CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried google, but not with a huge amount of luck.

I've got 1/2 a 1 car garage (the rest of the garage is filled with stuff) and the cars are parked in the driveway so I only have a really small area to get the bike out of the garage. It's too difficult to reverse it in (because I have to push it up hill and weave through obstacles (like pillars - so I can't move them).

Years ago when my 250 broke down, the tow truck driver spun it around on it's side stand on the spot. Seems like an easy enough principle.

Problem is, I'm 5'3" the bike is just under 200kg (2009 CBR600RR). I can't even touch both feet on the ground on the bike in boots (can touch tippy toes in shoes) so it's not so easy to manouvre it.

I would have thought spinning it on the side stand would not be so good for the bike.

Anyone else have a solution of how they manage to spin theirs 180 deg?

Otherwise I'm thinking I might have to get something welded up (like a huge turntable) to do it.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
There's a reasonable amount of strength (mostly technique) involved in spinning a bike on its stand, if you're not strong enough you're not strong enough. Why not put some rotatable castors on a rear stand?

Justin.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWWnf0niufk

G

·
I usually grab the handlebar, the rear set strap then lean it towards me on the sidestand and use the sidestand as a pivot to rotate it. Mootavic was the first to show me that one.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
spinning on the side stand is fine for your bike but like justin said, it takes a bit of muscle and technique.

i like justin's idea of castor wheels on a rear stand, might do that myself as i have the same problem of the need to turn me bike around in the garage.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Spinning on the stand is ok for it. It's all about balance. Practice on a smaller bike first. You can spin the rear around with power but a) you'll drop it sooner or later b) you'll hit something before you drop it c) you probably don't want smoke all through your garage.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
And another way:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY6Xh5YyfYQ

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Glenn R said:
Hey, I know that guy!

Justin.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Glenn R said:
+1 for this technique. Much easier. And it will warm your tyres up so when you ride off you're not riding on cold rubber.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
well, you could get a sharp racing roller rear stand, or alternately you could build yourself something which picks the bike up under the sump.

EDIT: I should probably also mention that tilting a bike around can damage them, especially bikes which have the rear stand directly attached to the engine.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
alex92 said:
And it will warm your tyres up so when you ride off you're not riding on cold rubber.
:dodgy:

Justin.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Glenn R said:
On a more serious note, I use the 2nd method all the time (the one he shows at 1:00). Just make sure the handlebars are turned as far left as they can go, grab the left handlebar and under the seat (as far back as you can) and lean back. You don't need to be bulging with muscles to do this, just lean back and shuffle to the side.

Once you do it a couple times you can literally just walk up to your bike, balance it on the side stand and turn it 180 degrees in like 5 seconds.

I've seen a guy do it on an R1 and my brother in law does it on his GSXR1000 every day. It can be done with any well-balanced bike.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
After watching that you have to give some credit to your sidestand, I'dbe worried about it bending terribly midspin and being pinned like a flailing bitch til help arrived... :/

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Aduro said:
After watching that you have to give some credit to your sidestand, I'dbe worried about it bending terribly midspin and being pinned like a flailing bitch til help arrived... :/
Its pretty unlikely the side stand would bend compared to the likelihood of pulling the bolts supporting the side stand out of the frame or engine block, or alternately damaging/destroying the pivot.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
nice to see the blind still leading the blind on this forum

too bad you're not in melb i'd take you to the person who taught me this and the most important thing is, you need to use your left foot to keep the stand from giving way

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Drew said:
Aduro said:
Its pretty unlikely the side stand would bend compared to the likelihood of pulling the bolts supporting the side stand out of the frame or engine block, or alternately damaging/destroying the pivot.
An ever so comforting thought...

I'll prob give this a go tomorrow nonetheless, ive been backing down my long steep driveway everyday sliding on the ever-damp grass and shit.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
A mate of mine was a bike mechanic for 20 years and would have spun thousands of bikes on their stands in his time, I don't think he would have kept doing it if he ever broke one. I think the more likely failure would be dropping it, but even that would be hard to do.

Oh, and guys, don't feed the trolls.

Justin.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts