CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2087 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit bored, and thus a thread is born.

I vaguely remember a number of people in past threads either wanting to start training in some way or another, or who already trained and offered advice. In theory, this thread could be a place for a continued discussion on training, keeping people accountable, etcetc.

I train mainly for strength myself, things have been humming along nicely since getting back into things after my accident. I've been back at it for roughly 8 weeks, and most of my training goals for the year are on track.

Today is the first of my light/recovery days, and will involve:

Squats 3x10
Band hip extensions 3x10

Hill sprints till I see Jesus (this will not take long as I have not done any conditioning since the accident).

So feel free to post up your own workouts, progress, ask questions (I'm involved in the industry and I know at least one other on this board is also), debate who can bench more and thus whose penis is more pleasing to the opposite sex, offer encouragement etc!

Edit: Let's spruce this up a bit. Motivation!
Defrancos' Training

Olympic Weightlifting, where 40kg Asian women lift more than you:

Crossfit

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
RE: Training/Fitness

I currently go to the gym 4 times a week as part of my rehabilitation (TAC) after my accident 18 or so months ago (broke humerus in half and shattered shoulder joint)
Lifting a massive 3kg weight and doing various exercises to try and strengthen the arm is fun times for all. Doing cardio workouts on the treadmill also.

Rehab works sucks dogs balls and although my arm is a bit knackered, I really feel for people who have more serious injuries and suffer more life detriment.

d

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Do you expect to regain full use of both? A shattered shoulder sounds particularly frustrating.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts

It's been almost seven weeks since I broke my collar bone, and I have just entered an eight hour enduro mounting bike race with two other guys. Haven't been on a bike for two months so training is killing me, I went for a 45 minute ride up and down the hilly roads of wollongong on my dually with some slicks on it, and my chest was aching by the end of it. Luckily I've got a bit over a month to get back into shape before the race.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts

mewnz said:
Do you expect to regain full use of both? A shattered shoulder sounds particularly frustrating.
Only my right arm in knackered. I just can't raise it up properly without looking like a retard.
Part of my shoulder has died due to no blood going to the bone so I think some time in the future I will have to get a new shoulder. Lucky it's all covered by the TAC.

d

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

I usually do 5 days training followed by 2 days rest.

I train at a power lifting/Oly lifting gym so I do one or two different lifts and then do a crossfit wod, usually what ever they have posted on the day or if its a strength/rest day I will do a previous wod and try and beat my PB.
Also rather lucky living near the Cronulla sand dunes and greenhills exercise equipment so on Sundays I get together with a few friends and we do a longer workout there.
Rest of my training is made up of Krav Maga which I teach and train in as much as time will allow.

·
Registered
13,792 Posts

Quo Vadas said:
Part of my shoulder has died due to no blood going to the bone so I think some time in the future I will have to get a new shoulder. Lucky it's all covered by the TAC.
That sucks dude, sounds like you're staying positive mentally which is good though.

Justin.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Only recently started going back to the gym a little over two weeks ago now.

My workout consists of only resistance training.

Monday: Chest and abdominals
Tuesday: Back, shoulders and obliques
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Arms(bis/tris/forearms) and abdominals
Friday: Abdominals and obliques

Usually I go for about an hour and a half sessions, but just getting back in to the swing of things, i've not been training abs and obliques as much so apart from leg days, i've only been going for 1 hour long sessions recently.

I've decided i'm going to add in an extra day on the weekend particularly for triceps, as I find that I can never get as good a pump on my triceps as my biceps.
If my muscles are hurting the next 2 days I know i've ripped it up at the gym on that day :) Hate looking like a spastic after leg days though :lol:

My only training goal for this year is to get RIPPED. Currently putting together a nutrition program that will optimise my hard work at the gym. I think people forget that nutrition is the key to a good training routine.

·
Registered
956 Posts

arhh the crossfit video just anouys me. i remember in the last fitness thread people were talking it down, since then a friend on facebook has become obsessed with it. Every day every post is about crossfit and it jsut sounds awful.

what has that got to do with anything? nothing i just wanted to whinge!

Ideas on training see "Insanity" from previous thread

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Kritas said:
My workout consists of only resistance training.

Monday: Chest and abdominals
Tuesday: Back, shoulders and obliques
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Arms(bis/tris/forearms) and abdominals
Friday: Abdominals and obliques
Unless you are reasonably large/strong already, and even then I would have serious questions, this looks like it is a typical bodypart split which sucks for a beginner. What movements do you do each session?

EyeLuvBeer said:
arhh the crossfit video just anouys me. i remember in the last fitness thread people were talking it down, since then a friend on facebook has become obsessed with it. Every day every post is about crossfit and it jsut sounds awful.
Crossfit is only as good as the coaches teaching it and writing the daily program. From a strength perspective I don't believe it is very appropriate, so it depends on your goals.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Chest: Dumbell Press, Decline+Incline Dumbell Press, Flys
Back: Reverse Lat pulldowns, Low Rows, Hyperextensions, Lat Pulldowns, Occasionally i throw in deadlifts but i prefer hyperextensions
Shoulders: Machine Military Press, Shrugs, Dumbell Shoulder Raise
Legs: Leg Press, Squats, Seated Calf Raise, Leg extensions, Leg curls
Arms: regular bicep curls(6-8 sets until they're really burning), tricep extensions, skullcrushers and assisted tricep dips
Abs and obliques: i don't really know the name of most exercises, but mainly crunches, woodchoppers, and leg raises.

4-5 sets of each exercise, the first 3 are part of a drop set unless no weight is being used(e.g. hyperextensions)
That's it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Kritas said:
Wall o text
I think you would be better off on a beginner program like starting strength, 5x5, ws4sb etc. These are all available online.

You have some decent movements, but a lot more fluff. For example you should be deadlifting, hyperextensions don't even begin to compare. Tonnes of isolation exercises, compounds are your best friend.

Basically you need to build strength and muscle, the best way to do that is heavy compounds. Get off the machines and under the bar etc :p

I'd be interested to see your squat technique, if you happen to be able to throw up video.

·
Registered
903 Posts

just convinced me to start going to the gym again for weights, have just been cycling every day. Cheers cunce

·
Registered
10,130 Posts

I do karate. My shihan has decided that we aren't strong enough, so we are doing more core work. Mother loving son of a gun is going to kill me.
I'm more fit after three moths of karate than I have been for a decade. But we train for a purpose, which is to fight. I find it helps.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

Why the hate for crossfit?
It's a GPP program and for that it has proved itself head and shoulders above many others.
100% agree that it is not enough if you want to excel at something specific. Additional lifting, running, swimming is a good idea. But most CF workouts take less then 30min and are very potent.

Do a body builder split program if you are a body builder, if your after practical strength ect go see a power lifting/Olympic lifting coach.

1 - 20 of 2087 Posts