CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've only ridden my MC22 about 3 times so I'm still a noob. It's always been about 15 degrees when starting it, and I've always had to hold the choke up when starting it. And I have to keep holding the choke up for atleast a minute or two before it will idle properly. If I only hold the choke up for 20 seconds or so, and then drop it, it will idle for a bit and then die..

Is this normal for an MC22? Should you always need to use the choke when first starting a bike? And should you always need to keep the choke on before it will idle properly?

Also, should the choke stay up by itself on the MC22? Mine drops down if I don't hold it up..

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,190 Posts
as far as I can tell, nothing is 'normal' with a cbr250. mine takes about a minute of choke before it will idle smoothly too but my choke stays up by itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
same boat.
except i'm too impatient to hold the choke up for a couple minutes, i just turn the idle up via the adjuster when first starting it so it won't die. then after a few minutes it will be idling too high so have to turn it down again.

(ps. my choke has to be held up too. like its a spring. f'ing annoying. i see all the new bikes don't have to do that :( )
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
If you lift the rubber cap under the knob that says choke you will see a plastic nut. Tighten this so it makes you choke stay on.

You shouldn't need the choke unless it's he very first start of the day or it's super cold. May need a tune.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,190 Posts
the choke mechanism does have springs to put the choke circuit closed, I think the cable is supposed to lock up though or something, or the actual mechanism on the carbs sticks open on some bikes. new bikes are generally fuel injected and have different fuel maps for cold starting, like an automatic choke.

Edit: as studricho said, first start of the day or when it's really cold, that's when I use my choke too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xotoby said:
same boat.
except i'm too impatient to hold the choke up for a couple minutes, i just turn the idle up via the adjuster when first starting it so it won't die. then after a few minutes it will be idling too high so have to turn it down again.

(ps. my choke has to be held up too. like its a spring. f'ing annoying. i see all the new bikes don't have to do that :( )
where's the idle adjuster?...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,190 Posts
come on guys, don't just go adjusting your idle to get your bike to start, fix the problem instead. it's easy and will save you the trouble of having to reset the idle each time you ride.

Idle adjuster is on the lhs side of the bike down below the fuel tap, in that area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
studricho said:
If you lift the rubber cap under the knob that says choke you will see a plastic nut. Tighten this so it makes you choke stay on.
Has anyone ever told you that you're a legend and they love you? Because that's how I feel right now :) Quick 5 second fix. This should be stickied with a thread entitled 'Can't keep it up?'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,329 Posts
something should be wrong
i've got a mc19 and so far i've only used the choke about twice
i left it out in the rain last sunday and came back and started it and it started first time without the choke
died after a bit, but started right back again second time and kept idling
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
alex92 said:
xotoby said:
same boat.
except i'm too impatient to hold the choke up for a couple minutes, i just turn the idle up via the adjuster when first starting it so it won't die. then after a few minutes it will be idling too high so have to turn it down again.

(ps. my choke has to be held up too. like its a spring. f'ing annoying. i see all the new bikes don't have to do that :( )
where's the idle adjuster?...

(left hand side).

(clockwise = idle up.
anti-clockwise = idle down).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Regarding having a problem with it, before I bought it it hadn't been ridden for a few months because the guy lost his license so I think it just needs to be ridden. Hopefully after a few hundred K's it will fix itself. If not, using the choke won't kill me :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,464 Posts
I only had to touch the idle adjuster when my bike had larger jets put it in. It was hard to get it to stay at a stable idle even after numerous servicing. My new MC22 requires the choke to be pulled up and then pushed back in after about 30 seconds. Haven't had to touch the idle adjuster to date and it purrrrrrrs at 1500rpm all the time. Kinda makes me firm just thinking about it......................
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Just like to add to this post, that I used to be in the same boat with holding choke up for about 30 sec or so until the bike would idle. I cleaned the carbs and richend it up a bit and it starts without choke first time every time now. Perhaps just a carb clean and balance and mixture adjustment would help the starting process??
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
viper33 said:
something should be wrong
i've got a mc19 and so far i've only used the choke about twice
i left it out in the rain last sunday and came back and started it and it started first time without the choke
died after a bit, but started right back again second time and kept idling
Nah, On my Hornet I can even use the choke. Kills it every time. It starts with no throttle from stone cold, idles a bit low that's all.

I've also had a few MC19 and MC22 that didn't let or even need choke to start them.

Did you know that a blocked air filter can act like a choke?

And Lol at alex92
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
hmm holding the choke for 1min?! i read on cbr250rr forum that the choke should be used no longer then 20secs. 1min is just to much, i know i dont keep it up for 1min! i usually hold for about 10-15secs max. These are only in the mornings though, especially now that its freezing.



alex92 said:
Hey guys,

I've only ridden my MC22 about 3 times so I'm still a noob. It's always been about 15 degrees when starting it, and I've always had to hold the choke up when starting it. And I have to keep holding the choke up for atleast a minute or two before it will idle properly. If I only hold the choke up for 20 seconds or so, and then drop it, it will idle for a bit and then die..

Is this normal for an MC22? Should you always need to use the choke when first starting a bike? And should you always need to keep the choke on before it will idle properly?

Also, should the choke stay up by itself on the MC22? Mine drops down if I don't hold it up..

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
roobars said:
Just like to add to this post, that I used to be in the same boat with holding choke up for about 30 sec or so until the bike would idle. I cleaned the carbs and richend it up a bit and it starts without choke first time every time now. Perhaps just a carb clean and balance and mixture adjustment would help the starting process??
Perhaps this is in order then. No time now, but in 2 weeks I'll have time. Until then I'll keep riding it and see if it corrects itself. If not, I'll give the carby a good clean. I meant to do this when I first got it but had no time.

I think there's a thread somewhere on this forum that tells you how to clean the carby. Is it worth buying some Motul Carby Cleaner as well?..

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tromac said:
getnkd said:
i know i dont keep it up for 1min! i usually hold for about 10-15secs max. These are only in the mornings though, especially now that its freezing.
:lol:
I get plenty of spam emails about viagra special offers dude. Give me your email address and ill forward them to you :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
For me I just turn the idle adjuster a bit higher it starts with no worries. When I used to use the choke it would flood half the time. Now I resist touching the evil choke. But it also helps having a good battery and clean plugs.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top