CBR250 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
-1 to the antilag, assuming stud would rather not be replacing his turbo well, probably at all, anti lag is probably not a good option.

i think it'll be just like any other new bike you wanna track, you'll need to get used to it and learn how to get the most out of it, but once all the bugs are sorted and your getting consistant lap times i think i'll be quicker, the extra acceleration and top end speed will outweigh the low end off boost riding i think.

· Registered
522 Posts
studricho said:
BLUEY said:
ive never ridin a turbo bike, but wouldnt the turbs say kick in hard ?, so at full lean on a long corner that opens up, winding on the gas at full lean then the power kicks in its going to upset the bike so give poor times, im sure if was just taking easy would be fun, but race pace would get pretty frustrating...but doing heaps of suspension work would be a must to get it to act properly, but would it still act properly at full lean tryin to get on it hard ? its a vicious power isnt it, or you can wind on smooth ?
My turbo charged Torana can be very quick to drive if driven correctly compare to the old work 6 engine in and out of corners, but if I push it that little too far (throttle control) then it can really get out of shape as you feel the suspension squirm and twist under the power from boost.

I dare say it wouldn't be much different to riding a bike with a N/A bigger capacity. You need to feed it on gentle.

I'm still need to sort out some basic running issues and once it get's on the dyno I will be able to guage what sort boost it's producing whether it be lineal or just hard and rough.

I was thinking that I could over the issue of producing too much boost in a corner by some sort of switch. Here's what i mean.

Let's say at 4 psi boost it's cracking around 50 BHP and that's pretty safe to give it pretty some stick out of the corners max lean.

Now the bike is upright the switch allows maxium boost of a gazillion psi at 1,000 BHP (okay, maybe only 999 BHP) so you wear down the rear fairing as you pull massive 12 o'clock wheelies down the straight for all the ladies in the house.

Does that make any sense?
warning this is a bit of a novel.
ok so this is coming from my turbo import (car) background, so im not sure if it can be done with bikes. however, when trying to minimise wheel spin but keep it on boost some people would use a staged boost controller, which basically means that say (and again this is car terms so bare with me) if you were to say have a rear drive car with big turbo and big boost numbers, 1st gear boost would be whatever wastgate is set at, you grab 2nd boost raises to say 13psi, 3rd 18psi, 4th and 5th it sits at 25psi.
from what i have seen (and used) this function is available with some good ecu's, but considering your not using an aftermarket ecu made for a car, perhaps there is another way of doing this with a switch linked to your throttle so, just like hitting a "high boost" button on a electronic boost controller have the same thing but when the throttle is wound round to the stop it gives you a massive boost increase, off full throttle it drops to lower boost, i can hear you now thinkn that this defeats the point of even having a boost controller why not just have it on max boost all the time?, but if you could have your carbs completley open at say 98% throttle on the grip, and have that extra bit of twist there for straight line high boost goodness, could this work?
it would take some getting used to, maybe.
you think you could rig up your throttle with something like that stud?
something like this would mean you dont need a antilag set up, which is basically a death sentence for your turbo.
and anyone who understands antilag will tell you that. as awsome as it would sound on your bike though lol.
well thats my 2c, i know i dont know alot about bikes but i been playing round with turbos n boostcontrollers on cars for a long time.
hope this at least breeds some ideas in your head ;)[hr]
oh just had another idea!
seeing as this is a track bike, and your wont be having indicators on it... the indicator cancel button would be perfect for this high boost thing. its spring loaded, and its in an easy to reach position. much easier than what i said up there ^.

· Registered
522 Posts
have you decided how your gonna control boost yet stud? think you'll run an electronic controller? or just a bleed type?

if ya dont have one i MAY have a turbosmart bleed type laying around in storage you can have, but i'd have to have a good look for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.