CBR250 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer advice on how you go about protecting yourself (and bike) when you sell it privately and a prospective buyer wants to test ride it. Not sure if there is some sort of indemnity form that you can get them to sign before they ride it. Short of asking someone to have all the money upfront, what is the normal process I should be following so that I have my ass covered in the event that they damage the bike.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
insurance.

they wouldnt be a named rider obviously but im pretty sure you can still claim if they bin it.

make them sign something stating that they would be paying the excess at the least, in case of an accident

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
When I test rode my ciblet, the owner was a cop and had his mate on a TLR follow me. I thought it was a good way of doing it. If someone wanted to test ride my road bike, I'd definitely follow them on the bike I bought to replace it :D

Write up a contract that notes their name, license number, and their agreement that they will not be covered in the event of an accident by your insurance, that they test ride at their own risk, and that they agree to pay for any damage they cause to the bike in the event of an accident. Make them sign it.

CB, why should he have to pay higher insurance premiums for the next 5 years because some random rides like a *** and his shit's all retarded?

Justin.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chrissybenn said:
insurance.

they wouldnt be a named rider obviously but im pretty sure you can still claim if they bin it.

make them sign something stating that they would be paying the excess at the least, in case of an accident
Thanks Chris. You got your licence back yet and do you have a new bike?[hr]
sir.b said:
When I test rode my ciblet, the owner was a cop and had his mate on a TLR follow me. I thought it was a good way of doing it. If someone wanted to test ride my road bike, I'd definitely follow them on the bike I bought to replace it :D

Write up a contract that notes their name, license number, and their agreement that they will not be covered in the event of an accident by your insurance, that they test ride at their own risk, and that they agree to pay for any damage they cause to the bike in the event of an accident. Make them sign it.

CB, why should he have to pay higher insurance premiums for the next 5 years because some random rides like a *** and his shit's all retarded?

Justin.
Thanks for your input Justin. I was thinking of writing up a contract to that effect so I might just do so. Got a few dudes looking at my bike over the weeekend and just wanna make sure shit doesn't go pearshaped.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
money up front, always!!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I just take a photo of their licence with my phone. Its all the details needed. I never thought about them stacking. I have always made them verbally agree to 'you break it you bought it' but I doubt that would stand up in court.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
zane said:
Depends how quickly you want to sell the bike I guess. There's no way I'd ever give money up front, I'm not getting a bank cheque or bringing thousands of dollars in cash to test ride a bike.

Justin.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
dayeve said:
I just take a photo of their licence with my phone. Its all the details needed. I never thought about them stacking. I have always made them verbally agree to 'you break it you bought it' but I doubt that would stand up in court.
i doubt it would either, and i also doubt if they did stack it then they'd live up to that verbal agreement. that's why there should be something a bit more than a verbal agreement before hand.[hr]
sir.b said:
zane said:
Depends how quickly you want to sell the bike I guess. There's no way I'd ever give money up front, I'm not getting a bank cheque or bringing thousands of dollars in cash to test ride a bike.

Justin.
what would you agree to being a suitable requirement if the seller insisted on money up front to test ride?

because i'd insist on money up front for a test ride.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Ask them to bring papers for whatever they drive/ride to test you bike. Get them to sign their car or bike over to you while they test ride your bike. If they return it then give them back the papers. If they damage your bike demand payment or take ownership of their transport sell it to pay for repairs to the bike.

Actually fuck that. Its too complicated. Just write up an agreement that if they stack then they are to pay for all damages.

If someone has written one of these can you post it up so I can use it?

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Scotty said:
what would you agree to being a suitable requirement if the seller insisted on money up front to test ride?
I don't understand what this means sorry?

Justin.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
sir.b said:
Scotty said:
I don't understand what this means sorry?

Justin.
well say i was selling a bike you wanted to testride and i inform you that i insist on money up front for a test ride what would you response be considering you said you wouldn't give money up front. there would have to be some sort of requirement that both parties agreed on for the test ride to take place. maybe i should of used the word alternative in my initial post.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Most I'd do is agree, in writing, to take responsibility for it, as I'm suggesting others should do. Honestly, anything more than that is a pain in the arse, there's plenty of bikes, I don't need the hassle and no one's ever asked me to jump through hoops before, I think it's unreasonable.

Justin.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
What, then become blood brothers and do some cock jousting? ****.

Justin.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
sir.b said:

Justin.
I'd be surprised if your insurance company wanted to record it as an "at fault" accident. From reading my PDS they just want you to be holding the guys drivers license until they return.

NB: The reason I'd expect that it would be a not at fault accident is because the insurance company can take it out of their hide... assuming that they don't want to just give you the cash for the bike and everybody forgets that it ever happened.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.