CBR250 Forums banner

The Red Key...

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  playwme 
#1 ·
Well when I got my ZX10R I got one coded key, the gray user key and the guy who sold it said something about the ignition system and it can cost a grand to cut a key and his friend was getting some sort of machine and software to copy the codes making the cost around $250.
I then had a browse on the net a minute ago and found some stuff on this red master key or K.I.S.S key and that you need to replace the entire ignition system or something if it's lost...

Are these keys important? I hear you require these for program cut keys or something but if that dude with the cutting and copier machine works his stuff out the he should be able to copy the codes making the process with the red key not to be required.

#2 ·
Fuck. I have been been meaning to look this up for ages.

I have moved house several times recently and have lost my red key and only have one grey key left. I have heard it costs alot to get your red key back but i have nfi where it is.

#5 ·
Yeah im pissed at myself for not writing down the numbers in my service manuel ofthe key tags. There is even a spot in the book for it!

I will have a ask around on the R1 forum.

#7 ·
I am 100% positive Jay. When i got mine I was given a Red key with a serial number attached and two Black keys.

I have somehow lost the red key and one of my black keys. So im down to my last one. Have a look in your service manuel it has a spot in it toward the front or the back for you to write down the number if you somehow lost your red key. Iwas an idiot and didnt do this.

#10 ·
When I got my R6 with a Red key and two blacks. They told me not to lose the Red key as it's $ 3500 RRP to replace the barrel, Immobilizer and ECU. But I know they can do it for around $ 2500.

The Red key is used to reprogram black keys in the event of losing one. These cost around $ 250 and its a simple programming feature.

#13 ·
I have to admit there was a time I lost te Red key and the Warrenty manual. I looked everywhere going nuts (but in the mean time findin everything else I had lost).:idea:

In the end I found them in the filing cabinet labelled under Bike Docs. Sometimes being too anal with paper work and important items can be make things worse. :(

#16 ·
I've got all the keys for my bike. That said, if anyone needs a lock barrel and ECU for an 06-07 R6 let me know, it'll give me an excuse to buy some more blang parts.

#18 ·
Black key for Yamaha is about $75 for a blank key. Be careful buying them from overseas as some markets don't have the immobiliser. Make sure it's labelled as a transponder key.

If you haven't got a red key there are a few select locksmiths who can read the code from your last remaining key and clone it onto an aftermarket key. I've had a few done that cost around $70 all up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.