CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after not being ridden all winter, I wheeled out my 2012 CBR250R (3400 miles), and, to heat the oil up before changing it, I started the bike up. I had done no tank drain, or battery disconnect or anything for the winter, yet the bike started up perfectly. The temperature outside here was high 50's to low 60's. After a perfectly smooth oil and filter change, I rolled the bike out to the street, started her up, and took her for a 3 mile spin to the main road and back. About 2 min into my ride, I was on the main road doing about 55mph when all of the sudden the rpms shot down to near zero and the bike almost felt like it locked up and I squirreled over to the side of the road. I immediately looked behind me for a fluid leak...nothing. Stood the bike up to check the oil level. Perfect. Fuel gauge: 3/4 full. The starter turns, but the engine won't fire up.

I walked bike home, and on the last little hill before my house, I hopped on and roll started her, and she fired right up and rode for 300 yards or so. When I slowed down at the stop sign right outside my house, the same thing happened where the rpms slowed way down and the engine shut itself off.

Back in the garage I:

-checked the air filter and air box for obstructions. Filter looks good, nothing in the airbox.
-pulled the spark plug and checked for sparking: good clean plug, good clean spark
-drained the fuel tank (got messy...still airing out the garage), put new fuel in, and still nothing.

So now, I have no idea what to do. Fuel pump maybe??

Help!!

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Battery is probably fucked.
Healthy battery should read 12.6v with ignition off. Voltage should drop no lower than 10v when under load( starter is pressed )
No lower than 13v when engine is running and no higher than 14.6v when engine is revved.

Battery probably had just enough juice for a couple of starts, and is no longer accepting charge. Disconnect battery when storing.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Fuel filter could have something in it too...

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Probably wouldnt hurt to either drain the tank or top it off with fresh stuff. Three months will destroy fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should have mentioned: battery check was normal.

Also, I've ruled out the fuel filter. When draining the tank, I disconnected the output line from the filter to drain it, and fuel flowed freely from the filter.

At this point, I think the problem pretty much has to be the injector or the fuel pump. Without replacing each one, I'm not sure how to go about ensuring that replacing one or the other will actually solve the problem. My next step will be to pull the high pressure line off the pump, crank it, and see if the pump will push fuel out. If it does, I'll have to assume the pump is fine, and the problem is the injector.

Thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts