CBR250 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a tyre plug before if so how much did you pay for it?

Got quoted by MCA for $35 for the plug "Plugging from the inside" and $50 to remove the wheel from the bike (Which I've already taken the wheel off)

Is this also a safer way than getting a kit and plugging it by yourself, if your asking I don't have enough money to purchase a new wheel and I know the only thing between me and the road is the wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
where you live? I'll do for 20 if you're in melbourne, if it's a small hole, use an external plug, technically they're illegal because someone used one inappropriately, but I use them all the time, and I can put one in for free, it's a loop of stringy rubbery stuff that you jam in with a needle type thingo, Simon 0432 509 303
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,539 Posts
$10 from my local tyre shop...[hr]
And in the one tyre I had 3 push through plugs and did 2 track days and a road trip from Sydney to Melbourne and back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
vitamine27 said:
where you live? I'll do for 20 if you're in melbourne, if it's a small hole, use an external plug, technically they're illegal because someone used one inappropriately, but I use them all the time, and I can put one in for free, it's a loop of stringy rubbery stuff that you jam in with a needle type thingo, Simon 0432 509 303
NO! bad infomation. They are a quick fit t
that should be kept in the boot of your bike. They should only really be used to get you from where you put it in and inflated the tire from to get to a tire shop to for a propper plug.

Those quick fixes come out the way the go in. After high speed and the tread around the quick fix hole wears down they come out easily.

A string bit of rubber and rubber glue wont hold your tire together for long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sneddy said:
$10 from my local tyre shop...[hr]
And in the one tyre I had 3 push through plugs and did 2 track days and a road trip from Sydney to Melbourne and back.
$10 from tyre shop, is that for motorcycles as well?
Just kinda hesitant to spend $35 just for a small hole

Thanks Simon I'm from Sydney

Yes I do have the plug kit with the stringy rubber stuff but I'm scared of the plug flying out when I riding to Wollongong or singleton :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
Never had a plug come out but they do tend to leak air, A inside plug is the way to go, cause it aint guna screw up,
Having said that i always use the quickies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,539 Posts
aj26 said:
Sneddy said:
$10 from my local tyre shop...[hr]
And in the one tyre I had 3 push through plugs and did 2 track days and a road trip from Sydney to Melbourne and back.
$10 from tyre shop, is that for motorcycles as well?
Just kinda hesitant to spend $35 just for a small hole

Thanks Simon I'm from Sydney

Yes I do have the plug kit with the stringy rubber stuff but I'm scared of the plug flying out when I riding to Wollongong or singleton :)
Yes that's for bikes. All that was put in my tyre was the sticky string type.

As I said, 2 track days and a nice long return trip to melb.

That said, nothing is fool proof - these plugs could come out - they are only rated to 180km/hr, although last time I looked at the speedo at EC I was doing 280... Obviously I found out about the speed rating after the last track day.

The inside one's are better apparently. But I wouldn't pay $85 for the repair and fitting. 2 punctures and you'd almost have a new rear!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,640 Posts
I got a push through in my last puncture, not the one's you do yourself as I'd prefer a shop to have done it. (wanted the inside one but didn't want to pay for them to remove the wheel) lasted 3000k's without a leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,971 Posts
Plugged it a few times myself on the 250 during the broke ass uni days. At one stage there was two plugs in the same rear tyre and rode with it until the tyres natural wear life.

Do remember it leaking air all the time.

If a plug did fall out I'd imagine it'd just be like an air leak not an explosion so keep aware of the feel in your tyres and be prepared for the probable inconvience.

Not %100 sure, but think I also did a track day on it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ouch, great guys. But I have superglue in the hole and I can't/won't drill it out.

I'm scared of the tyre leaking so fast that I'll just fall over on the hwys.

I'll get this plug from MCA and I'll see how things go afterwards.
Thanks guys !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
banana.logic said:
Hey aj, let me know next time you are riding down to wollongong and we can go for a ride or something.
Sounds good man, maybe pm me sometime next month your phone number and me and my friend will see you :)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top