I think the most we did in one day was 700-ish kms or thereabouts.

Thoroughly recommend French roads. They're maintained to a very high order, don't have much traffic and seemingly have abit of fun designed into them.
Why didn't you post up a rideout :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,493 Posts
Was there meself a few years ago as part of a bigger trip. Frech roads are simply the best in the world in this region. Great surface, predicable corners, lack of cars & good old 'love bikes' attitude in this area. Plus you're not far from the ALps if you really want a special palce to ride... Miss it bad :(

Will do my best not to jack the thread but here's some pics with bikes to get a nother view of this magnificent piece of engineering.










French Popo told us to 'le Piss Off' after a while cos you're not supposed to stop on the road taking pics - oops























 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,648 Posts
Thats a lot of pics of a fooking bridge :p

Look .. it's even built crooked :)
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top