CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so obviously my clipons have endured multiple accidents, as I found that both of them are bent in both directions?!?!

I can get 37mm clip ons, but want a new throttle tube whilst i'm at it. The clipons (most i have found) do not have any models associated with them, just "universal 37mm" and therefore do not have a bar thickness.

How do I purchase a throttle tube to suite an aftermarket clipon without knowing the diameter/thickness of the bar? and do all throttle cables/tubes have the same configuration as the cibby? (2 cables with hammers on the end)

cheers

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Perhaps I'm losing my marbles... but wouldn't a 37mm clip on have a bar thickness (diameter) of.... 37mm?

Justin.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
37mm refers to the fork tube diameter which the clip on is fixed to. bigger bikes have bigger forks.

Diameter of the actual clip on tube is standard. all throttletubes will fit as long as it maches the throtte cables (push/pull throttle vs pull only).

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cerberus said:
37mm refers to the fork tube diameter which the clip on is fixed to. bigger bikes have bigger forks.

Diameter of the actual clip on tube is standard. all throttletubes will fit as long as it maches the throtte cables (push/pull throttle vs pull only).
awesome man, thanks!

Why are there 2 grip sizes tho?

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
yes, 37mm refers to the fork tube diameter, the bar diameter should be standard at 22mm I think.

Do you mean that one grip has a larger ID than the other? or that there are actually two different sizes?

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Matt said:
circumference maybe...
Cerby's explanation sounds legit, ie, the quoted figure is the diameter of the part of the clip on that attaches to the fork, not the diameter of the clip on itself.

Justin.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
LOL!! the reason two grips are diff diameter cos one has to fit over a throttle tube while the other doesnt. the grips are left and right specific.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
I did get some grips the other day that were too small, so I was asking whether roobars meant that there are actually two different bar size standards.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
^^^^ yeah but were both grips the same size? or you only tried one? cos you could have had them the wrong way around.. ie the LHS grip will be too small to fit over the throttle tube.

i am yet to see grips for motorbikes that are other than the right size... could be wrong of course...

(PS. once upon a time when i was a noob i did take a set of grips back to the shop and said they dont fit.. lets just say it was a lesson i would not live down for a long long long time :p)

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
:lol:

they say left and right on them... although I did just go and measure them and the left is 22mm and the right is slightly larger so maybe I'm just not trying hard enough to get them on.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
banana.logic said:
:lol:

they say left and right on them... although I did just go and measure them and the left is 22mm and the right is slightly larger so maybe I'm just not trying hard enough to get them on.
spray inside of the grips with hair spray. it will help you to put them on and when it dries will help to keep them stuck on so they dont spin.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Turns out I wasn't trying hard enough, I put them in hot water for a minute to soften them up and then just pushed pretty hard and they slid on slowly.

I don't own any hair spray though :dodgy:

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
only hair spray i own is in my tool box and its only used to fit grips....... and make myself look fabiulous when working on the bike of course!! no excuse not to look sexy when covered in grease and swearing at that bolt that wont come out! lol

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Wow, I'm retarded. I didn't know about the two sizes thing. About two weeks ago I spent half an hour with a rubber mallet bashing on my grips. I probably should have tried switching them.
Fail

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was refering to some ebay grips available in 2 different sizes for the set..... yes I am aware that the left and right are different sizes lol!

Might have been bad wording on the advertisement.

available sizes - 7/8 and 1"

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Most bikes use a standard grip size. but some bikes mainly cruisers an Harley use a larger size for a more relaxed and open hand position

1 - 19 of 19 Posts