CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CBR-250-MC22-Stainless-Steel-EXHAUST-HEADER-PIPES-/260624933329?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cae74e1d1

I need to replace my headers, and was going to get some stainless ones made up (because oem ones are not much less)..... but omg these are cheap, what do we think?

Edit: on closer inspection that welding looks like something I would do. Might be a cheap bling factor though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,991 Posts
the only thing wrong with those is that everyone says to stay away from etshark on ebay.. but apart from that they look good.. how bad could they be?
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chrissybenn said:
the only thing wrong with those is that everyone says to stay away from etshark on ebay.. but apart from that they look good.. how bad could they be?
yeah I don't like him either

and bad welding can lead to cracks and breaks, cheap stainless can corrode. They might not fit either :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,384 Posts
Ebay is the devil. Exhausts from ebay are the devil +2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I've ordered a full set of levers and a few oil filters from etshark and he seems alright - decent prices and low postage rates, plus all the gear fits like it should and seems to be well made. Not sure what other people have experienced but I reckon hes ok, that and the 'oozzoooy' seller who I got ignition/tank/seat locks off.

Why do you need to replace your headers?

- boingk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
I recently purchased a set of 4 oversized piston + rings and pins from etshark for my MC19, thought it would be good for a laugh, and for $100 for the lot, why not? Visually, they look fine, but i'll get the machinist to measure them up to make sure they're within spec before i use them. I'll post up the results when (if) shes up and running again. I was half expecting them to turn up in a dirty shoebox with newspaper stuffing, but surprisingly, they were all individually boxed and have "genuine" Honda parts stickers on them. The lengths the Chinese will go to to make it look legit, sometimes i wish they'd just be honest about it...gees.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
karlhoffman_76 said:
I recently purchased a set of 4 oversized piston + rings and pins from etshark for my MC19, thought it would be good for a laugh, and for $100 for the lot, why not? Visually, they look fine, but i'll get the machinist to measure them up to make sure they're within spec before i use them. I'll post up the results when (if) shes up and running again. I was half expecting them to turn up in a dirty shoebox with newspaper stuffing, but surprisingly, they were all individually boxed and have "genuine" Honda parts stickers on them. The lengths the Chinese will go to to make it look legit, sometimes i wish they'd just be honest about it...gees.
:popcorn:

From experience they will go clack clack once they warm up.

They are very cheap material pistons and they expand at the first time they get a heat cycle in them, so even if he says that they are okay, it may still clack.

I did get my money back and postage for the pistons, but never got anything for the gaskets I uses (he wanted me to send the old gaskets, dick head) or the valves that bent.

I have about 22 experience in restoring bikes, licensed mechanic and 10 years experience in CBR's before you ask.

You never know, maybe they have got the issues sorted.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
boingk said:
Why do you need to replace your headers?

- boingk
Mine are dented at the engine end, and cracked in half at the silencer flange. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Man, that sucks. Im hesitant about using them full stop. Did/does honda make OS pistons for old 250s? Rang a mob in Sydney, they told me i'd have to get them custom made.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
karlhoffman_76 said:
Man, that sucks. Im hesitant about using them full stop. Did/does honda make OS pistons for old 250s? Rang a mob in Sydney, they told me i'd have to get them custom made.
you do realise that etshark is selling oem size crap pistons with oversized rings don't you?

oem pistons were not much more expensive according to cmsnl as well.. (after conversion there was about $20/piston from memory).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Holy shit! Really? $20 per piston for OEM stock??? Ive been told that it would cost around $1000 to get GENUINE standard pistons + rings and pins from Honda Japan for my MC19, that doesnt sound right. No, i didnt realise thats what he was doing, but like i said, i will get them measured up just to be sure. Does anyone in Australia make OS pistons for the MC14e?
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
karlhoffman_76 said:
Holy shit! Really? $20 per piston for OEM stock??? Ive been told that it would cost around $1000 to get GENUINE standard pistons + rings and pins from Honda Japan for my MC19, that doesnt sound right. No, i didnt realise thats what he was doing, but like i said, i will get them measured up just to be sure. Does anyone in Australia make OS pistons for the MC14e?
Noone does em unless you get em made up custom.

288 Euros = 407.088608 Australian dollars

thats from cmsnl for an mc22. postage is extra ;) ohh yeah, and you will have to wait WEEKS for these bastards to send em to you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,384 Posts
If you're going to go to the trouble of pulling apart your engine - I wouldnt be putting myself onto something you "think" would be good. In my experience, cheap things are cheap for a reason.

The last thing you want to do is install dodgy pistons then have to take the whole thing apart. That sort of disappointment really is a kcik in the guts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,321 Posts
Just some more low quality mass produced chinese garbage IMO.

And about the pistons, mate your engine will blow up it's that simple, listen to the studs advice... It'll be an expensive lesson, more expensive than just buying the OEM kit and being done with it.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you bore can accept the standard pistons, then you can buy and use the MC22 pistons. They are about $20 each from memory (just the piston).

You must use the MC22 head with MC22 pistons

I'm not sure if you can still buy new MC19 pistons or even where to buy them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Apparently you can, theres a mob in Sydney called Bike Parts that deals direct with Honda Japan, they can get pistons for the MC19. Like i said though, its a very costly exercise. Will i need to reset the camshaft timing if i use an MC22 head?
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you get the MC22 cams with the head then It will just a matter of putting the MC22 pistons in and bolting on the head. I've done it before a few times. They go well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
i would steer clear from the headers looks like they have used a pipe bender and squashed and crimped the pipe. good quality ones like tyga use mandrel bends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Good eye, TJR. Not sure why you'd want to replace the headers anyway, unless they're crash damaged or rusted extensively.

I'd stick to reputable brands and limit yourself to a nice carbon-tubed straight-through muffler. Mmmm...carbon straight-through... :drool:
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top